Guard starting with "any armor"

Figgyfigs

IIRC the "You start with X equipment for Y cost" is on top of your starting scrip of 25.

So pursuits like Guard, Scrapper and Gunslinger etc have essentially "free" guns and armor (so long as combined cost is lower than 25)

*Edit* Yes, anybody can buy guns and armor but certain pursuits are simply able to buy more of it. Magical pursuits for example start with a magical toolkit costing 50scrip for free AND get their normal 25scrip for everything else. 

Edited by The13Fates
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The13Fates said:

IIRC the "You start with X equipment for Y cost" is on top of your starting scrip of 25.

So pursuits like Guard, Scrapper and Gunslinger etc have essentially "free" guns and armor (so long as combined cost is lower than 25)

*Edit* Yes, anybody can buy guns and armor but certain pursuits are simply able to buy more of it. Magical pursuits for example start with a magical toolkit costing 50scrip for free AND get their normal 25scrip for everything else. 

It doesn't mention cost, I don't think, but I don't have the rulebook so I can't check. I think it just said "a Close Combat weapon and any amor". And I thought you just get 10 Scrip to buy gear...?

It specifies "a Close Combat weapon and any armor with a total value of up to 25 scrip". Pretty much any time a Pursuit lets you choose starting equipment, it limits it to 25 scrip. Otherwise I could start as a Guard with one of those rocket-gatling guns from Above The Law. It'd be fun, but soooooper broken.

1 hour ago, Figgyfigs said:

It doesn't mention cost, I don't think, but I don't have the rulebook so I can't check. I think it just said "a Close Combat weapon and any amor". And I thought you just get 10 Scrip to buy gear...?

*With Core book in front of me this time*

You are correct, pg79 "Start the game with 10 Guild Scrip"

As for starting gear, pg98 (paraphrasing) 'Starting bonus is only gained during Char-creation'

Pg120 "A Guard begins the game with one close combat weapon and any armor" which can't cost more than 20Scrip combined.

As a Fatemaster I would rule this for choosing the Guard Pursuit:

You HAVE to choose a SINGLE Close Combat weapon from the lists available starting from pg226 and ANY Armor (including nothing at all) and so long as the TOTAL cost is equal to or less than 20Scrip. 

This can then allow you to use the 10Scrip at character creation for other items, weapons, other armor or (if FM allows) Mods for the chosen CC Weapon. So for Guard you would have more options available to you after obtaining a weapon, freeing you up to buy other things.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The13Fates said:

*With Core book in front of me this time*

You are correct, pg79 "Start the game with 10 Guild Scrip"

As for starting gear, pg98 (paraphrasing) 'Starting bonus is only gained during Char-creation'

Pg120 "A Guard begins the game with one close combat weapon and any armor" which can't cost more than 20Scrip combined.

As a Fatemaster I would rule this for choosing the Guard Pursuit:

You HAVE to choose a SINGLE Close Combat weapon from the lists available starting from pg226 and ANY Armor (including nothing at all) and so long as the TOTAL cost is equal to or less than 20Scrip. 

This can then allow you to use the 10Scrip at character creation for other items, weapons, other armor or (if FM allows) Mods for the chosen CC Weapon. So for Guard you would have more options available to you after obtaining a weapon, freeing you up to buy other things.

Thanks for finding all that. Can you just confirm where the 20 Scrip limitation comes from on the starting gear?

I missed that and so started the game with a weapon, modded with my 10 starting Scrip, and as much armor as I could wear, and I feel pretty OP. Definitely need to pare things down at the start of our next session.

At the Top of the Second column of Pg120 where it says starting gear, after saying 1 CC weapon and armor, it then says that the combined cost cannot exceed 20scrip, although most other pursuits allow a 25scrip limit on starting gear so check the most recent errata.

Glad we could help.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The13Fates said:

At the Top of the Second column of Pg120 where it says starting gear, after saying 1 CC weapon and armor, it then says that the combined cost cannot exceed 20scrip, although most other pursuits allow a 25scrip limit on starting gear so check the most recent errata.

Glad we could help.

Thanks again. One last question, could you please point me towards the errata? Is there a newer one than this? https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/132166-through-the-breach-faq-and-errata/