Viks got stomped by Nekima - any thoughts?

CapnBloodbeard

I had a hard time dealing with Nekima in M2E, and just got wallopped in M3E

I was running

-Viks

-Schill

-Vanessa

- Taelor

-Ronin

-Ronin

Opponent took 

Nekima (inhuman reflexes)

Mature nephilim (inhuman reflexes)

Lilitu (Ancient Pact)

Blackblood Shaman

Blackblood Shaman

Strat: Cursed Idols

Scheme pool: Assassinate, outflank, Power ritual, take Prisoner, Hold up their Forces

Flank Deployment

I took Assassinate and Outflank, opponent took Outflank and Power Ritual

I lost 6-1, only had 2 models on the table after Turn 3, got tabled Turn 5 - making it impossible to score any further on these strats and schemes.  

I was attacker, had Viks, Vanessa and a Ronin left of centre, Schill, Ronin and Taelor right of middle.  First turn I did a fair bit of Concentrate, Schill put 2 equipment upgrades on the Ronin 

Idea was for the 2 Ronin to head for the corners and the rest of the models to take on the scrum.  In hindsight, I probably should have kept both Ronin near Schill to make more use of the equipment.

Viks moved up a bit and hid behind a building, Taelor moved up and across, Ronin did the same.  

My Viks went after Nekima, but due to some poor flipping/poor hands and a bit of bad luck in initiative, They both got torn apart pretty quickly - even after burning 5SS trying to keep them alive.  that left Taelor and Vanessa in the middle, with a Ronin running up to the corner where 2 Idols were, and the other running down to the other corner taking on the Terror Tot then getting into position for Power Ritual

Taelor took on Mature Nephilim, did some damage but couldn't kill it, and died pretty quickly.  

Schill was still in the backfield, trying to shoot Nekima but just not getting much damage at all - I never got more than 3 wounds on her, and with her regen....

2 more Idols dropped in the middle, but only Schill was there.  Nekima moved over to one of my Ronin who kicked an Idol with her dying breath, and at this point there was buggar all Schill and my Ronin could do.  

So.....any thoughts on how I could have played it better?  

I'm thinking...

- Perhaps I needed to keep my models away from my opponent and make his crew come to me.  Put my Viks and Vanessa up to the corner with the Idols, and let Schill and 2 x Ronin go down the other corner for Power Ritual - with Schill and another Ronin to head back if nothing was coming.  Taelor probably to stick with the Viks knowing they'd be the target.  Perhaps I shouldn't have gone after Nekima?  However. it just felt like - if I did that, I couldn't stay away from Nekima and her flight, so if I did that, she'd get in the first charge, thus deciding to attack first

- My plan with Schill was to have him throw models back at the Viks for them to hit.  Clearly, this plan doesn't work if I'm splitting my forces up (I took Schill for fun...really, a midnight stalker and Hans probably would have done better....even Hans, a Ronin and a few more SS).  That plan with Schill wasn't really compatible with my scheme pool, I think....

- Schill may have gotten caught too far back.  1st turn activation was concentrate + 2 x equipment...then by the time everybody was engaged he was still 2 moves + charge away, so couldn't hurl enemy models away

- Movement tricks of being able to pull models out of combat....they didn't seem to achieve anything; after all, the other model can just charge back at them

- black blood was hard to deal with

Once I lost too many models, I didn't stand a change in this strat/scheme pool

Cursed Idols is bad for the Mercenary crew.  Everyone is fragile and every health point matters, while you're typical healing within Keyword by killing things is made harder as killing things with Black Blood hurt you more.  This was a bad match up on all fronts.  if it was Nephilim OR Cursed Idols I can see you pulling it off, but both  puts you squarely behind the 8 ball.  I'm surprised your opponent didn't take Assassinate, honestly.

Von Schill is too expensive for this build, you only have 2 models he can give stuff to (3 counting himself), but he's not the killing machine he used to be, so you're losing a lot of his synergy. 

For the 16 points you could have gotten Big Jake & The Midnight Stalker, who both could die and come back after moving Idol Markers, or even the 3rd Ronin and two sacrificial Desperate Mercenary to move Idol Markers. 

Nephilim keyword is very expensive so typically will have very few models, so outmanuvering with overwhelming targets is the key.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Assasinating a butterfly jumping black blooded model with regenerate when you are largely using melee models is a bad idea. I don't know how much the bad luck you had when  the two Viks attacked her hindered you as well, but you were facing an uphill battle in the first place I think.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Adran said:

Assasinating a butterfly jumping black blooded model with regenerate when you are largely using melee models is a bad idea. I don't know how much the bad luck you had when  the two Viks attacked her hindered you as well, but you were facing an uphill battle in the first place I think.

The butterfly jump upgrade for Neverborn is just broken. It should never have survived neither closed nor open beta, but here it is...

• Respectfully Disagree 3

1 hour ago, NamelessOne said:

The butterfly jump upgrade for Neverborn is just broken. It should never have survived neither closed nor open beta, but here it is...

that's one of the most powerful upgrades in the game undoubtedly, but it only encourages you to do what you're going to do anyway - use mainly focused attacks.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:06 AM, NamelessOne said:

I was hoping for it to key off of Mv so it could be countered with Staggered and therefore feel less oppressive, but /shrug...

In similar situations my meta’s Viks actually pull out their guns and let the fight come to them, dealing moderate damage all the while and softening the enemy for the kill-and-heal. This is viable now (to my utter shock the first time they tried it). It’s even more viable if you hit the triggers to keep trading off for more attacks, similar to the bandits.

8 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Yeah, I was thinking a gun line probably would have worked better.  Or run my Viks around in the corners and do scheming and let my opponent figure out how to split his forces.  One of my weaknesses is that I always go to my opponent :)

Recognizing it is the first step. :D  Nekima's crew is about getting in the face and if you do that for them, its only helping.  I'd suggest since you have more models to use them to slip by and make her crew waste actions getting over to your models.  It's all pretty much been said, but I'd add to just remind yourself what helps get the objectives.  Cursed idol is advantageous with more models or healing.  Ask if assasinate is worth investing in.  Sure if you kill Nekima its a win, but is the attempt easier than points elsewhere? If you kill her anyways, you'll probably win on schemes/objective so how secure do you feel about putting all the eggs in one basket?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve only played them once but I don’t think gun lines would be particularly effective. They are very fast and heal back chip damage. 

Some kind of control elements seem like they’d be strong.

In this specific matchup, eating his alpha on some minions and counter-punching might work. Or set up an alpha on the model that is going for the Cursed Idol since you know there will be a model there?