Waldo's Weekly - I Will Walk Five Hundred (And Thirty Five) Miles

Kyle

6 minutes ago, EagerPayload said:

While I do appreciate the condensing of boxes for store owners is a good thing the issue is the contents of the boxes. Them being half old half new is particularly bad because as this is ultimately pushing people like me away from buying these models at all. The special order system might work somewhat well in the US but internationally it will be a struggle. I'm from Australia meaning that we have shipping costs like crazy to the level where my annual Gencon order always ends up being double the price because of shipping ($100 USD shipping is a real thing). Having special orders for people in my local community and I would say a large portion of my country will not work as the price will probably be similar or higher than the retail box with the doubled up models. What should've happened is the new go with the new and the old go with the old. That way we will not have to worry about ridiculous costs or having extra models collecting dust. This is a really unfortunate situation because I want to have all the models but I dont want to have an excessive price tag connected to them.

How much would it cost just to get the box (versus the cost of ordering from Wyrd and paying shipping), as a general rule?  Because I completely understand your problem, but I know that for me, in the UK might as well just buy the new boxes that I want because it will still be less than shipping Special Orders direct and I'll just have a few models left over for conversions and stuff.

Of course, the ideal would be for LGS' to do the ordering of Special Orders so that they can be shipped along with their regular Wyrd order and shipping can be kept to a minimum.  That obviously relies on the distribution chain though, which has proved itself to not be great.  I'd wait till the Special Order programme details are published in September and then see how easy it will be to get things before worrying too much about the negatives of the packaging model.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EagerPayload said:

While I do appreciate the condensing of boxes for store owners is a good thing the issue is the contents of the boxes. Them being half old half new is particularly bad because as this is ultimately pushing people like me away from buying these models at all. The special order system might work somewhat well in the US but internationally it will be a struggle. I'm from Australia meaning that we have shipping costs like crazy to the level where my annual Gencon order always ends up being double the price because of shipping ($100 USD shipping is a real thing). Having special orders for people in my local community and I would say a large portion of my country will not work as the price will probably be similar or higher than the retail box with the doubled up models. What should've happened is the new go with the new and the old go with the old. That way we will not have to worry about ridiculous costs or having extra models collecting dust. This is a really unfortunate situation because I want to have all the models but I dont want to have an excessive price tag connected to them.

Exactly what I said. Makes more sense to group new models when possible to avoid unnecessary problems. Oh, and you have 1 year to buy everything you need and there will be models impossible to buy on special orders (effigies/emmisaries/Sammy/Abuela...) so good luck!

20 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

How much would it cost just to get the box (versus the cost of ordering from Wyrd and paying shipping), as a general rule?  Because I completely understand your problem, but I know that for me, in the UK might as well just buy the new boxes that I want because it will still be less than shipping Special Orders direct and I'll just have a few models left over for conversions and stuff.

Of course, the ideal would be for LGS' to do the ordering of Special Orders so that they can be shipped along with their regular Wyrd order and shipping can be kept to a minimum.  That obviously relies on the distribution chain though, which has proved itself to not be great.  I'd wait till the Special Order programme details are published in September and then see how easy it will be to get things before worrying too much about the negatives of the packaging model.

It would definitely be cheaper to get the whole boxes but the conversions and stuff isn't really my thing meaning that they'd probably be left on a table and be a waste of money. Ill will probably get the boxes and sell the dupes but even then that's not a guarantee (I still have two Wongs and that does not make a wight) and I will almost certainly lose money in the process.

As for the LGS doing them, you're right they're not great. We have a joke here that the February releases are the July stock. My store tries but the supply chain just doesn't ever work smoothly so much so that I have had my order for Will o the wisps cancelled three times by the supplier with no word to my store at all.

All in all I know this will only be a problem for a minority of people for about a year but it is still a problem that will have lasting problems in the community. I love Wyrd products which is why it sucks so much to see problems like these happen.

9 minutes ago, EagerPayload said:

It would definitely be cheaper to get the whole boxes but the conversions and stuff isn't really my thing meaning that they'd probably be left on a table and be a waste of money. Ill will probably get the boxes and sell the dupes but even then that's not a guarantee (I still have two Wongs and that does not make a wight) and I will almost certainly lose money in the process.

As for the LGS doing them, you're right they're not great. We have a joke here that the February releases are the July stock. My store tries but the supply chain just doesn't ever work smoothly so much so that I have had my order for Will o the wisps cancelled three times by the supplier with no word to my store at all.

All in all I know this will only be a problem for a minority of people for about a year but it is still a problem that will have lasting problems in the community. I love Wyrd products which is why it sucks so much to see problems like these happen.

Australia does seem to get screwed over more than the rest of the world when it comes to this hobby, that's for sure.  

I think the way to think of it is not as losing money, but as saving money versus buying them direct from Wyrd!  If spin can work for politicians it can justify hobby spending too!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SerZaka said:

Alps, Chompy, Coppelius and Dreamer . Classic six model box

His previous iteration had 9 models though right? I know its a new edition and that's like comparing apples and oranges. Maybe I don't know enough about Dreamer I suppose, I thought the Daydreams were so integral to how he functioned they'd be in the crew box.

Edit: HUGE fan of the new Hungering Darkness. Love the new artwork. Kinda reminds me of the creatures from the first Tremors movie.

Probably is just meant to standardize things . The Alps work just the same more or less (I think) and actually they are more useful for an out-of-the-box game for someone new without adding to many models . Just my opinion anyway.

Or maybe it is just for give every core box the same price more or less. 

On 7/17/2019 at 12:48 PM, Kyle said:

If you’re interested in everything we’ll have at Gen Con (and online during the Gen Con sale), make sure to give tomorrow’s newsletter a read.

You're killing me here... Where is the newsletter? :(:Teddy:

Seriously, isn't it like almost 7 in Georgia now? I've been waiting all day hoping we might get some more sneaks in the newsletter. 

12 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

You're killing me here... Where is the newsletter? :(:Teddy:

Seriously, isn't it like almost 7 in Georgia now? I've been waiting all day hoping we might get some more sneaks in the newsletter. 

There was a lot of ground to cover with this one. It just went live. If you aren't signed up for it, you can find it on our website here: https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2019/7/18/wyrd-at-gen-con-2019-newsletter

Thanks for your patience. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2