Transmortis Students

Trample

The new Resser cards include B&C models for each of the students in addition to the A models included in the University of Transmortis box. It's a bit odd since they haven't released new cards for models that aren't out yet. They may be just doing it because the models are rare (3) now, but the art is different. I've done a bit of searching but can't find anything out there that tells me if this is just alternative art, if these represent old metal models I haven't seen, or are an indication of new students. Does anyone know?

I don't really know anything, but here are my thoughts.

As far as I'm aware there were only 1 model per student released so far, I don't think there were older metals models or something (but I may be wrong).

The artwork on the B & C models seems more recent to me, I'm not sure what exactly gives me this impression though (I'm sure people who followed Malifaux for more than the 1year 1/2 I've played the game might have better thoughts on this that I do).

I think they may have put the cards with new art (hopefully meaning new models too), since the students were already released in M2E (so they need to have the cards available in M3E), and since they are now minion (2) or (3) , and in order to be in line with the other minions they needed to have several cards with different artwork to differentiate them.

In short, I think they may made an exception and have shown new art in this case because students are a special case of models who went from "unique" (at least only 1 model existed for them) to minion 2/3.

• Like 2

There weren't Metal Transmortis models, so its not art for that. I can't remember any alternative models for them ever being made, so my guess is it is either alternative art or art for the new students.

I don't recognise the art work, but I don't follow that too much (plus I haven't bought much TTB which has a lot of art)

Assuming this is artwork for new models, I'm wondering if the students "A" will use the same models as the transmortis box, or if they will have new models as well, and the artwork was just not updated in the card yet (like Anna Lovelace's card is still showing the artwork of her previous model, not the new one from Von Schtook's core box)

Also, I don't want to hijack the thread, but which sculpt do you prefer for each student?
I would say sinew C (though B is not far behind), steel B, viscera B

It seems logical, as they have upped the allowed model count for these models, that the new artwork are representative of the new sculpts we should be seeing. I expect we'll see a box for each of the student types - Sinew, Steel, Viscera - with the old sculpt from the Transmortis box previously sold and new sculpts to get up to the allowed number for each. 

I am curious why my Faction Deck has new artwork for one of the necropunks. it replaced the artwork for the tall skinny one with the staff. I think the download files still has that artwork on one of the cards, but the deck I received does not. 

13 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I am curious why my Faction Deck has new artwork for one of the necropunks. it replaced the artwork for the tall skinny one with the staff. I think the download files still has that artwork on one of the cards, but the deck I received does not. 

Maybe because they thought the tall one wasn't really compatible with necropunks being size 1?
But I would be surprised if they did a new sculpt just for this.

1 hour ago, MajorUndead said:

Maybe because they thought the tall one wasn't really compatible with necropunks being size 1?
But I would be surprised if they did a new sculpt just for this.

That was my thought too, but no way are they resculpting just one. And it's hardly the first model that wasn't to proper scale for model size (looking at you Flesh Constructs....). 

There's a bunch of necropunk art out there now.  From memory and/or googling stuff...

1) Original "filler" necropunk art from 2E launch.   I'll call him Necro-baby.  He's still on the 2e box cover art, tucked into the side.  He and his model are a throwback to 1e with it's "pudgy baby necropunk" look.  He's relatively unchanged through various editions.

2) Spider punk.  This is the guy with the goggles. and all the fiddly mechanical arms sticking up over his crouching form.

3) "Legs".  The tall one with the staff and the hood.

4) "Mohawk".  This was the odd one.  His art showed up on the 2E cards, but I don't remember him having a corresponding model.  His best analogue was the necro-baby model, but only really because the other two were spot on matches.

Edit: 5) Fat guy?  He's *new* art, which I guess links the necropunks thematically around "short body with two big weird crab legs"

So 2e box had models 1,2,3 but cards 2,3,4 (1 only if you could chase down the arsenal deck).  Now we seem to have moved on to cards 1,4,5 which is still not great.  Maybe when we get new models around 4 and 5 it won't seem so bad.

And all the while, the necrobaby is easily my least favorite model of the 3 in either edition (1e or 2e)

Edited by Clement
Didn't have my cards in front of me.
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

My cards are the same way. I haven't really used the necropunks much so I hadn't noticed. Odd.