Bill algrin v komainu

Starrius

37 minutes ago, Starrius said:

So came up in a game. If bill algren has challenged a model and that model declares an attack vs bill. If the komainu uses "take the hit" does the opponent need to discard a card and if so or not why?

As far as I can tell, this is the worst possible interpretation of that interaction:

1.  Challenged model declares an attack, targeting Bill Angren

2.  Komainu uses "take the hit" to become the new target

3.  If Challenge applies, the Challenged model would decide "Nope, I'm not discarding a card for that" and "become the new target" would be nullified by the Breaking the Rules 'says it happens' vs 'says it can't' rules.  Leaving the original targeting in place.

The Komainu's ability states

After an enemy model targets a friendly model within :aura2 with an Attack Action, this model may discard a card to Place itself into base contact with the friendly model and become the new target of the Attack (ignoring range, LoS, and targeting restrictions).

and Challenge says:

Until the End Phase or when this model is killed (whichever comes first), the target must discard a card to target any model other than this model with an Action.

The nicer interpretation of that interaction is:

1.  Challenged model declares an attack, targeting Bill Angren, satisfying the restriction of Challenge

2.  Komainu uses "take the hit" to become the new target

3.  There's nothing else to resolve, because Challenge was satisfied at 1.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Starrius said:

Thank you I did think that the card didnt need to be discarded but this interaction I couldn't work out a flow chat to work it out properly

look at the detailed timing in the rulebook (p.35) it has pretty much every answers you need for sequences of things! Also you need to read your ability well. Look out for the timing of the action (immediately, after succeeding, after resolving, etc)