Make a wish. make a wish. What do you expect from The Explorer's Society?

belorey

You need someone to sell all these golden monkeys and crystal skulls to. A back alley curio shop owner with connections to all the wrong people. She knew that thing was cursed the moment you walked it into her shop, and has just what she needs to protect herself from its curse behind the counter. Annoy her and you'll leave her shop with a lovely relic that will leave you dead or worse in the next few days.

---

Claire Felsworth, Ghost Hunter, uses technical soulstone powered marvels to either recorporate and destroy, or immobilize and capture all manner of ghosts, haunts, and unwanted spirits. Whether laying traps or giving them a sound zapping, incorporeal beings have little chance against her. Your building will be ghost free in no time, given the right price. If she ever found out how her trusty sidekick drummed up business however, there'd be hell to pay. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rob Lo said:

You need someone to sell all these golden monkeys and crystal skulls to. A back alley curio shop owner with connections to all the wrong people. She knew that thing was cursed the moment you walked it into her shop, and has just what she needs to protect herself from its curse behind the counter. Annoy her and you'll leave her shop with a lovely relic that will leave you dead or worse in the next few days.

---

Claire Felsworth, Ghost Hunter, uses technical soulstone powered marvels to either recorporate and destroy, or immobilize and capture all manner of ghosts, haunts, and unwanted spirits. Whether laying traps or giving them a sound zapping, incorporeal beings have little chance against her. Your building will be ghost free in no time, given the right price. If she ever found out how her trusty sidekick drummed up business however, there'd be hell to pay. 

Maybe as someone to be a competitor to Leveticus, because that's basically already what he does.

On 7/30/2019 at 11:57 PM, Clockwork_Fish said:

I imagine the typical Lovecraft protagonist of a stuffy, high strung Englishman working.  He’d be the Nellie of the Explorers, not really attacking, but running around distracting and running schemes.  Mostly he’d focus on running away and screaming.

As for how a Lovecraftian crew might work, given how his stories tended to go, I’d theme it around Wp duels and weird defensive triggers and abilities.  For example 

The Last Words of ... :  (Wp/Df) :maskAfter resolving, place a scheme marker in base with this model.

Gibbering Madness:  If this model fails a horror duel, all models within :new-Pulse:3” gain Distracted +1

Grit (Squamous) - when reduced to half it’s original wounds this model gains Terrifying 12

A crew where if everyone is dying horribly then that means it’s all going to plan 😈

i love this idea but i change the effect gibbering madness for the next "Gibbering Madness: one per activation, if a friendly (keyword) model fails a horror duel summon a enemy deep madness in base contact with the model that make the horror duel and attack the count to the end upgrade to the summoned model"

the enemy deep madness its a insignificant 3/3 model with 3 wounds and incorporeal, but have the next ability "whispers from beyond: all models within 6 have reduced his wp in 1"

and the upgrade have its plennyful 5 but if the master of the lovecraft keyword its the leader increase the plennyful to 8, the upgrade have the next hability "the end its near: at the end of the game if the enemy leader is (master of the lovecraft keyword" before this crew add any victory point if this crew have 5 or more deep madness cant score any victory point"

I expect we'll finally see Sir Justin Cooper make an appearance. He'll likely have a Safari keyword with either a model or a supplemental box called Midnight Safari. I expect that hit totem will have some sort of condition removal and his crew will get an advantage when targeting models with a larger size, based on what limited lore we have for him.

We also have Basse, McCabe and Rollins, so that leaves four more members of the society. I expect at least two of those members will be brand new characters. It's possible that they've name dropped some, but I doubt they'll have name dropped everyone in the faction. So 2-4 brand new characters.

I expect that we have a sea captain, especially with the Gibbering Hordes' and alt Molly's popularity. Sea themed models are clearly wanted, so I think Wyrd will capitalize on that. I believe it will probably be an explorer searching for Meridian, likely an explorer from Earthside trying to end the chaos there, or a Moby Dick style inspiration. We could potentially instead see the captain of the boat name dropped in Seamus Crashes A Funeral become a master.

