Mikes

Molly - share your lists

I have hired Sloth several times in Jack Daw's and Molly's crews because he looked good on paper and I didn't like him at all. He's slow and his actions turned out to be less relevant than I anticipated. Probably Ride with me is the way to fix his mobility, but then Molly stays where I deployed her. I don't say he's bad, but definitely not my style.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

I agree, Molly doesn't need many soulstones. I usually take about 3 on her unless I'm worried about an assassinate. I go up to 5 on occasion.

I double down on this - 1, 2 or 3 Soulstones are plenty in most pools for Molly, but sometimes reaching for more can make sense. I've been taking 5-6 in pools with Assassinate or Detonate The Charges or Harness The Leyline - and sometimes even more in pools with multiple of these. With a few Soulstones at hand for the :tome trigger on her One Last Question, she's extremely consistent at securing Detonate and Harness as she can pop a couple Scheme Markers down near the end of turn 2 without much prior 'set up' at all, for an easy VP. As long as Molly survives, it's also fairly easy to force the 2nd VP  on turn 5 too. Another quick note: if you're taking Harness The Leyline, Archie's a great target if he's on the centreline as he'll ignore the Slow that Molly hands out as part of One Last Question

Now that I've had a few dozen more games under my belt, I figured I'd voice some more of my thoughts. Generally my core remains: Necrotic Machine, Archie, Dead Rider, and at least one Crooligan (often two, and sometimes three). 

Here's my thoughts on some of our available choices we have with Molly:

Minions:

Crooligans will always show up. Triple Crooligans are completely viable (and a complete nightmare to face) in Scheme Marker heavy pools. They're just brutal for destroying Scheme Markers and the hopes and dreams of your opponent. 

Night Terrors can be superb in some pools. I think that they have a higher skill ceiling than Crooligans; they are harder to use, they are less forgiving if you make a mistake, and they are obviously 1ss costlier, but they have huge potential when you play them well. Abusing their free pushes is the key to making their 5ss cost worthwhile. They're good enough to summon when I bring the Marshal along. They remain prime candidates for Molly's Constructive Criticism.

Punk Zombies are summons only in my books. They just don't do enough to justify 6ss.

Outside of Forgotten keyword, the only other minion I typically bother with is a single Rotten Belle, which I feel is a great inclusion in Reckoning. Yes, Lure is nowhere near as good as it was in 2nd, and 6ss feels bad for just one Action... But Lure is still an incredible tool to have available in Reckoning. Molly's not normally the first master you'd think of for Reckoning, but I've found Lethe's Caress has the potential to be brutal enough in Reckoning that she's sometimes the right pick - and when I do pick her for Reckoning, a Rotten Belle is starting to become a staple. 

Enforcers:

Archie may as well be Molly's second totem for how much of an auto-include he is. Always hire him. Always.

The Forgotten Marshall remains a high priority pick for me. He always brings The Whisper upgrade; not only does it increase the chances of finding a :crowto summon with, but it also helps enable his attack triggers. As an added bonus, the card draw reward for killing models synergises with his self-heal reward for killing models, which itself synergises with his Hard To Kill - in my mind all of this further streamlines his role as a damage dealer. If he's a couple inches shy of shooting the right target, or if he gets stuck in combat, I won't hesitate to use Molly's Free Action to give him that a 2" push and Focus. 

Rogue Necromancy is a sometimes bring. He's good enough to bring frequently, but has some big weaknesses and shouldn't be the first go-to. If I do take him and the opponent clumps up, I like to reach out with Projective Vomit rather than commit him early; because once he's committed, he dies fast!

Dead Rider, I hire as often as I can, and when I hire The Forgotten Marshal, I always bring Dead Rider. He offers much needed mobility through Ride With Me, which is especially important if the Marshall becomes locked in combat; he can try to use Pine Box as a last resort, but I'd much prefer him to reach out with his Peacebringer. I try save my Fate Tokens for a big ol' whack with Revel In Death, looking to trigger Spinning Scythe, or occasionally Soulfire.

