Basing Materials for GH

dope_danny

So i've got two sets that after finishing up most of my malifaux stuff till the next wave i've finally started to crack on with. For my CotBM i found basing materials pretty simple. A textured rolling pin and some green stuff for some ruined cobblestone, some sand and GW texture paint, weeds and plastic lampposts and so on. Mad cultists in the ruins of london. Simple. The GIbbering Hordes however are proving a bit tougher to find some quality basing materials. 

In terms of what i already i have i have vallejo texture sand, still water, water effect texture paint and artificial surf/foam but thats just water and sand at the end of the day. Sure you could cut up some wood for half buried fences on a beach or something but on the whole what i already have works because its used with GW Idoneth Deepkin. Models that also come with little deep sea creatures and shells and coral and the like to really emphasise the whole mystical deepsea people. After reading the fluff on GH being a devolved form of Neverborn who worshipped Meridion i wanted something a bit closer to that but as far as i can find the usual sites are really lacking in ocean based fantasy base decorations which seems odd when i easily found over a dozen varieties of Mushroom for my Gloomspite Gitz for example.

I've seen a lot of people just kind of give up the ghost and base them on swamp/fen themed bases but has anyone found any coral reef type stuff i could use from any independent hobbyist stores? and what have you used to base your army?

I base them up the same as all the other factions. 1 I know how to do that, and 2 the battlefield is the same for both sides. The hordes may be from the oceans of Malifaux, but they are fighting upon land driving the skinny creatures from the surface.

I do admit it's not especially creative, but I'm actually using a very simple style for my schemes in The Other Side. Greyscale with minimal flashes of colour, so more complex basing wouldn't work anyway.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, dope_danny said:

I've seen a lot of people just kind of give up the ghost and base them on swamp/fen themed bases but has anyone found any coral reef type stuff i could use from any independent hobbyist stores? and what have you used to base your army?

I actually feel a swamp theme is the most appropriate.  GH is going to have to fight on land.  Seems unlikely the King's Empire is going to invest heavily in diving bells to invade the coral reefs.

One other alternative might be to set the bases where the water meets the land, like beaches or even city waterfronts/sewers.  

• Agree 1

One thing that could be cool would be some of the broken toad scenic basing material.  They make an atlantis style that could make sense depending on what you do.  I haven't picked any of these up yet, but their guild ball bases are pretty awesome and I'm looking forward to basing my malifaux models on em.

https://www.brokentoadstore.co.uk/index.php?id_product=1189&controller=product

Micro art studio does some deep water bases, but they probably won't fit / match what you want to do.

• Like 1