Molly - share your lists

Mikes

24 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

I had my first two games with Molly on Tuesday, and I have to admit I found it difficult to use Nani and the Voice properly.  I probably need to take more advantage of her ability to copy Fading.  Anyone have any tips on how they use her?

I'll be honest, there's a reason the model gets so much hate. In a lot of ways, it is underpowered. Still, I played with it tons when I first started and didn't have many other models, and feel like I actually had to give P&N a proper chance. As a result, I find that the model is actually really relevant for some situations, which I'll attempt to list here:

• Claim jump. Between general tankiness, being a tar-pit model, GST, and most importantly, deadly pursuit, this model is insanely good at claim jump. It also takes tons of work to deny the second claim jump point. I don't think my tag team of grave golem + P&N has ever failed to score the double claim jump points (although to be fair, I only take that combination when I'm certain I can get the points).
  • Speaking of deadly pursuit,  it is fantastic for Hold up their Forces and Outflank. It is okay for Take Prisoner. It also makes the model REALLY good at delivering crooligans, and is a massive factor in plant explosives.
  • Plant explosives + claim jump is basically an auto-take of Philip and the Nanny for me. They just bring so much power to both of those objectives. (The ability to move 9" and interact in a turn is pretty good, but then throw in...)
  • Chatty and He's Starting To Make Sense... I almost never use these, but they act as a solid deterrent. So many times my opponent goes to interact, and I point out they'll need to discard a card, and they decide to spend their turn doing something else. I count these abilities as a minor upside.
  • One more question: the ability to spend one action to deny an enemy model an action is pretty solid.
  • Debt of gratitude: this ability is GOOD. The ability to remove scheme markers anywhere on the board with both Molly and P&N means that most people don't bother dropping scheme markers. As a result, your crows triggers make the ability a 3/5/6 damage track. That's pretty crazy for an 8" range, stat 6wp ability with the primary function of slowing!
  • Boring conversation... Is okay. This crew really taxes enemy card use, so if they have to cheat to pass, it can be useful. You definitely use it every turn that you're not using her other bonus actions (from upgrades), but it isn't stellar. Don't rely on it, but it is a useful tax effect.

Typically turn one, I pop P&N next to two rabble risers and make each of them discard twice (molly's bonus action + constructive criticism), giving Philip 4 focus to get through the game. That makes One More Question extremely potent. After that, P&N is basically going out and scheming or messing stuff up with One More Question. Careful of things without engagement ranges, as you can't damage them with the slow!

Note of course that the 'best' Molly crews probably don't have two rabble risers, but that's how I've played her. You could easily get by with 1 rabble riser and only give P&N three focus on turn 1 (or 4 if using blasphemous ritual).

• Like 2

Here's a sample list of something new I'd like to try on certain Claim Jump pools (especially Reckoning or Plant Explosives) that would include Philip and the Nanny.

• Molly + Machine
  • Dead Rider
  • Grave Golem
  • Archie
  • Philip and the Nanny
  • Crooligan
  • Crooligan or 2 upgrades.
  • 4 Stones

In this crew, there is an enormous amount of scheming power (every model but the grave golem is offering scheme potential and/or denial potential). Molly and Philip bring a control element so I can bog down my opponent, control what they're doing, and still score points. The crooligan(s) have 4 relevant teleport targets (honestly I struggle a bit with just Archie). Yet it has fantastic beatstick potential as well (if the enemy decides to slog it out, grave golem + archie + dead rider + one more questions with 3/5/6 damage tracks on crows + disturbing story for 3 irreducible...)

Most games I lose, it is because my crooligans cannot get to where the need to be. By including P&N, I find that my opponent cannot stop all my teleport targets, and I can pop crooligans somewhere safe. And with that many teleport targets, one crooligan is probably enough, so I'm pretty sure I'd take a Whisper and a GST.

14 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Forgotten Marshal is a fun but extremely high variance model. Competitive models have as little amount of variance as possible.

That makes sense.  I guess I just like those enforcers that summon in the minions.  I'm a fan of Death Marshal Recruiters too, at least from a "seems cool" point of view.

2 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Here's a sample list of something new I'd like to try on certain Claim Jump pools (especially Reckoning or Plant Explosives) that would include Philip and the Nanny.

What about the Rogue Necro?  Do you not find it worth taking in killey strats/schemes?

My justification for not taking Rogue Necro/Forgotten Marshal is...

They don't interest me enough to buy the models xD If P&N wasn't in the core box, I'd have skipped it probably.

I also have not bought Night Terrors for the same reason. I'm not sure they add enough to my overall gameplay compared to what I can already field (at least, given the cost of the models).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

Because I'm sort of a sloppy player, a model's defenses/heals loom larger in my assessment of their value.  Of course, I could always just get better...

Yeah, I fall into this trap at times!

I just try to remember that if I spend my resources healing, and my opponent spends his resources attacking, my models will eventually die. The game is balanced towards killing (perhaps overly so), and as a result, models will die if your opponent wants them to.

Far better to spend your resources killing one of their models for every one of your models that they kill!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeperColony said:

What about upgrades?  In my two games, all I did was put GST on Arrrrchie once.  Usually when I run Ressers, I take at least one, sometimes two Whispers.  But I didn't feel they were as useful for Molly.

Honestly, I rely on GST way too much 😂 But I find that Archie is way less likely to die if he has the upgrade.

The Whisper is reasonably potent on Molly. The reason being both constructive criticism and lost knowledge feel soooooo much better to use if you flip the card off the top of the deck rather than having to cheat it. Any game where I have the spare stones, I take it on her (especially since you really only need 2-3 stones for Forgotten. They're just so efficient at... everything). But that's still only about 30% of games where I feel like I can fit it in.

It is different with like Seamus for example where you're making extensive use of intuition AND the draw a card off killing. So I would say the Whisper is not at all mandatory compared to some crews, but sometimes useful as it can smooth out your plays on Molly. I've seen people take it on Archie, but feel like the card draw really isn't that necessary (and the intuition even less relevant on him).

Overall, I'd say my priority for upgrades is:

• Make sure to have 2-4 stones for the pool.
  • Grave spirit's touch on archie
  • 2nd Grave spirit's touch if necessary (for instance, if I need blasphemous ritual or am playing corrupted idols)
  • The Whisper on Molly

But it is pretty low priority. And I know we have a third upgrade, but honestly I can't even remember it atm...

Had to look it up in the app xD Killer Instinct - ruthless is seriously good and I could see grabbing it if we needed a third ruthless model after Archie and Dead Rider. Deadly pursuit on a minion could potentially do some crazy shenanigans, but I think we're mobile enough for our minions. Loot their corpse feels pretty pointless in most crews, but especially for Forgotten.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list I brought today:

• Molly
  • Necrotic Machine
  • Dead Rider
  • Grave Golem
  • Archie
  • Philip and the Nanny w/ GST
  • Rabble Riser
  • 4 stones

Into a pool of

• Reckoning
  • Wedge
  • Detonate Charges
  • Take Prisoner
  • Power Ritual
  • Outflank
  • Claim jump

The list felt very solid for denying reckoning points. The grave golem tied stuff up and Philip and the Nanny was a great claim jumper (though I foolishly just let her die by repeatedly putting manipulative down).

Definitely a list I'll try again (although maybe ditch the rabble riser). Could use some focus pulses for the grave golem.

• Like 2