I think it's likely we see someone from The Council as part of this faction, because Wyrd's been pretty good about giving lore tidbits lately and having a Council member in the game would help crack deep lore.

So that's Big Game Hunter, Cowboy, Indiana Jones, Motorcycle Gang, Sea Captain and Magician. I think we could easily also see a tomb raider style master, but I think they'll hit us with something from out of the blue for the last one, possibly two, masters. They do want to surprise us after all!

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 12:12 PM, J4bberw0ck said:

I would just love to see something to do with the turn-of-the-century obsession with Egyptology. I was re-watching The Mummy (the one with Brendan Fraser), and couldn't stop thinking "these guys would make an amazing Malifaux crew". Still not sure if Imhotep and the undead would be better than O'Connell and the treasure hunters, though the latter might be stepping on the toes of a certain other treasure hunter we know about.

Maybe just a researcher/librarian who can summon swarms of flesh-devouring scarabs?

Imhotep with Benny as his totem?

4 hours ago, LeperColony said:

Well, except that there will almost certainly be more masters in M3E.  It wouldn't surprise me if ES were used as the vehicle.

Yes, when the new faction is officially released we will see six new masters. Bringing in six more dual faction masters would mean they'd have to also add two more masters. Six new masters is more manageable for a new release than 8.

5 hours ago, SteampunkCake said:

I suspect that we'll see most of the Explorers as dual faction and then maybe 1 or 2 will be mono faction

4 hours ago, LeperColony said:

Well, except that there will almost certainly be more masters in M3E.  It wouldn't surprise me if ES were used as the vehicle.

2 hours ago, belorey said:

That would break the balance of the factions (again) so i really doubt that la gonna happen again.

12 minutes ago, Yew Arcane said:

Yes, when the new faction is officially released we will see six new masters. Bringing in six more dual faction masters would mean they'd have to also add two more masters. Six new masters is more manageable for a new release than 8.

My first thought was Dual-Faction Masters, but then, the more I thought about it, I think its more likely single-faction Masters but models (possibly even Henchmen) that possess existing Keywords, so the level of Faction balance is maintained, but existing factions get options within the Explorer's releases.

• Agree 2

On 7/26/2019 at 5:28 PM, Gipsy_Danger said:

Personally I'd like to see a Captain Nemo inspired crew. TOS and fluff confirmed Malifaux has oceans, so it could be feasible

Hope to see The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, so Nemo will be great
also hope there will be ni more cowboy-ish crews

wild ones should stay alt mccabe, but monowheels should be alt for some cabe's riders in society

• 3 weeks later...

I want a master who is just an incredibly wealthy person who is out for fame and money.  My dream would be a support master who "pays really well" so his crew are willing to go above and beyond for "extra money".  I think some variant of Obey on them would be cool, paying enemy models to work for you, etc.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As I've seen mentioned already a master or henchmen with the horseman keyword would be awesome - would make me get the two riders I don't have!

Would be cool to see an enforcer bodyguard/security with the crossroads keyword. He could have an ability to let you take a single crossroads model as if they were versatile (and could be used in another faction if a crossroads henchman was the leader). Would be a tanky model with abilities to intercept damage. Perhaps lots of 'snap to' abilities to give crazy movement under the right circumstance.

Would be cool to see a puppet effigy with an ability to move upgrades between valid models - then in a puppet crew you could use it to move the fate upgrade around to change the emissary you get in turn 3. (Perhaps it's emissary could be the horseman?)

I would love to see a master in the form of a cursed tomb raider - part possessed by a demon, he/she must pay a blood dept for every action reducing its own health or nearby models (friend or foe). All actions could be 'charged' depending on how much health you sacrifice. Perhaps you have to use the models health and then your bonus action lets you leech health back from nearby models.

