Wild Ones set

kenshinio

Question

22 answers to this question

You are right you can't currently field the box together in 1 crew.

There is something in the works that would make it possible to field the whole box together.  You'll just have to wait for that I'm afraid. Alternatively for friendly games you can make the Ramones Proxies for  some other TT models. (I can't think of a good profile that would be legal for you fielding 2 of (unless you wanted Jokomuno),  but using 1 as a yasanori is not a bad shout

Sorry I have no idea on the timeline.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if you were still asking the question in a years time, but that's just based on the typical Wyrd release of new rules at Gencon.

It might be why they haven't released the cards for any of the wild ones (or at least they hadn't when I downloaded them, I haven't checked recently),  or that might just be thatthey haven't got to them yet, there are certainly several other special editon cards that aren't weren't ready then either.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:44 AM, Adran said:

Sorry I have no idea on the timeline.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if you were still asking the question in a years time, but that's just based on the typical Wyrd release of new rules at Gencon.

It might be why they haven't released the cards for any of the wild ones (or at least they hadn't when I downloaded them, I haven't checked recently),  or that might just be thatthey haven't got to them yet, there are certainly several other special editon cards that aren't weren't ready then either.

If we’re still asking this question in a year I’ll be very disappointed. This experience has led me to not want to purchase nightmare boxes. Really disappointed on how this has been handled. 

2 hours ago, IronmanKC81 said:

If we’re still asking this question in a year I’ll be very disappointed. This experience has led me to not want to purchase nightmare boxes. Really disappointed on how this has been handled. 

As far as I'm aware, all of the other Nightmare boxes have rules (I haven't checked anything other than Ulix's though).  The difference with the Wild Ones box is the Ramones.

The Wild Ones Box was interesting in that it was an alt McCabe crew, but didn't contain only models present in McCabe's standard box.  So, when they made the decision to move to M3E and make McCabe 10T/Explorers Society there wasn't an existing model that the Ramones could easily be used in place of.  Which, as far as I can see left Wyrd with two choices: make the whole box something new, or release alt McCabe cards for the existing McCabe alternates and put the Ramones on hold for now.

The fact that they haven't released alt cards for Rollins and Co. indicates to me that they will be a whole new crew once we start getting some Explorer's Society releases, rather than just McCabe alternates.  in the long term that will be a great thing, but annoying in the shorter term for those with the box.  My advice would be just use them as McCabe as far as you can until the new cards for them are out.  You'll have to think of something for the Ramones, but it means the crew won't go to waste.  

That and pay attention to any Explorer's Society news, because it could be exciting for you!  But don't let it put you off future Nightmare Boxes.  This is the only one that is an issue and we're several years away from a new Edition (I hope!) so there won't be any sudden removal of any others anytime soon.

1 hour ago, theamazingmrg said:

As far as I'm aware, all of the other Nightmare boxes have rules (I haven't checked anything other than Ulix's though).  The difference with the Wild Ones box is the Ramones.

The Wild Ones Box was interesting in that it was an alt McCabe crew, but didn't contain only models present in McCabe's standard box.  So, when they made the decision to move to M3E and make McCabe 10T/Explorers Society there wasn't an existing model that the Ramones could easily be used in place of.  Which, as far as I can see left Wyrd with two choices: make the whole box something new, or release alt McCabe cards for the existing McCabe alternates and put the Ramones on hold for now.

The fact that they haven't released alt cards for Rollins and Co. indicates to me that they will be a whole new crew once we start getting some Explorer's Society releases, rather than just McCabe alternates.  in the long term that will be a great thing, but annoying in the shorter term for those with the box.  My advice would be just use them as McCabe as far as you can until the new cards for them are out.  You'll have to think of something for the Ramones, but it means the crew won't go to waste.  

That and pay attention to any Explorer's Society news, because it could be exciting for you!  But don['t let it put you off future Nightmare Boxes.  This is the only one that is an issue and we're several years away from a new Edition (I hope!) so there won't be any sudden removal of any others anytime soon.

I’m just extra bitter about it. I purchased my first nightmare box during the Black Friday sale and picked this box because I always thought McCabe was interesting. I put these models together and boom 3e is doing beta and I’m in and nada. They’ve been sitting on a shelf since December. 

Very frustrating... I got over the Seamus show girl thing pretty quickly and losing Hayridden but this one has stuck with me.

31 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I’m just extra bitter about it. I purchased my first nightmare box during the Black Friday sale and picked this box because I always thought McCabe was interesting. I put these models together and boom 3e is doing beta and I’m in and nada. They’ve been sitting on a shelf since December. 

Very frustrating... I got over the Seamus show girl thing pretty quickly and losing Hayridden but this one has stuck with me.

