Press Ganging for Nightmare Molly

YAARRRR!

Ahoy fellow ressers, I've been smitten by Mary "Blacktongue" Bonnet and I've been plotting to make the rest of her crew to fit the pirate theme (and a few extras)

Grave Golem
https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/77627
This model is a perfect replacement for the grave golem, a huge amalgam of rotten wood and pirate ship goodness. Mary will never be far from her boat, even bringing it ashore with her.

Forgotten Marshal
So a long time ago I converted the metal Rusty Alyce and made her look like the Big Sister from Bio Shock 2, however being a metal model it is significantly smaller than the current plastic models and my craft skills are much better than they used to be.

If I could find a suitable base model to make another big sister out of I might try that again, however I am open to suggestions for a salty marshal.

Crooligans
Now I think the current Crooligans are just fine as they are, as undead deck hands and cabin boys. Might change the fence post for a mop.

Night Terrors
The Night Terrors are a bit of an odd one, as they used to be minions for Kirai and now they've been shunted to Forgotten for some reason. I think that they could probably get away with having their bases changed so they are standing on treasure chests, broken masts, bloated corpses, etc.
But if anyone has any ideas to make them more piraty I'm all ears.

Rogue Necromancy
A stitched together kraken made from various sea creatures. Could be quite the challenge. I also have a few dire crabs from Reaper as well as a couple aquatic monstrosities. Will need to do some sketches, planning and probably a hefty amount of sculpting!

What ideas do you guys have for Molly's crew?
Are you going as far off the deep end as me or are you staying to the shallows?

Bonus question!
How are you planning on basing your Captain Blacktongue crew? I was thinking ship decking, but the shipwreck golem would look weird standing on the deck of a ship when it is the ship... Perhaps desert island? sand dunes and shallows? Or do I stubbornly continue with my cobblestone bases so all my Malifaux stuff matches?

• Like 5

Forgotten Marshal seems well placed to be a disgraced navy officer, who has joined the pirates (perhaps because he fell in love with the captain).

Crooligans, spot on. They can just be deck hands.

Night terrors could be parrots (if you want to be super cheesey), or sea creatures flying through the air (Idoneth Deepkin style).

The description of Grave Golem seems solid, but keep in mind you can't use minis from other companies for official games. Rogue Necromancy also seems neat. Any sort of stitched together sea monster should do.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Night terrors could be parrots (if you want to be super cheesey), or sea creatures flying through the air (Idoneth Deepkin style).

The description of Grave Golem seems solid, but keep in mind you can't use minis from other companies for official games. Rogue Necromancy also seems neat. Any sort of stitched together sea monster should do.

Hmmm, I had entirely forgotten about the Indoneth, I'll have to take a look and see if they have anything usable.

As for the Shipwreck Golem I mostly just play at my local club, I don't think I'll ever go to an official event with Captain Blacktongue, I don't even think there are any official events in the UK.

For the rogue necromancy you could maybe stitch some different beasts together rather than the norm. Perhaps parts from alt huggy with the big tentacles would work for that. The Frenzy models from TOS could work too. They look like sharks and could be the base of the RN or could be a stand in on their own. 

I'm wondering too about basing. I'm not going to go so far as to rebase the rest of my forgotten crew, which is using a graveyard theme. I can't decide if I'll carry that through or or with planking or perhaps a dockside look with these:

http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/bases/resin-bases/round-lipped-ds-bases/30mm-round-lipped-bayou-boardwalk-resin-bases

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteampunkCake said:

How are you planning on basing your Captain Blacktongue crew? I was thinking ship decking, but the shipwreck golem would look weird standing on the deck of a ship when it is the ship... Perhaps desert island? sand dunes and shallows? Or do I stubbornly continue with my cobblestone bases so all my Malifaux stuff matches?

As for alt Philip and Nanny, I was thinking of her standing on a piece of rock fiercely beaten by waves. I think the restless sea will match the aura of the miniature quite well.

• Agree 1

Love the Alt Huggy idea for the RN. You might be able to use that and the Alt RN that is standing to make something really cool. 

For basing, if you are using cobblestones, you might try and find some Dock style bases that have some wood and some cobblestones. Then they won't stand out as much and still tie in with your other models. I swear I found some a while back, but of course can't find any now... 

I might use some balsa wood or plasti-card to modify some of my bases to make them more dock-like as mine are cobblestone as well. 

6 hours ago, SteampunkCake said:

As for the Shipwreck Golem I mostly just play at my local club, I don't think I'll ever go to an official event with Captain Blacktongue, I don't even think there are any official events in the UK.

