Contrast paints to get M3E ready

Bad Jim

I've been experimenting a bit also lately, with TOS models.  If anyone eslse decided to go this route i'd highly suggest looking at youtube videos to get an idea on how the colors look on a model.  The pots themselves are very dark and i've been surprised with a few colors.  Additionally, they don't need to go on contact primer. However, the primer does need to be light and the color will distort  based on the below primer.  I will try to get a good picture of my gibbering hordes striped skulkers. They were primed yellow (army painter) and hit with a coat of contact turquoise, which became a mottled green that I really enjoy with the yellow undertone picking though slightly where its thin.

I do like that they give a quick look at what i might be wanting.  Usually I paint a lot before any wash, but these combine the basecoat and wash steps in a nice way.  Best to go back and detail after and then a final wash or drybrush but I'm enjoying them.  Just carefully choose your colors. I only got a few pots, but am not very happy with my "firestarter flesh? (close enough).  Too dark and brown for what i was expecting. But again, maybe its the primer and basecolor i put under it changing it more. I don't have GW contrast primer.

• Like 1

Vince Venturella did a very good review of the paints and all the stuff you can do with them. According to him some colors are very transparent and others cover well. And sometimes the names of the colors could be much more matching.

So it will will maybe take some time until you find the best colors for your army.

• Like 2

Very nice work dude really love how Carver turned out in particular.

I'mCertainly not advice on how to paint but here's a couple of things I've noticed with contrast: zeninth undercoating still works you just have to go heavier on the grey and white sprays than normal leaving the black only in the deepest recesses. Also I found that a 50/50 mix of contrast paint to contrast medium really got rid of any pooling for me.

Enjoy getting M3E compatible.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Is contrast medium something special, or does a laminar medium or retarding medium work just as well?

It is different as the type of medium the pigment is suspended in in the contrast paints is apparently different. Now i can't comment if glaze medium by Vallejo works as well or if GWs Lahmian medium is also compatible but given that we're dealing with waterbased mediums and paints I can't imagine that substituting one for the other would be a complete disaster 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Is contrast medium something special, or does a laminar medium or retarding medium work just as well?

Constrast colours basically are washes with more pigments. That's why they have similar benefits and downsides, e.g. the "pooling" mentioned before.

I achieved similar for years with mixing normal colours + wash medium + airbrush thinner. More flexible this way, because you can use any colour, and muuuch cheaper.

• Agree 1