Overview/rundown of factions (playstyle?)

Warharan

Is there a place where a newb like me can have a look and find out what the playstyles of the different factions are?
(and do not tell me to choose the models I like. I cannot afford all of them in one go)
And yes; total newb. I never played Malifaux and am drawn in by the gorgeous models and setting.
I do however have a lot of experience in wargaming.

(currently I mostly play X-wing and ASOIAF but I played a *lot*  more over the years)

I am trying to narrow down which suits my playstyle best.

Any/all help is much appreciated. thanks a bunch in advance.

The problem is that each faction has a range of playstyles, so its not easy to describe them in general terms (For example, it would be easy to say Guild have a lot of ranged firepower, but that doesn't explain Lucius at all).

To help narrow things down, what kind of game do you like to play?  Do you like forces that get in close and do lots of melee damage?  Highly mobile forces?  Forces that control what the other player can do?  Ranged crews?  Crews that summon things into play?  

Give us a general idea what you like and we can recommend a Master that fits.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

Currently, I don't feel there is any strong difference between factions in terms of playstyles - the difference is mainly aesthetical one. However, within factions there is a whole variety of different crews, organized around Masters and divided into Keywords: every master has a Keyword linked to him and in most cases models who share a Keyword synergize with each other. Obviously, each Keyword has a different playstyle too. So if we are to help you, you need to specify what do you expect of the crew you would eventually like to play.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

The Web pages give a very rough breakdown to how each master plays, but it isn't the only way the master plays. (there are always people like me that play them in a bizzare way) (follow the links to the factions and masters)

https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux

Here is my last answer to a similar thread

It doesn't go into playstyles really, but its very hard to give a faction playstyle breakdown.

You can also look at the stat cards for all the released models on that link.  Its probably going to seem confusing and overwhelming at first, there are something like 600 different profiles, and its not always obvious how  a model plays if you don't know how the game plays.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

The problem is that each faction has a range of playstyles, so its not easy to describe them in general terms (For example, it would be easy to say Guild have a lot of ranged firepower, but that doesn't explain Lucius at all).

To help narrow things down, what kind of game do you like to play?  Do you like forces that get in close and do lots of melee damage?  Highly mobile forces?  Forces that control what the other player can do?  Ranged crews?  Crews that summon things into play?  

Give us a general idea what you like and we can recommend a Master that fits.

Ideally somewhat of a "parry-strike" playstyle.
In general terms; your opponent attacks, you evade (or parry, or soak) then counterstrike in the gap he (she) inevitably left in order to attack.
I do like strong control elements too.

If you're a total n00bie, one thing to think about is keywords.  Keywords in m3e are huge, as they identify your usual hiring pool.  An example is if your master is Rasputina, you can hire any Arcanist model, but if you hire December models, they should have some more synergy with your master than a Augmented or Wildfire model.  Obviously there are some models that have interesting out of theme connections, or versatile models that any master can bring without a charge, but when I think about master playstyle, I think keyword first.

For super high level playstyle (yes every master is a bit different) here's my call on the factions:

Guild - Have a lot of guns, can be a bit slow, usually a bit sturdy with defensive tech.

Rezzers - Lots of focus on undead, either summoning them or using corpse markers for effects.

Arcanists - Has a lot of focus on status / magic effects.  Distracted / Burning / Slow / etc are all big parts of their keywords.

Neverborn - Trickier interactions, more in keyword synergy than some factions.

Outcasts - Kill em quick or quicker, lots of hard hitters with damage focused syergy

Bayou - Similar to Neverborn, can be tricky and synergistic.  They also tend to be glass cannons with silly redneck vibes

Ten Thunders - Usually quick with movement / positioning tricks, tend to have a bit of every playstyle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you're kind of a 'take the damage and fight back' kind of play style.  I would probably say Guild would be a good one to look at.  Lady J is a great team to just keep beating on someone. As for control, there's a few flavors of it, but Neverborn has a lot of control aspects with Zoraida's obeys, Lucius's support of his models, or Pandora's misery conditions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warharan said:

Ideally somewhat of a "parry-strike" playstyle.
In general terms; your opponent attacks, you evade (or parry, or soak) then counterstrike in the gap he (she) inevitably left in order to attack.
I do like strong control elements too.

The first crews that spring to mind are Ironsides and the M&SU , and Von SChill and the Friekorps. They are both good at recievign the first hit and then being able to retaliate. I'm not sure if they will quite fit your style, but I think most crews could probably be adapted to ,match the style you talk of, at least as much as it applying in a skirmish game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/21/2021 at 8:42 PM, Warharan said:

I am addicted. :(

Wait, that sounds like a bad thing if you phrase it like that!

You are a happy fellow on this journey to collect and paint all the Malifaux models.

And we all know we can stop any time we want to.

• Haha 3