Story wise, he/she could be searching for a way to remove the curse/demon, while the demon is just biding it's time to take full control...

54 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

Would be cool to see a puppet effigy with an ability to move upgrades between valid models - then in a puppet crew you could use it to move the fate upgrade around to change the emissary you get in turn 3.

1. You can already take any effigy and put the upgrade on any one of them in a Puppet keyword crew, gaining whichever emissary it would evolve into on turn 3+.

2.  This isn't about Dead Man's Hand Neverborn.

27 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

1. You can already take any effigy and put the upgrade on any one of them in a Puppet keyword crew, gaining whichever emissary it would evolve into on turn 3+.

2.  This isn't about Dead Man's Hand Neverborn.

But, being able to change who has an upgrade after you've seen your opponents crew and deployment opens up great tactical flexibility. With other upgrades it could be very beneficial to switch back and forth as the game progresses. I assume we'll see a puppet effigy, so giving it a good use in a puppet crew seems like a nice bonus.

Also, as a new faction, from a purely profitability perspective, wyrd might want lots of tie ins to other factions to make it easier for existing players to jump over to the new team.

I didn't have Collodi in mind but puppet henchmen.

(I have no idea what's up with the block of white - it's happened to me before, seems to be a bug when deleting blank lines)

27 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

But, being able to change who has an upgrade after you've seen your opponents crew and deployment opens up great tactical flexibility. With other upgrades it could be very beneficial to switch back and forth as the game progresses. I assume we'll see a puppet effigy, so giving it a good use in a puppet crew seems like a nice bonus.

Also, as a new faction, from a purely profitability perspective, wyrd might want lots of tie ins to other factions to make it easier for existing players to jump over to the new team.

I didn't have Collodi in mind but puppet henchmen.

(I have no idea what's up with the block of white - it's happened to me before, seems to be a bug when deleting blank lines)

I understand what you're saying but don't forget you can do everything that the hypothetical new effigy could do except for the Upgrade passing already by running a crew with Hinamatsu as the Leader and as you technically build crews after the faction and Leader have been declared, that upgrade can go on whichever Effigy you like to get the Emissary later on.

No Collodi needed!

I think there's a decent chance of your "cursed tomb raider" Master though - the Daeva that were previewed a couple of weeks ago could fit nicely into that kind of crew.

9 hours ago, MrPieChee said:

I would love to see a master in the form of a cursed tomb raider - part possessed by a demon, he/she must pay a blood dept for every action reducing its own health or nearby models (friend or foe). All actions could be 'charged' depending on how much health you sacrifice. Perhaps you have to use the models health and then your bonus action lets you leech health back from nearby models.

Story wise, he/she could be searching for a way to remove the curse/demon, while the demon is just biding it's time to take full control...

This is awesome, but perhaps works the other way around: every turn the demon drains health from him, and if this kills him he transforms.

"At the start of this model's activation, it suffers 3 irreducible damage. If this kills it, replace it with Elder Demon of Carnage"

Elder Demon of Carnage cannot interact. at the start of its activation, if it is within aura 6 of a friendly model, your opponent controls the activation.

Then give the human side access to healing and early game stuff (summoning or handing out upgrades... Maybe hand out an upgrade that let's you be in the Demons carnage aura). 

Give the crew an accomplice model to ensure the transformation goes off. The idea being you start out the game buffing your crew, then you set up the Elder Demon turn 3 or so and turn it lose to kill everything without a protection upgrade (just keep your crew clear of it!) 

Also have to be careful of the enemy setting up the transformation in the middle of your own crew.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

To add more jeopardy, at the beginning of each activation you could have to pass a WP simple duel of 10 plus the amount of damage suffered. If failed you place the demon in base contact and bury the master. The demon could then have the opposite - WP test against 10 + health.

The master could have average stats, but can use health to increase them. Demon could have great stats, but attacks friend or foe alike.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...