You don't think there are any official events for Malifaux in the UK?  There are *many*.

7 hours ago, SteampunkCake said:

Bonus question!

That's kind of my big question this edition.  I used to base on "thematic matches" in the old edition.  But with the new edition I'm staring down the barrel of rebasing a bunch of stuff.  As far as your basing, I say "go nuts" and do something ridiculous like crashing waves or painting it up like they're all walking underwater, black pearl style.

39 minutes ago, Clement said:

You don't think there are any official events for Malifaux in the UK?  There are *many*..

There are many events, none are fully "official". ( which I think means is run by wyrd, so as far as I know is pretty much just gen con.) 

Even the largest event in the world (ukgt) doesn't always use the wyrd proxy rules for example...

I've been trying to think of a suitable replacement for a couple more models

Grave diggers
I was thinking maybe having a couple of zombies carrying a treasure chest, but not sure what models I would use for that.

Manos, the risen
I've heard good things about this guy, seems to be fast and killy. and when he dies he makes another model very tough. Not sure what I'd do for a pirate-theme'd Manos.

11 hours ago, SteampunkCake said:

Manos, the risen
I've heard good things about this guy, seems to be fast and killy. and when he dies he makes another model very tough. Not sure what I'd do for a pirate-theme'd Manos.

Manos is a lantern bearer, so perhaps just having him with his lantern on a base that looks like the prow of a ship would work. Or, since he also has a spear and extended reach he could have a harpoon (maybe steal one from a December Acolyte). Perhaps both. He could be like Queequeg. Since he's 30mm I don't think you could use a lighthouse on the base as his lantern, but you may be able to think of a way. 

So, undead harpooner with a lantern. 

On 7/29/2019 at 7:48 PM, SteampunkCake said:

YAARRRR!

Ahoy fellow ressers, I've been smitten by Mary "Blacktongue" Bonnet and I've been plotting to make the rest of her crew to fit the pirate theme (and a few extras)

Yes! I am! Michael is! I'll  be using the old metal crooligans, painting them up as Lost Boys (of the peter pan variety), Captain Rengrave from Warmachine as thw Forgotten Marshall, and the Warmachine Mercenary Freebooter and Mariner as Archie and the Rogue Necromancy. 

I can't  wait.

• Like 1

So my Shipwreck Revenant arrived!
I don't think my plan will work...

67420542_462179351272832_2022240211215319040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_eui2=AeGIi63-A1FPa0OKGHc-9knXQ71VPg5Vvb5gT29Bh1P2D5faHObP6oxbfONA9Zts6TXR3hK4KFRqDmN2Ov5VjqrOBlh3WaTaMoObFeRVFiRJug&_nc_oc=AQkxLwkG8XUJ76lU3Bsl6gPj4h1TJVaDB5s-GghaT7buk0Hftf-1a31LtM0czxK3bc5Xy5f51PFbnz0NuyfkGWls&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=051a6258be6121c70ce7ca4c86a6cf9d&oe=5DDF2DA3

It's twice the height of the Rail golem and it's base is way bigger than 50mm so sadly I can't really use it TT_TT it's so pretty though! I really wish it was smaller, it would have been amazing as a stand in grave golem =( so back to the drawing board sadly.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Mikes said:

You could totally use that. It's feet would overhang the base, but it's not like that would be much of an issue, especiaily given there's no facing n Mlaifaux.

The base it's feet are apart of is about 90mm across, it dwarfs the 50mm base it would have to sit on. I would never be able to measure from the base. If I were to cut the feet off of it's base then it would have next to no contact with the base and be very unstable.

For the grave golem for regular play, I'm planning on just sculpting a giant earth tentacle covered in gravestones.

You could do something similar but with treasure chests instead and the tentacle being made of water.

The flavour of the grave golem is that it is part of the eternal soil, so IMO it is key that it is made of the base material (earth or water), and I see no reason to make it humanoid. A big tentacle makes it seem more like the model is just one piece of the actual unit (which is really the whole battlefield's soil).

2 hours ago, SteampunkCake said:

It's a cool model, probably would have been better as an alt Archie. It's not very rouge necromancy-ish. I was hoping for a stitched together abomination of sea monsters and zombies.
I went ahead and ordered the alt rogue necromancy as I really like that figure, I'll probably just use that.

It couldn't be Archie, Archie got a hat, he's now "part of the crew".  If we're getting all the relevent stuff as alts, maybe we'll get serious alt versions of Crooligans, Night Terrors, and Forgotten Marshal.

• Agree 1