Rasputina creating Ice Pillars

DerSkalde

Question

6 answers to this question

For Rasputina's Ice Pillar's Action (and its Trigger Frozen Domain), no line of sight to the created marker is specified (either directly in the effect, or indirectly in the referenced rules).

It's as simple as the rules for Measuring (page 14 of the PDF):

Many times, a player will need to deter- mine if an object is in range of another. This is referring to the distance between the two objects. An object is within range if any portion of that object’s base is at that distance or closer. Any effect that references an object being “within” a dis- tance is talking about range.

With that written, one of the simplest ways of specifying a distance that does require line of sight is to specify the distance like Rasputina's various abilities do:

within :aura8

within :aura2

within :aura1 of it or an Ice Pillar Marker

or to use the word "target".

To quote the Aura rules:

The Aura icon (:aura) means the Action or Ability affects an area around the object that has the Aura. An Aura extends out in all directions from an object a number of inches equal to the listed distance in inches, as mea- sured from the edge of the object's base.  For example,:aura3 means that everything within 3" and LoS of the object is affected by the Aura.

(I blame editing fatigue for the fact that the line of sight requirement is introduced as an incidental fact in the last sentence instead of explicitly mentioned in the previous one.  Pulses :new-Pulse: end up being used in a similar manner.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/24/2019 at 9:52 AM, solkan said:

(I blame editing fatigue for the fact that the line of sight requirement is introduced as an incidental fact in the last sentence instead of explicitly mentioned in the previous one.  Pulses :new-Pulse: end up being used in a similar manner.

That is .. unexpected finding for me good sir :) (I came here in search for an answer on placing pillars) Goes quite against to how I would assume 'emitting' some sort of aura would work in "game physics" (which I would expect to not require LOS). Thank you for clarification but I'm somewhat upset :) 

Second question, Frozen Domain trigger.

When Resolving, create an addition Pilliar anywhere within range. 

Can range be drawn from the first pillar placed? Or because it is When Resolving both are considered placed at the same time? Or is it considered simultaneous effects, allowing you to choose the ordee they are placed, meaning you place one, and when you place the 2nd can draw LoS through the first

I'd say she can't measure range at the same time from her and from an Ice Pilar. It also generates a weird interaction because she would bypass the discard a card requisite to declare the trigger doing it that way.

Either she cast normally and then place both Pilars within 12'' of herself or she cast it measuring from a pilar, discard a card to be able to declare triggers, and then place 2 Ice Pilars within 12'' of that Ice Pilar.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, inbrain said:

That is .. unexpected finding for me good sir :) (I came here in search for an answer on placing pillars) Goes quite against to how I would assume 'emitting' some sort of aura would work in "game physics" (which I would expect to not require LOS). Thank you for clarification but I'm somewhat upset :) 

For what it's worth, while the line of sight requirement for auras and pulses has been in each of the edition* of Malifaux, it's also been easy to overlook to various degrees in each edition.  

* What I know of the 1st edition rules is mirky, I think there were strange times where auras were allowed to seep through corners and such, but eventually line of sight got chosen for whatever reason.  Presumably part of it was so that there would be a practical difference between 'within X"' and 'within :auraX'.