Faction first vs. Master first?

Conductor

I've been hovering around the outskirts of this game since it was first released and while I've always been intrigued I've never really taken the plunge to get into the game. Now with 3e out and the opinion that it seems to be a bit more streamlined it has caught my attention yet again. 

I've been looking through the factions and masters and I'm having an interesting (at least to me) dilemma. I find that I'm very interested in one particular master for a given faction but the other masters much less so. For example - I really like Shenlong but none of the other masters in Ten Thunders are calling to me. On the other hand, I like the idea of Marcus (less so than Shenlong) but there are one or two other Arcanist masters that might be interesting options.

I guess my question is - is it "better" to pick a master I'm less interested in a faction where I see more options or should I go with a master I'm super interested in that is part of a faction that I'm not as fond of?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Depends. How do you plan to primarily play? If you are looking for competitive events, the master/keyword that is the most powerful and flexible would be my choice. Assuming that is still the case the next criterion would be options, which faction has masters that are competitive that also cover gaps in the primary masters play style or weaknesses.

So if competitive play is your goal and the single master is an overwhelming powerhouse, go that way. If not are the masters you like in another faction that are less powerful, but enough to give you more options? Then go that way.

If competitive play is not your goal then how bored do you get playing the same master over and over? I for example own all the current resser masters and most of the NB ones but I’m pretty happy playing the same 2ish masters endlessly. If you’d don’t easily get bored go with the master you like best. 

If you do get bored, how much does it matter to you if your choice of crews aren’t in the same faction? If you are mainly playing casually, then again it doesn’t matter in the slightest if your masters aren’t in the same faction. Play Faction x with master y one day, and faction z with master a The next.

• Like 1

To fill your pile of choices higher, Marcus is a dual faction master now, so also check out the Neverborn and see if you like some of the other masters in that faction.

I always suggest new players should pick whichever master seems "cool" to them, with anything else like faction or effectiveness being secondary (though certainly not unimportant).  What's good and what matches your playstyle are things that you'll learn over time, and also things that may change over time.  But if you start out with someone you like, I think it's hard to go wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, explorator said:

If a Master "speaks" to you, give serious thought to playing them. There are some super-characterful Leaders in Malifaux, and almost all of them can build competative crews.

I very much agree with this.  Even if the master you like is "hard to play," I think you're just best off with something that you're into.

I say go with what interests you.  My eyes locked on lynch when I started the game, and he's been my favorite / near favorite ever since.  My boyfriend on the other hand took 2 years and 3 factions to decide he's a guild guy and now loves playing lady j / lucius... neither of which he would of guessed when we started.

TT is also a great place (in my opinion) to start out.  There's a bit of everything in TT so it gives you a good grasp of what is out there if you wanted to specialize later.

I'm struggling with this myself.

My favourite master is Molly, followed by a bunch of Neverborn crews.

I play every week, and partially wish I had gone the Neverborn route so I could swap between masters more.

I am also considering ignoring faction and picking up masters across a few factions. This would be a bit annoying for competitive play. It also makes each model useless out of keyword.

One thing to note is to check the dual faction masters. I discovered I quite like Jack Daw, who doesn't appear in the resser beta PDF.

2 hours ago, Conductor said:

I've been hovering around the outskirts of this game since it was first released and while I've always been intrigued I've never really taken the plunge to get into the game. Now with 3e out and the opinion that it seems to be a bit more streamlined it has caught my attention yet again. 

I've been looking through the factions and masters and I'm having an interesting (at least to me) dilemma. I find that I'm very interested in one particular master for a given faction but the other masters much less so. For example - I really like Shenlong but none of the other masters in Ten Thunders are calling to me. On the other hand, I like the idea of Marcus (less so than Shenlong) but there are one or two other Arcanist masters that might be interesting options.

I guess my question is - is it "better" to pick a master I'm less interested in a faction where I see more options or should I go with a master I'm super interested in that is part of a faction that I'm not as fond of?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

There is only one answer: get the models, that makes you want to paint.

As you start to play the game and learn the Ins and outs, you’ll inevitably see things, playstyles and synergies that will change your perspective - or maybe a ‘bad’ Master will be given a new model, etc. So you’ll stray from your chosen faction and find, what’s ‘right’ for you.

I myself have 8 fully painted crews in three different factions and only three games under my belt, that has me convinced that Neverborn will be my focus in gaming, as I like the style and the Vibe the best - although the new Nightmare resser crew will have me put in a new order.

That said I do find I want versatile models for Molly, but know it is a waste of time if I don't commit to Resser.

If you're happy with a shenlong crew without anything from out of keyword, I say pick it up. Just don't spend too much money on fleshing it out, as you may end up swapping factions.

I think the real commitment comes not when you start, but when you buy versatile models.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for all this great advice. I'm not planning on playing competitively so it sounds like staying within one faction isn't such a big deal. Reading all the responses has given me confidence in my choice and I think I'll be starting with Shenlong. Now to head over to the strategy forums and figure out what the heck I'm doing!

One additional question - is there a place on the forums/web where I can find players in my area? I'm not on Facebook so that might make things more difficult but I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 2

I believe there is a sort of introductions forum here and you can check if there is a local henchman and message them. I haven't found these forums very useful for meeting local players. Do you have a local shop that sells malifaux? Usually they tend to have certain days of the week when people meet up so ask there and show up on that day. I keep a Facebook profile almost exclusively to keep track of the local mini scene and get more people for my events, it seems to be a good platform for such things. 

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I believe there is a sort of introductions forum here and you can check if there is a local henchman and message them. I haven't found these forums very useful for meeting local players. Do you have a local shop that sells malifaux? Usually they tend to have certain days of the week when people meet up so ask there and show up on that day. I keep a Facebook profile almost exclusively to keep track of the local mini scene and get more people for my events, it seems to be a good platform for such things. 

And if you can't find players, make them!  If you have any other gaming buddies you can get to try Malifaux, or try to host some games at a FLGS.  I know it's convenient to have an experienced person who can teach the game, but there's nothing wrong with two (or more!) new players learning together.