Henchmen: 

Phillip and the Nanny is a sometimes bring. They're very painful for your opponent if they declare a master that hands the Focus condition around, like Shenlong with their He's Starting To Make Sense aura. If they also had the same trigger as Molly has on One Last Question to place a free Scheme Marker they'd be terrific, though admittedly they'd probably be too good. With Chatty and the anti-Scheme Marker trigger on One Last Question, they're pretty good in denying options for your opponent in a Scheme Marker heavy pool, but are they worth as much as two Crooligans, who already do an amazing job? Maybe. Phillip and the Nanny has a lot of moving parts and a lot of layered rules, and you need to remember each and every one to get the most out of them and ensure they were worth hiring.  

Vincent St Clair is another sometimes bring, for one reason: he's terrific against summoners. Abuse Rapid Fire with his Sanctified Crossbow, which features two fantastic triggers (including one that auto-kills a Summoned models), coupled with the ability to ignore Friendly Fire, Incorporeal, and Hard To Wound, and he becomes an absolute machine gun against summons. He's very hard to shut down with Agile, and a trigger on his melee attack to shoot with his Sanctified Crossbow even if engaged. He can blow up Corpse Markers at range, which can be situationally great against summoners like Asami or Nicodem. Rapid Fire also slightly synergises with Molly's The Gorgon's Influence redraw mechanic. Being card hungry, suit reliant and very killy, he would definitely benefit from The Whisper.

Mortimer is yet another sometimes bring. Specifically, you would pick him to abuse Fresh Meat and promote the movement of your crew, especially in the early game; pop a Crooligan into play half way up the broad with From The Shadow, and Fresh Meat it. If you do this, make sure you're exclusively hiring Undead to get maximum value. Mortimer's Grave Robber can be used to provide Corpse Marker ammunition for Archie to throw. Bonus points if you get a free Mindless Zombie, and use it as ammunition for Archie to throw instead. Everyone appreciates a Zombie being flung in their face. 

Anna Lovelace, who is admittedly a pretty rare pick for Molly, does shows up occasionally. Basically she's just taken as anti placement trick tech. In particular she's nice against Asami. One of Asami's key attributes is that she lets Oni place themselves whenever they charge, and much of her crew hand out healing and Focus to one another (or at least, the Asami players I play against do). She also uses Scrap and Corpse Markers to fuel her summons. Anna can shut down all of this very efficiently in a bubble around through her auras and Grade Assignment

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@hydranixx great points! The Archie/leyline trick is neat (although seems excessive). The detonate charges one is key as well.

My most common stone use is for the crows to remove enemy scheme markers. It is super handy for when I don't want to go to a certain part of the board just to eat a scheme (such as power ritual in their own deployment zone). But I can see the usefulness of tomes, especially with dig their graves (though doesn't work if One More Question does lethal).

I've gone off rabble risers a bit. In competitive play I think I want to try the elite build next (dead rider, Archie, Manos).

Forgotten Marshal I still am dubious of (though need to try). Toshiro seems like a far better summoner. And of course, any summoner you take needs to at least be compared to Kirai if double masters are allowed.

Some games I do like a rabble riser hired to stick with Molly all game. If denying plant explosives with Molly, a rabble riser makes her a potent threat (and having an engagement range means it can prevent bomb drops).

I'd love to try Mortimer, but don't think I'll ever buy him unless he is breaking the meta. I have a single gravedigger, so he just feels a bit redundant (even though his move ability seems super sweet).

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Forgotten Marshal I still am dubious of (though need to try). Toshiro seems like a far better summoner. And of course, any summoner you take needs to at least be compared to Kirai if double masters are allowed.

I'd love to try Mortimer, but don't think I'll ever buy him unless he is breaking the meta. I have a single gravedigger, so he just feels a bit redundant (even though his move ability seems super sweet).

If you're looking for a summoner specifically, sure, I would suggest Toshiro or Kirai too. I don't consider The Forgotten Marshal as a dedicated summoner, so I don't purposefully hire him to summon.

