Too much bacon?!

LeperColony

10 hours ago, LeperColony said:

I've always been interested in Ulix, and decided to take the plunge.  The temptation to just load up on pigs is strong, but I'm worried about indulging in too much bacon.

How much support do those pigs need, or can I go full hog heaven?

I think you only need a few support pieces to have a successful crew. to be honest. A Slop Hauler feels like a must for the healing and summoning off of ram cards. Other players swear by the Hog Whisperer but the moderate obey TN and competing for rams with the Slop Hauler puts me off.

I like Big Brain Brin with Ulix as you can stack your deck towards the end of the turn with a bunch of severes, or, their relatively low defence means they are very succeptible to conditions which he can remove. Turning off triggers, arcane reservoir and card draw is gravy.

I also liek First Mate as a beater, but I'm sure you can manage without him.

So yeah - its nice to have options but if you're just starting out I'd suggest some haulers as a first port of call!

• Agree 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, Flippin' Wyrd George said:

I like Big Brain Brin with Ulix as you can stack your deck towards the end of the turn with a bunch of severes, or, their relatively low defence means they are very succeptible to conditions which he can remove. Turning off triggers, arcane reservoir and card draw is gravy.

I also liek First Mate as a beater, but I'm sure you can manage without him.

I have neither played BBB nor First Mate so I cannot tell wether you should take em or not but for Starters I'd say you should stick within the Keyword.

You just cannot go wrong with Slop haulers and Hog Whisperers (which will soon come in a box of three). You also Need piglets, obviously, and warpigs. Also the Sow and/or Gracie are good.

So I'd recommend you go hogwild at first and from there on you can dip into other stuff.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:30 AM, Flippin' Wyrd George said:

Other players swear by the Hog Whisperer but the moderate obey TN and competing for rams with the Slop Hauler puts me off.

Thank you! I very much agree, but others swear by the model(s). 

Havin' to use a 7 to even get a chance for a hit feels somewhat expensive to me. I'd much rather bring The Sow and have her summon piglets.

I'm not really swearing to the Hog Whisperer but I think the main draw for him is the Stick' em trigger on the Pig Sticker attack, allowing you to take any non-bonus action, including summoning with the Sow. Combined with Tools For the Job you can get a LOT of stuff done with this guy but if you want healing then he's obviously taking back seat to the Slop Hauler.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Barmution said:

I'm not really swearing to the Hog Whisperer but I think the main draw for him is the Stick' em trigger on the Pig Sticker attack, allowing you to take any non-bonus action, including summoning with the Sow. Combined with Tools For the Job you can get a LOT of stuff done with this guy but if you want healing then he's obviously taking back seat to the Slop Hauler.

Yeah I can super see why summoning multiple piglets with The Sow could be amazing! I will definitely give it a go some time, but with UK events not allowing unreleased beta models yet, my pigs are on hold until I can get some official Squealer rules!

46 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd George said:

Yeah I can super see why summoning multiple piglets with The Sow could be amazing! I will definitely give it a go some time, but with UK events not allowing unreleased beta models yet, my pigs are on hold until I can get some official Squealer rules!

and what are you guys playing? I don't see the point on doing that as there are a lot of crews that are seriously crippled without those :S

57 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd George said:

Yeah I knew there was a reason I wasn't obeying the Sow - the Hog Whisperer has a clause that you cant take actions that name models (piglet)

So that isn't legal.

Is there another way?

You literally quoted the post where I told you how: Hog Whisperer uses his Pig Sticker attack for the mask trigger on the Sow. The trigger, Stick'em, let's a beast take any non-bonus action without the "no named model restriction" that Obey and Herd'em has.

1 hour ago, LeperColony said:

What about the Pigapult?  Does that have a place in Ulix lists?

It was my plan to use the Pigapult with Ulix, but looks like there are better options (Wong, or possibly the Brewmaster). With Ulix, I think the best option is to park the sow next to the Pigapult and shoot as fast as they die. If you could launch a few piglets and then grow them up it would be pretty powerful, but then you need Ulix 6" away from the target, which is probably risky.

17 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

It was my plan to use the Pigapult with Ulix, but looks like there are better options (Wong, or possibly the Brewmaster). With Ulix, I think the best option is to park the sow next to the Pigapult and shoot as fast as they die. If you could launch a few piglets and then grow them up it would be pretty powerful, but then you need Ulix 6" away from the target, which is probably risky.

Parking the Sow next to the Pigapult just to pump out ammo sounds like a lot of stones invested.  Is it worth it?

• 2 weeks later...

I played Ulix a couple of times in the beta. He was a blast! I only really tried bringing Penelope, a Slop Hauler and a Rooster Rider (gotta keep it farm animals, right?) that weren't pigs. Granted, I've still only played him a few times, but fielding almost exclusively piggies worked really well. I'm a sucker for themes though, so if I could find a Pig model to cover a role a non-pig would, I would always go for the pink fellas. It's just a really silly and fun theme!