Please help with Kaeris.

NAX3011

You'll need Kaeris' crew box (has Kaeris, her totem Eternal Flame, henchman Firestarter, and 3 minion Fire Gamin) and the Burning Bridges box (has 2 Enforcers Fire Golem and Elijah Borgmann and 3 minion Firebranded), some tokens to count who has Burning and Injured, and a bunch of spare 50mm bases for Pyre Markers.  The only other model in her keyword is Carlos Vasquez who I think is still being sold individually like Iggy.

Not super sure what she likes out-of-keyword, but Mech Rider's always good

• Agree 1

Everything in her keyword (Kaeris box, Burning Bridges, Carlos Vasquez, Iggy) and Soulstone Miners are probably all you need to make a really solid core for her.

Played her quite a bit in the later beta and I never felt the need to hire much out of keyword. If she wants to play Kaeris exclusively then probably pick the Versatile stuff for the faction to round it out.

Other notable out-of-crew buys: Ironsides' m2e box has The Captain as a solid versatile henchman and the Oxfordian Mage could be a good OOK take in a Kaeris crew. Union Miners can be a great OOK hire any crew in the faction since they make certain schemes almost trivial to complete, Metal Gamin also since they almost guarantee the end game point for Dig Their Graves.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, madaxeman said:

Firebranded and Bormann - useful enough for someone who already has the 2e box with the Golem to pick up Bridges and try and eBay the second Golem?

Borgmann is a fantastic beater, and a Firebranded will probably make it in most games. I'd consider them part of her core roster for sure.

7 hours ago, madaxeman said:

Firebranded and Bormann - useful enough for someone who already has the 2e box with the Golem to pick up Bridges and try and eBay the second Golem?

In theory you could buy both (without the Golem) via special order (program starting in september).

14 minutes ago, mythicFOX said:

I’m a fan of Borgmann in the right pool. He adds a lot of potential damage output to proceedings. 

I’m woefully unsold on the Fire Branded.  I don’t see what their USP is for the crew.  They seem over costed for what they’re bringing. 

The fact that they can throw out a reliable 3-point heal is big for a crew that otherwise has very little healing. After that Promised to the Flame and Blaze of Glory make them decently durable. They're also a good carrier for Magical Training since they'll usually lurk in the back line.

16 hours ago, longfanz said:

In theory you could buy both (without the Golem) via special order (program starting in september).

Hoping that'll be fiscally viable.

I'd have bought the box and sold the Golem, but I can't see there being any market for them, as unless someone is using it out of Malifaux, it's gonna have next to zero value. Because the person who buys it is gonna be in the exact same position of needing Elijah and the Firebranded.

Only exception I could see are Sandeep players with zero interest in ever playing Kaeris.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:41 AM, CD1248 said:

The fact that they can throw out a reliable 3-point heal is big for a crew that otherwise has very little healing. After that Promised to the Flame and Blaze of Glory make them decently durable. They're also a good carrier for Magical Training since they'll usually lurk in the back line.

The challenge I have with this is; six points is a big ask for a model with no abilities of note beyond a heal 3 per turn (consuming burning to do it).  I'd be more enthusiastic if any of it's interactive stats were higher than five.

If we need healing;  Silent One's are as good at it and bring more utility (better range, slow, movement blocking, corpse removal).

The six stone slot in Kaeris is already cramped right now; Iggy, and Soulstone Miners are amazing choices which bring a breadth of options and abilities to proceedings.  If we just need a survivable body an 'on fire' Fire Gamin is probably tough enough at 4ss to get the job done.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, mythicFOX said:

The challenge I have with this is; six points is a big ask for a model with no abilities of note beyond a heal 3 per turn (consuming burning to do it).  I'd be more enthusiastic if any of it's interactive stats were higher than five.

If we need healing;  Silent One's are as good at it and bring more utility (better range, slow, movement blocking, corpse removal).

The six stone slot in Kaeris is already cramped right now; Iggy, and Soulstone Miners are amazing choices which bring a breadth of options and abilities to proceedings.  If we just need a survivable body an 'on fire' Fire Gamin is probably tough enough at 4ss to get the job done.

Silent Ones have the problem of their heal competing for Actions, their range is only better because they use actions to put down a pillar which then makes you discard to use their baked in trigger, they have a weaker damage track, and their heal relies on a 1/2/3 flip as opposed to a flat 3. All for costing an extra SS, and lacking Promised to the Flame and Blaze of Glory to engage with the crew's core mechanics.

They have their place when you need a healer who is just going to sit waaaaaay in the back, or you're optioning into a less burning focussed build, but in general utility I think your estimations are way off.

I am also severely underwhelmed by the Firebranded. For key models in the keyword the Burning condition is already a resource, adding a 6 SS model whose main utility is based on spending that resource and has attacks that are mediocre at the very best, will not help you much. I'd get a medical automaton or Oxfordian mage OOK before looking at these guys tbh.

• Agree 1

I ran Kaeris in a tournament over the weekend, and I definitely noticed a lack of healing available. I don't have firebranded (waiting to get them without the golem). I brought the medical automaton, but unfortunately only two models in my list were living, one of which was firestarter (who was never anywhere near the thing). The little guy did come in clutch against assassinate healing Kaeris for 8 wounds to deny a point. But, I really want something that can heal the fire golem, who generally gets focused down hard. From what I can see, the only options to do that are Firebranded and Silent Ones, since the golem is neither Living nor Construct, cutting out most of our healing options. Technically you could bring the Duet, but that doesn't seem terribly efficient. Am I missing a model that could do it?

You're right, if you want to heal a Golem those are the only two real choices.  Silent One is the best universal healing option we have.   Note that healing a Fire Golem with a Firebranded means trading the Golem's damage reduction capability for healing, which while not technically pointless is fairly close IMO.   

@Barmution hit the nail on the head with his assessment of the healing from the Firebranded. The resource (burning) you spend is used more efficiently on other things.

I have to say as well I don't find I need a lot of healing in a Kaeris crew.  If you're looking to tank indefinitely we have two better masters for that.  Kaeris (IMHO) is looking to burn bright and burn quick, skirmish around the enemy and use it's speed and pyres to control the flow of the action, not get bogged down in one place and fight toe to toe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1