I hire him for his solid ranged attack where I can sink any surplus :ram into, his situationally useful melee attack (last game I Boxed a Dead Rider for two turns lol) - and to occasionally summon. At 9ss with The Whisper, he doesn't break the budget. He's been my MVP for enough games that he's always considered. Definitely suggest that you give him a spin before you dismiss him :) 

I wouldn't get Mortimer just for Molly either; I converted a Mortimer out of the fat Guild Autopsy model and Kang's shovel.

• Agree 1

@hydranixx that makes sense! I have thought before you have to want his ranged attack for him to be worth taking. Good to hear about the pine box too!

Of course, I don't own night terrors/probably won't for a while, so he may end up a bit limited for me. But will give him a go!

• Like 1

Ran Molly solo at UK nationals and she didn't disappoint. 

Wins versus Zipp, McMourning and Ironsides(twice), draws against Molly and Dreamer and a loss against Sandeep. 

Ended up using a pretty small pool, the only non keyword models being the rider who was probably in 5 of my 7 lists and bonepiles who were probably in all 7(reducing the effigy to watching from the sidelines). 

The Marshall was in almost every list, decent secondary damage dealer in a pinch, summoned when needed(replacing dead crooligans) and generally helping Molly control my half of the board. 

I found I ended up taking 8/9 model lists over elite lists every game, and the activation control and speed of the crew seemed to overcome the lack of hitting outside of Archie and the rider. 

I found opponents respect Archie so much they give him too much room due to his threat range, and as soon as he switches into scheme runner/crooligan delivery system its usually too late to catch up. 

Molly herself played a reactive role, and her toolbox allowed a lot of flexibility. It took until game 7 for someone to actually try killing her, and my opponent comfortably removed her with stitched and chompy. 

There was a high TT presence, but luckily I managed to avoid Shenlong all weekend. 

All in all an enjoyable 7 games. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hydranixx said:

I double down on this - 1, 2 or 3 Soulstones are plenty in most pools for Molly, but sometimes reaching for more can make sense. I've been taking 5-6 in pools with Assassinate or Detonate The Charges or Harness The Leyline - and sometimes even more in pools with multiple of these. With a few Soulstones at hand for the :tome trigger on her One Last Question, she's extremely consistent at securing Detonate and Harness as she can pop a couple Scheme Markers down near the end of turn 2 without much prior 'set up' at all, for an easy VP. As long as Molly survives, it's also fairly easy to force the 2nd VP  on turn 5 too. Another quick note: if you're taking Harness The Leyline, Archie's a great target if he's on the centreline as he'll ignore the Slow that Molly hands out as part of One Last Question

Now that I've had a few dozen more games under my belt, I figured I'd voice some more of my thoughts. Generally my core remains: Necrotic Machine, Archie, Dead Rider, and at least one Crooligan (often two, and sometimes three). 

Here's my thoughts on some of our available choices we have with Molly:

Minions:

Crooligans will always show up. Triple Crooligans are completely viable (and a complete nightmare to face) in Scheme Marker heavy pools. They're just brutal for destroying Scheme Markers and the hopes and dreams of your opponent. 

Night Terrors can be superb in some pools. I think that they have a higher skill ceiling than Crooligans; they are harder to use, they are less forgiving if you make a mistake, and they are obviously 1ss costlier, but they have huge potential when you play them well. Abusing their free pushes is the key to making their 5ss cost worthwhile. They're good enough to summon when I bring the Marshal along. They remain prime candidates for Molly's Constructive Criticism.

Punk Zombies are summons only in my books. They just don't do enough to justify 6ss.

Outside of Forgotten keyword, the only other minion I typically bother with is a single Rotten Belle, which I feel is a great inclusion in Reckoning. Yes, Lure is nowhere near as good as it was in 2nd, and 6ss feels bad for just one Action... But Lure is still an incredible tool to have available in Reckoning. Molly's not normally the first master you'd think of for Reckoning, but I've found Lethe's Caress has the potential to be brutal enough in Reckoning that she's sometimes the right pick - and when I do pick her for Reckoning, a Rotten Belle is starting to become a staple. 

