Trying to choose between Ressers and Neverborn.

I'm trying to decide between Ressers and Neverborn as my faction, and would appreciate some input! I'm hoping insights from these lovely forums will help me settle on a decision.

I'd like to focus on one faction if possible to get maximum use of cool models (for instance, if I get a grave golem, I want to be sure I can field it in any of my crews). I currently have purchased Molly's crew box, some rabble risers, and Archie. So have started investing into Ressers, but not so much that it's too late to swap.

So to narrow it down to one faction, here's some of the advantages of each:

Ressers

• I absolutely adore Molly/the Forgotten keyword. 'By your side' is likely my favourite ability in the game, and the crew excels at scheme denial and has neat synergies. Her ability to interact with control hands in an unusual way is also great. She just feels like such an unconventional playstyle (compared to say Dr McMourning and many other crews that seem to primarily just do stuff to the board/combat).
  • The rest of the masters/keywords in Ressers are a bit meh to me. I quite like Jack Daw, but that's about it. If I did pick up Jack Daw and his crew, I'd be pretty much set for any strategy, I think.
  • I like a lot of sporadic models in the faction (a lot of Reva's stuff and Kirai's, grave golem, grave diggers, etc), just not the crews they fit into.
  • I notice as I learn the game more, more and more masters/playstyles appeal to me. So maybe other Ressers will grow on me.
  • I think it is the models themselves putting me off a lot of the masters. I hate playing human-heavy crews, but also enjoy painting dead flesh. But the crews just seem a bit too human-heavy (even if they're dead humans). Jack Daw appeals despite that tendency, for some reason (maybe because they're past human into creepy models).

Neverborn

• I quite like 5-6 of the Masters/keywords in this faction (Dreamer, Titania, Pandora, Marcus, and could see playing others).
  • The versatile models/cross keyword models don't appeal to me so much - although that was true of Ressers at first.
  • The Neverborn seem like some of them are a bit 'anti-fun' (Dreamer snowballs super hard, Titania hits like a truck, etc) for my opponent, which is a consideration.
  • I've already purchased three resser boxes (Molly crew, rabble risers, Archie), but that's a bit of a sunk cost fallacy.
  • There seems to be a lot of quirky synergies and ways of interacting with the game in interesting ways (Dreamer lucid dreams, Pandora conditions, Widow Weaver teleports, etc). The crews in general seem to have really interesting rule sets.
  • The models are fantastic. A great range of quirky, creepy, and bizarre.

I also like the look of some random crews like Nellie Cochrane's - maybe I just like journalists xD

My worry is that I quite like Ressers so far, but may find there is not much room for 'growth.' I'm wondering if I would do better to pick up my second master as a neverborn, leaving me better situated to grow into a Neverborn player if I keep collecting. I'm a bit worried I'll invest too much into various Resser models and then not want to play any crew but Molly and Jack Daw. With Neverborn, I'd swap around a bit more, but I'm not sure if there's a single master I like as much as Molly.

How have you more experienced folks handled this? Just pick up whatever models you like at the time? Or do you try to have a wider plan for it?I quite like the idea of getting a lot of bang for my buck - I don't have that much money, so when I buy a model, I want it to be relevant for as many crews as possible.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

One of my absolute favorite things about M3e is that you don't really have to commit to a faction when it comes to purchases/collection. You could get a Titania crew rolling with her box + bultungin + Rogarou and be good to go. So you could maybe get 1-2 keywords for each faction, getting the best of both worlds.

If you're picking only 1-2 Ressers: Forgotten are fun and effective. Although I love Jack Daw, you might want to look into Urami (The most well rounded keyword in faction IMO, and arguably the strongest) or Experimental for a keyword that's going to cover everything that Forgotten don't. That said, if you're set on Jack, go for it.

For Neverborn, Dreamer can do pretty much everything and do it well. Fae are very solid and Titania is a tanky, mobile, and lethal master. 

I'd say if you like masters across factions, M3e is perfect for that and it's not going to tax your wallet (unlike every other skirmish/wargame).

It's time to have your cake and eat it too :}

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

If you love Molly, you can start with her. She is very happy with her theme models (and maybe the Dead Rider for an extra beater), so it's not like you have to dive headlong into the faction. With Molly's box and then Archie and the Rogue Necro, you'd have enough models for a full game. Assuming you already have painting supplies, that's <$100 for your Molly crew. You could then expand further into Forgotten with the Forgotten Marshal and some more Forgotten minions, or switch gears.

Get Molly, have your fun, then begin your Neverborn journey when you're ready.

I agree with @LeperColony that your first master should be the one that resonates with you the most strongly. With the advent of keyword hiring in 3E, faction is less of an important decision than it used to be. You could reasonably pick your favorite master or two from each faction and not have to go insane with purchases in order to field competent crews for them.

Edit: Just noticed that you mentioned that you already own Molly and some support models. That's even more of a reason to stick with her for the time being. Get a few games in, and if you like her a lot, you should round her out with the Rogue Necromancy and Forgotten Marshal for summoning. That'd be like $30 more. If she's not as much fun as you thought, you can put her aside and try one of the Neverborn masters you like. Since you enjoy monstrous crews, they'd be a great faction for you, maybe Dreamer and Nekima especially.

Molly really doesn't need to dip into the faction's Versatile models as much as some of the other masters, so if you're tentative about the Ressers, you picked a great starting point in terms of minimizing your investment.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

My first crew were Latigo family, then Lady J., then McMourning opened up for ressers, and that led to Seamus, but now I’ve found my real love in the creepy kids of Dreamer and Pandora.

I don’t care much for game mechanics, I just go by models, but I prefer playing crews, that aren’t too straightforward, which is why the Guild girls didn’t set with me, McMourning and Seamus fared better, but not quite and I didn’t care much for the rest of the ressers - although I’ll go for some pirates. And so I ended up with the creepy kids.

To me it sounds like you should go for the Neverborn and keep Molly/Ressers as a side project - otherwise get some game in with Molly vs either and see how they fare in real life before you choose.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the insights all!

I've been playing weekly since April or so, and so feel like I have a pretty good handle on Molly.  The advice here has definitely encouraged me to branch out, and I'll at least try Neverborn!

I'm also asking the local TO if tournaments tend to be fixed-faction. That'll make a big difference to my eventual decisions as well.