Minions and Death

Hyperzone

Hey, just a quick question regarding people's thoughts on the critical effect system because I sure as heck can't find anything on it.

Do minions and generally "mook" enemies die when reduced to 0 or less wounds? I know that they automatically fail Unconsciousness challenges, but outside of Narrative time where you can Coup de Grace them on the floor, it is rather difficult to kill someone quickly through critical effects (unless the cards you draw are strangely high). It seems odd to gun someone down, and then have to stand over them pumping them full of lead to finish the job.

As FM, I've always ruled it that Minion rank and lower are "Taken out of combat" when they reach 0 Wounds: taking a page out of Feng Shui 2, I leave it up to the players if that means 'Dead' or merely 'Knocked Out'; I find it's a lot smoother for combat that way.

As for Enforcer rank or higher, I make a case by case ruling on when they are incapable of further action. When an NPC has Deep Tissue damage, Bleeding out and is permanently on 1 less AP, I don't wait until a 22+ Severe Critical to have them "taken out of combat".

2-3 Severe Crits are my standard before I start asking why the dude with No Arms and a sucking chest wound feels the need to keep fighting.

• Agree 1