Enforcers:

Archie may as well be Molly's second totem for how much of an auto-include he is. Always hire him. Always.

The Forgotten Marshall remains a high priority pick for me. He always brings The Whisper upgrade; not only does it increase the chances of finding a :crowto summon with, but it also helps enable his attack triggers. As an added bonus, the card draw reward for killing models synergises with his self-heal reward for killing models, which itself synergises with his Hard To Kill - in my mind all of this further streamlines his role as a damage dealer. If he's a couple inches shy of shooting the right target, or if he gets stuck in combat, I won't hesitate to use Molly's Free Action to give him that a 2" push and Focus. 

Rogue Necromancy is a sometimes bring. He's good enough to bring frequently, but has some big weaknesses and shouldn't be the first go-to. If I do take him and the opponent clumps up, I like to reach out with Projective Vomit rather than commit him early; because once he's committed, he dies fast!

Dead Rider, I hire as often as I can, and when I hire The Forgotten Marshal, I always bring Dead Rider. He offers much needed mobility through Ride With Me, which is especially important if the Marshall becomes locked in combat; he can try to use Pine Box as a last resort, but I'd much prefer him to reach out with his Peacebringer. I try save my Fate Tokens for a big ol' whack with Revel In Death, looking to trigger Spinning Scythe, or occasionally Soulfire.

Henchmen: 

Phillip and the Nanny is a sometimes bring. They're very painful for your opponent if they declare a master that hands the Focus condition around, like Shenlong with their He's Starting To Make Sense aura. If they also had the same trigger as Molly has on One Last Question to place a free Scheme Marker they'd be terrific, though admittedly they'd probably be too good. With Chatty and the anti-Scheme Marker trigger on One Last Question, they're pretty good in denying options for your opponent in a Scheme Marker heavy pool, but are they worth as much as two Crooligans, who already do an amazing job? Maybe. Phillip and the Nanny has a lot of moving parts and a lot of layered rules, and you need to remember each and every one to get the most out of them and ensure they were worth hiring.  

Vincent St Clair is another sometimes bring, for one reason: he's terrific against summoners. Abuse Rapid Fire with his Sanctified Crossbow, which features two fantastic triggers (including one that auto-kills a Summoned models), coupled with the ability to ignore Friendly Fire, Incorporeal, and Hard To Wound, and he becomes an absolute machine gun against summons. He's very hard to shut down with Agile, and a trigger on his melee attack to shoot with his Sanctified Crossbow even if engaged. He can blow up Corpse Markers at range, which can be situationally great against summoners like Asami or Nicodem. Rapid Fire also slightly synergises with Molly's The Gorgon's Influence redraw mechanic. Being card hungry, suit reliant and very killy, he would definitely benefit from The Whisper.

Mortimer is yet another sometimes bring. Specifically, you would pick him to abuse Fresh Meat and promote the movement of your crew, especially in the early game; pop a Crooligan into play half way up the broad with From The Shadow, and Fresh Meat it. If you do this, make sure you're exclusively hiring Undead to get maximum value. Mortimer's Grave Robber can be used to provide Corpse Marker ammunition for Archie to throw. Bonus points if you get a free Mindless Zombie, and use it as ammunition for Archie to throw instead. Everyone appreciates a Zombie being flung in their face. 

Anna Lovelace, who is admittedly a pretty rare pick for Molly, does shows up occasionally. Basically she's just taken as anti placement trick tech. In particular she's nice against Asami. One of Asami's key attributes is that she lets Oni place themselves whenever they charge, and much of her crew hand out healing and Focus to one another (or at least, the Asami players I play against do). She also uses Scrap and Corpse Markers to fuel her summons. Anna can shut down all of this very efficiently in a bubble around through her auras and Grade Assignment

Where is Manos?

8 hours ago, hydranixx said:

I can't rate a model I don't own. On the to-buy list.

Will consider him as he's very strong consideration in many lists. Like Archie he can operate fairly independently.

• Agree 1