explorator

Contrast paints on Translucents?

I am about to assemble my translucent Jack Daw crew, and am still unsure if I am going to paint them all, but if I do I am wondering if anyone has put contrast paints over translucents, and what kind of primers others may have used.

• Like 1

Most of the translucent painting I have done has been washes and highlights. I've used a brush on primer (GW) in a few cases when I have a large section that I want non translucent. I am not the best of painters, but I can't say I've noticed a paint adhesion difference between the translucents and normal plastic.

I haven't yet tried the contrast paints, so I can't help with that.

I used a frosted glass spray on my translucent Nightmare crew, and they came out really nice. It makes them paintable with any normal paints (or contrasts), and diffuses the light passing through the models so it's easier to read details.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:32 PM, explorator said:

I am about to assemble my translucent Jack Daw crew, and am still unsure if I am going to paint them all, but if I do I am wondering if anyone has put contrast paints over translucents, and what kind of primers others may have used.

Interested in this as well. A lot of people have used matte varnish as a primer with translucents where they want to add depth with washes, or solid colours on only some parts. Really interested to hear how they work with contrasts though; I imagine one could achieve som amazing effects...