The Tormented Crew tips

psychogeek

3 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Also I'm guessing you were in Wedge or Flank deployment? Potentially start your deployment further away from them (you don't have to go to the front of the wedge).

You may find future matchups easier, as Raspy is a slow crew. On corner or standard deployment, it'll take her forever to get close enough to ice pillar you.

Nah it was standard deployment but since he dropped a pillar in 8" and through that placed several more (with the trigger) in 12" of the first one he practically walled a part of my army in.

10 minutes ago, Micawber said:

Nah it was standard deployment but since he dropped a pillar in 8" and through that placed several more (with the trigger) in 12" of the first one he practically walled a part of my army in.

Just to make sure, she was discarding for each trigger?

When taking non-melee.png Actions, this model may draw LoS and range from Ice Pillar Markers within aura.png8. Actions taken this way may not declare Triggers unless this model first discards a card.

When placing through the ice pillars, she has to be discarding to trigger the extra placement of a second pillar.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Just to make sure, she was discarding for each trigger?

When placing through the ice pillars, she has to be discarding to trigger the extra placement of a second pillar.

Pretty sure he (my opponent) didn't. I know he did in the end but he probably forgot in the beginning. We're all still quite new to 3rd edition.

• Like 1

@Micawber, there are so many rules to keep track of, it is quite understandable!

Just wouldn't want you to get discouraged from the matchup/game in general. It is certainly going to be a tough one, but sounds like you were facing a perfect storm of rules misunderstandings. As you learn the rules better you'll have a more balanced game. Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

Has anybody tried Sloth or Pride with their Jack Daw crew? They both seem to synergize nicely with the tormented crew by either plugging holes or by enhancing their strength further.

Sloth offers a lot of slow which in combination with staggered really slows enemy models to a crawl. Sloth also provides a great heal (worth 3 cards for jack) with a fair downside as trade-off. The ability to give a a majority of Daws crew fast if needed is extremely handy and with his sin token mechanic he counteracts enemy heals that would normally prevent the slow death's through Montresors and Jakunas death-bubbles.

Pride on the other hand enhances Jacks hand draining game even further. Prides sin token mechanic synergizes splendidly with all the terrifying in the crew anda late in the turn "this song is all about you" is a nice way to get around armor, which is something the tormented beaters normally have a problem with. Prides "Solo" aura is just icing on the cake and always welcome.

If you tried one or both yourself please share. I'm very interested in how they fared!

1 hour ago, Micawber said:

Has anybody tried Sloth or Pride with their Jack Daw crew? They both seem to synergize nicely with the tormented crew by either plugging holes or by enhancing their strength further.

Sloth offers a lot of slow which in combination with staggered really slows enemy models to a crawl. Sloth also provides a great heal (worth 3 cards for jack) with a fair downside as trade-off. The ability to give a a majority of Daws crew fast if needed is extremely handy and with his sin token mechanic he counteracts enemy heals that would normally prevent the slow death's through Montresors and Jakunas death-bubbles.

Pride on the other hand enhances Jacks hand draining game even further. Prides sin token mechanic synergizes splendidly with all the terrifying in the crew anda late in the turn "this song is all about you" is a nice way to get around armor, which is something the tormented beaters normally have a problem with. Prides "Solo" aura is just icing on the cake and always welcome.

If you tried one or both yourself please share. I'm very interested in how they fared!

I will be using Pride In my next game to try him out. I heard someone tell me it was good so time to test it!

Assuming you were playing Outcast Daw against Raspy, you NEED to take either Drache Trooper or Mad Dog with you.  They have Blow It to Hell as a Bonus action, which allows them to destroy/remove all destructible terrain within 4.  He's insanely useful to denying Raspy's main ability.  I personally would go with Drache, since he also has his Move or Burn tactical action (I think that's what its called...?) which removes Staggered and Slow from your models in a pulse.  And lastly, he attacks Mv, so Daw's inherent reliance on Stagger worked well with him

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought.

Could be Aionus a perfect fit for this crew?

I mean, not sure how many ways of turning allies Tormented, out of Curses, but even with Curse of Injustice, when tormented, this model could put fast on 3 Guilty, bury them and then unbury in the face of enemy models. Sounds like a lot of disruption.

When Tormented, he can treat Guilty as enemies and bury them with Glimpse the Void, what implies that they unbury at the beginning of their activations at 1" of an enemy model, wherever it be.

He can also give Fast or Slow to any enemy model buried at 8" of him, so easy fast (Guilty considered enemy).

With 2 actions can do (turn) damage and bury 2 Guilty. 

Then use Sutter Time to trigger again Glimpse the Void on another Guilty. 

That's 3 Guilty with Fast that are gonna unbury at 1" of a enemy model at the start of their activation.

There are 3 ways to get Aionus Tormented: one will increase the opponent's hand by +1, one will give him Staggered, the last will allow the opponent to move Aionus 3" then you have to discard a card.

If you want to try something a lil more out-of-the-box with Jack you could hire Sloth. I've now tried him two times and I'm really warming up to him. 

Just like Aionus he can either slow your opponents models or give most of your own fast. He can also heal undead models which is most of your crew. Heals are hard to come by in Jacks crew and healing 3 on Jack is literally worth 3 cards. That slow is inconvenient but you can always spent one action to remove it by giving the model fast.
His sin-token mechanic is very situational and should not be depended on but him slowing everything synergizes really well with the staggered the tormented crew dishes out.

I took him instead of Jakuna since the slow is kind of a nonbo with her hazardous aura and he can do part of Jakuna's job of keeping enemies in the ball of death while also suppressing most healing.