Build instructions

Antinea

Hello there,

New hobbyist (and possible new player) here. I started a few month ago buying some crews as I liked the models. It was a bit painful to assemble as both parts and built instructions are not very well designed and clear.

Fast forward a few month and I bought the new Youko crew box (as I fervent L5R player I couldn't do less). I have to say that there seems to be a huge improvement in the design of the parts and making them easier to assemble. On the other hand this improvement seems to lead to have more parts per model. At the moment I'm struggling to make some sense of the 3 geisha.

Will there be any build instructions released soon, and if so when? And, will there be the same kind of improvement seen on the minis themselves, meaning something that can be easier to read and interpret?

Important suggestion for the geisha:  Do them one at a time, probably don’t clip out extra parts early.

If you look at the sprue with the A B and C marks facing you, Geisha A is the left five columns of parts.

The parts are (left to right):

• leg and head
  • dress section and ?
  • sleeves
  • front dress
  • back dress

Geisha C is the right four columns of parts.  This one looks to be the easiest one to do, since the body is just two parts.  I’m looking at the parts on the sprue, I’m suspicious that you’ll want dry fit the legs before the body.  If you look closely on the back side of each body piece there’s an oval shaped flat area with a raised bit.  There are matching notches on the legs.

That leaves Geisha B the middle 3/4 columns.  There’s a notch on the bent leg that matches a weird inside-corner notch on one of the dress sections.

Each of the dress/body pieces should have matching notches and keys.

Wyrd’s currently in the “When we put instructions in the boxes, people complained” phase.  And in the past the build instructions tended to get updated in big blocks.  It would probably be a miracle if the build instructions got updated the week before GenCon.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally built all my Youko team and they look great.

Then restarted building some old 2E crews and minis (Colette Du Bois crew, Nelli Cochrane crew, Witchling hunters and The jury). Al went pretty good with little frustration.

And, full of confidence I started building the new 3E Basse crew, and specifically Cornelius Basse. And it turned to be a disaster. AGAIN, we have for building a model to glue and hold 4 parts at the same time (upper body, lower body, and the 2 capes). Because we don't have a built instruction of any kind nor even an idication this ould be required, my model is now completely ruined beyond recoverable.

Is it possible to get, even at a price, a replacement one and some proper built instruction, including a proper sequence of assembly?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 2:26 PM, Antinea said:

Finally built all my Youko team and they look great.

Then restarted building some old 2E crews and minis (Colette Du Bois crew, Nelli Cochrane crew, Witchling hunters and The jury). Al went pretty good with little frustration.

And, full of confidence I started building the new 3E Basse crew, and specifically Cornelius Basse. And it turned to be a disaster. AGAIN, we have for building a model to glue and hold 4 parts at the same time (upper body, lower body, and the 2 capes). Because we don't have a built instruction of any kind nor even an idication this ould be required, my model is now completely ruined beyond recoverable.

Is it possible to get, even at a price, a replacement one and some proper built instruction, including a proper sequence of assembly?

It just takes practice and experience with Wyrds models to get into the flow of things. You're not alone, my first few Malifaux models looked like TRASH with all the globs of glue where I kept trying to reposition shit or couldn't keep a piece to stick right. I learned over time that it was definitely me not taking my time, focusing, using the right glue, etc... now they're my favorite to assemble.

As far as replacements, keep an eye on Ebay. You can find singles or dirt cheap crews on there frequently.

I usually try to assemble based on the box pictures alone and will only look up the diagram if I am truly stumped. Don't get me wrong they have some SERIOUSLY advanced models in their lineup but as long as the actual parts match up correctly (*cough* The Wild Ones) you'd be shocked how well they sit in place. They're some of the best minis out there.