2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - August

Caedrus

August is here, and with it, Malifaux 3rd Edition's arrival at GenCon!

This is the thread for the August 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. It's August! If you're in the Northern hemisphere, then it's time to take it easy, and stay out of the heat! If you're in the Southern Hemisphere, it's time for hot chocolate and Uggies!

July's birthstone is the Peridot. Time to paint something green, maybe with a touch of yellow!

The link to the painter spreadsheet is here, and I'll continue updating soon!

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2019. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value; but
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Titans count for 25 soulstones.
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.

Otherwise:

• A 30mm base model is worth 5 soulstones.
  • A 40mm base model is worth 7 soulstones.
  • A 50mm base model is worth 10 soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • Custom tokens are worth 5SS per 50mm base in area.
  • A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

We're now using the Malifaux 3rd Edition values!

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for August!

Caedrus.

10 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

It's Teddy time!

Classic Teddy! He was my first purchase alongside Pandora's original crew box, and he remains my favourite version to date. :D

For this month I'm going to finish off my Broken squad and add another terrain piece to my "painted" collection, since that seems to be going pretty well (even if the last house looked like ass :P ). I'll likely add a few Malifaux models to that pledge, but I'll have to think about exactly what. There's alot of options!

• Like 3

So... this might be a little ambitious for my August pledge. But hey - why not shoot for the moon, right? ;)

o8Fgz7s.jpg

For this month I'm aiming to finish 6x Infiltrator proxies (using pistoleros), 2x Sharpshooters (Austringers), a Wanyudo, 4x Broken, Zipp, Parker and a house. Wish me luck!

• Like 7

Started working on a friend's Sidir, though it'll be largely for my personal use I suspect:

pic4879905.jpg

Aiming for a 1-day paintjob. About halfwaythrough, both for the day and the paintjob:P Eager to see how far I get. White is done, though shadows may need cleaning up once all's said 'n done. I'll decide once everything else is finished. Beard is done. Skin more or less done. Purples, browns and metallics to go.

It's quite a lovely miniature, I must say.

• Like 9

Hello everybody,

this month I'll divide my pledge in 3 part.

1. A town house I'm working from the previus month. it should be worth 30 ss as the twin building I completed in July

IMG-20190804-181513.jpg

2. Three town wells (50 mm in diameter) for 15 ss.

IMG-20190804-181652.jpg

3. Plastic vintage Rasputina for 15 ss

IMG-20190804-182122.jpg

Wishing you all a great time

• Like 7

Hi there!

For August I'll try to finish the following models:

* Monster Hunter for 6 SS. Trying to finish all the keyword models for Perdita!

* Cornelius Basse for 15 SS. The new master in town, can't wait to lose with his crew!

* Bernadette Basse for 2 SS. The last model to be painted this month, 2 SS is too cheap!

* Three frontiersmen for 15 SS in total.  I don't want Cornelius to feel lonely. 

* Guild steward for 6 SS. Just want to see how long will take to lose the feather in his hand.

For a total of 44 SS. 

• Like 2

Hello I had few hours to go after my pledge.

I decided to give Rasputina a white robe. The challenge here was to work in a realistic way the shadows because of the high number of folds. I tried to go after this idea layering with airbrushed  lighter colours over a black washed primed robe. Here are the results so far.

IMG-20190807-155243.jpg

IMG-20190807-155249.jpg

IMG-20190807-155302.jpg

IMG-20190807-155311.jpg

On the front site the internal folds of the robe are till WIP, needing to smooth the black effect of washes:

IMG-20190807-155322.jpg

The base is till WIP too. It was worked with airbrush layering and washes. Next I plan to hand brush the floor stone.

IMG-20190807-155145.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

Hello I had few hours to go after my pledge.

I decided to give Rasputina a white robe. The challenge here was to work in a realistic way the shadows because of the high number of folds. I tried to go after this idea layering with airbrushed  lighter colours over a black washed primed robe. Here are the results so far.

Thumbs up for going white. It's a pain to get right. Looking a bit tame for my tastes currently. Though I suspect it'll look a lot better once the surrounding bits are done. Eager to see this finished.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Thumbs up for going white. It's a pain to get right. Looking a bit tame for my tastes currently. Though I suspect it'll look a lot better once the surrounding bits are done. Eager to see this finished.

Thanks. I have to decide a lot of things before doing them. The fur border all around the the robe could be dark blue or dark grey, drybrushed with pale blue and white, That will created  a good element of contrast with the robe.  I till have dowbts about Raspy leghs: bare skin or dressing stockings? Anyway Raspy must have a very pale skin.

I consider myself lucky because of the Venetian House and the City Wells to go after I can gain some time to think about best choices for Rasputina..... then I just assembled my team for Warcry and hope to can start painting it ASAP.

I've recovered from GenCon and have completed building and basing Dreamer's new box and a spidery couple I've had waiting for him, along with Serena...

large.20190807_221040.jpg.479401477a4a15862d57b79e3531e1cc.jpg

Altogether it'll be 70ss if I can get them all done (unlikely, but I'm motivated to get them on the table. If nothing else,  aim high, and if not, next month!)

• Like 6

Caedrus, reporting in!

Hello All! I had all sorts of plans for this month's painting, but instead, there was a Pale Rider sitting in front of me, that I had recently removed from its paint-stripping adventures.

Even though I knew the straps on its flanks were supposed to be leather, I decided to see if I could make them brassy. Sneak peek!

QqIMOOQ.jpg

So, that was kinda fun!

Keep on putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Teddy's all done. Ended up going for more of a dirty look on the base through a combination of accident and design. Think it's a good way to break up all that white but definitely something I could practice more with.

Decided to leave the grime and gore off the claws I was having a hard time balancing the red and blue as it was. Definitely something I want to try out in future though.

OjAGMjUl.jpg S33Wcj2l.jpg

@Caedrus - sweet looking work on the rider. I took the banding to be cloth-of-gold or similar when I first saw it. Think it looks fabulous as is but you could add some spots of corrosion or scratches if you really wanted to sell it as metal.

• Like 4

Yay August!

I have a tournament on the 7th, and I'd like to go with my whole hamelin squad painted (and if possible, all my outcasts), so my pledge would be

The Obedient Wretch
One Rat Catcher

eKP3Ysp.jpg

Stretch goals:
The 2nd rat catcher
2 or 3 Winged plague

Super Stretch Goals:
Hans
Hodgepodge effigy

Insane Stretch goal:
Desolation Engine

Yesterday I begun with some base colors for the obedient wretch