I picked up my first crew, Hoffman, during the tail-end of 1.5 edition only to find out M2E was imminent.  Didn't get a game, then bought the M2E rulebook and Hoffman wasn't in it, only half the Masters were.  Hoffman didn't come out until the second book.  So I never actually got to play until last year.  Six years of not being able to use a set is frustrating.  The Wild Ones box is still mostly usable, just with McCabe's cards.  Just two models that aren't.  It's really not that bad.

*quietly commiserating*

When the Nightmare McCabe came out, we all thought it was a great thing that its contents didn’t duplicate all the existing models, especially as mounted guards were quite difficult to access at the time. I’m just quietly sorry that the same quality we loved then is making the edition (and faction) change more difficult.

While I like the thought of a Ramone as a wanyudo (big wheel = big wheel), others have pointed out that the base size is a mismatch and they don’t want to rebase their nightmares.

15 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

*quietly commiserating*

When the Nightmare McCabe came out, we all thought it was a great thing that its contents didn’t duplicate all the existing models, especially as mounted guards were quite difficult to access at the time. I’m just quietly sorry that the same quality we loved then is making the edition (and faction) change more difficult.

I know, I bought the set on the self justification that I needed to buy mounted guard anyway, so this was worth it for them. So its now unlikely that the box will be legal for the purpose I bought it. Oh well I got 3 years or so out of it, which is decent, and I'm sure that soon I'll get fresh use out of it. But then I was always happy to mix and match the box with other crews rather than just field the wild ones en mass.

18 hours ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I was basing that on the three most likely solutions (that I can think of) to fielding the box together involve the release of new model rules. I don't know what the Wyrd plan is, but I wasn't expecting anything else from the explorers society until next Gen con.

Until I hear otherwise I intend on using them as equivalent models for the models they were in M2E and just not use them all in a crew together (which isn't how I used them anyway).

• Like 1

So, is The Wild Ones box sold at all anymore? Or have I missed it? 😉

I know it's been out a while, but I've never really had the cash to get it, and now I do. Plus it's the only Nightmare crew that lands in that happy intersection of "I wants it", & "I plays that Faction/Master".

23 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I know it's been out a while, but I've never really had the cash to get it, and now I do. Plus it's the only Nightmare crew that lands in that happy intersection of "I wants it", & "I plays that Faction/Master".

In the GenCon Q&A video, they said that it'll be re-released after the Explorer's book comes out.  The big hang up is that it's become a box for one of the Explorer's Society masters, and isn't a McCabe box any more.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, solkan said:

In the GenCon Q&A video, they said that it'll be re-released after the Explorer's book comes out.  The big hang up is that it's become a box for one of the Explorer's Society masters, and isn't a McCabe box any more.

Ahhh, I see. Wasn't aware that the re-release is going to invalidate the original purpose of the box. Okay, well let's see what shakes out when it re-issues. I just love those (formerly?) Mounted Guard alts tho. Thanks!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, solkan said:

No, it's still a McCabe box. It's just the monowheels are getting new counts as models in ES.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

No, it's still a McCabe box. It's just the monowheels are getting new counts as models in ES.

Got it. That makes the most sense, of course. Just feel for those who still want to use the Ramones as Mounted Guard, but feel they can't (in a Tournament setting, or whatever. I'm sure it's not a problem in casual games).

6 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I would expect it to only appear in black Friday and Easter sales. ( like all the older nightmare boxes) Fortunately there is a black Friday shortly after explorers are released ( hopefully). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adran said:

Fortunately there is a black Friday shortly after explorers are released ( hopefully). 

Do you mean the Explorers Starter Box? I'm starting to develop a looking for what's been shown of the Umbra keyword models, but I imagine their Crew Box is some ways away yet?

On 8/2/2020 at 8:58 AM, Bazlord_Prime said:

Do you mean the Explorers Starter Box? I'm starting to develop a looking for what's been shown of the Umbra keyword models, but I imagine their Crew Box is some ways away yet?

Considering they have shown a good deal of the Umbra artwork, English Ivan and his totem's artwork and the artwork for Dewalt I would be confident in saying that Umbra/DUA will be one of the earlier keywords to be released.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Cleezy said:

Considering they have shown a good deal of the Umbra artwork, English Ivan and his totem's artwork and the artwork for Dewalt I would be confident in saying that Umbra/DUA will be one of the earlier keywords to be released.

Yes, we only know 4 masters, and two of them are already out. We don't even know all the other keywords names, let alone the masters, it seems most likely that English Ivan and Lord Cooper are likely to be released at or near explorer release. (on the basis that hyping up Ivan now, and then not selling him for another year seems a bad use of hype)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Cleezy said:

Don't forget the original tease!IMG-20200219-WA0051.jpg.30bd516425b4dc1dda5d17423dbc86c6.thumb.jpg.0998246d1808a1fa291cc3a03b8f99bf.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cleezy said:

I think Wyrd had actually said in the opening live that Apex and DUA/Umbra will be released along with the Explorer book.

• Like 1