McCabe list and tactic

belorey

The list i'm using to learn the sinergies of McCabe. What do you think?

Soul Stone Cache: 1
[Masters]
 - Lucas McCabe, Relic Hunter, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Sidir Alchibal
 - Desper LaRaux
[Enforcers]
 - Luna
[Minions]
 - Huckster
   + Trained Ninja
 - Huckster
   + Trained Ninja
 - Ruffian
 - Samurai
   + Silent Protector

The deployment is with hucksters as close as i can from enemy deployment area but close to terrain for his amazing movement.

The rest of the gang around Luna waiting for her activation.

First turn Luna drop a scheme market and run. Ruffian drop a scheme market, use his  to move 3" the samurai and walk to get focus. Then i activate LaRaux, Hucksters or Samurai depends of enemies moverment. The last 2 activations should be:

McCabe search the Scrap, get a relic upgrade and give It to Sidir, then he uses his  to push him (and Sidir) 5". And last activation should be Sidir, he ido already fast, so he should be able to shoot some enemienemies.

Some tips:

First turns drop scheme markers in your area for future False Claim of the Hucksters.

Try to scape from enemies and don't let them to get close to you.

As soon as you can, give the second relic uograde to the Samurai. 3 shoots of his gatling are so dangerous.

Use the tactical action of hucksters to get cards or soulstones as many times as you can.

In my experience, Hucksters without Trained Ninja are just fine to give you a higher cache. If you play it right, the hucksters should always be hiding and out of LOS near blocking terrain anyway. 

Otherwise,  everything else seems solid. Have you given thought to a Tanuki instead of Ruffian? I find that they provide greater utility for me when I run McCabe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

That seems like a very specific way to play Mccabe with all the upgrades and only 1 stone. 

Usually you give fast to everyone the first turn by passing around 1 artifact on all of them using luna to extend the range. 1st turn fast on hucksters is similar to having trained ninja on them, they can get in position and drop a scheme the 1st turn to eat later with false claim.

Here's how it usually goes:

Activate luna, frantic digging a scrap marker, scrounge for relics an artifact, bonus pass upgrade to minion within 3".

With upgraded minion, bonus pass upgrade to another minion, doubling range with luna's carry the goods and placing her btb with the other minion, do 3 actions. Repeat. 

All your models will have fast the first turn as long as you don't black joker passing the artifact.

This also frees up mccabe from having to use an action the first turn to hand out an upgrade, so it effectively gives him fast. He can bonus move sidir, mv, and netgun twice, or focus netgun to try and blast.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zavros said:

That seems like a very specific way to play Mccabe with all the upgrades and only 1 stone. 

Usually you give fast to everyone the first turn by passing around 1 artifact on all of them using luna to extend the range. 1st turn fast on hucksters is similar to having trained ninja on them, they can get in position and drop a scheme the 1st turn to eat later with false claim.

Activate luna, frantic digging a scrap marker, scrounge for relics an artifact, bonus pass upgrade to minion within 3".

With upgraded minion, bonus pass upgrade to another minion, doubling range with luna's carry the goods and placing her btb with the other minion, do 3 actions. Repeat. 

All your models will have fast the first turn as long as you don't black joker passing the artifact.

This also frees up mccabe from having to use an action the first turn to hand out an upgrade, so it effectively gives him fast. He can bonus move sidir, mv, and netgun twice, or focus netgun to try and blast.

Other interesting way, and in the second turn you get an extra upgrade with Luna/McCabe

But i prefer my way because you can clean the first hand with the scrap marker. And keep a good hand for your second turn where you will have to get good cards for duels.

38 minutes ago, hoosiersoulstone said:

In my experience, Hucksters without Trained Ninja are just fine to give you a higher cache. If you play it right, the hucksters should always be hiding and out of LOS near blocking terrain anyway. 

Otherwise,  everything else seems solid. Have you given thought to a Tanuki instead of Ruffian? I find that they provide greater utility for me when I run McCabe.

No, i need to check how tanuki works

1 hour ago, belorey said:

No, i need to check how tanuki works

Long story short: 5ss Versatile with a bonus action that heals 1/2/3 and gives Focused+1, and an attack that ends 1 condition and gives Focused+1 if the target is friendly. Also an amazing Df trigger that makes attacking them in a lot of situations a big gamble if they won't die in 1 hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strangedane said:

On the subject of McCabe, are there more than 2 models (Luna and him), to get upgrades? 

What do you mean "get"?

Luna and McCabe are the only models that have the Scronge for Relics Action to attach upgrades from scrap markers but any Wastrel or minion model can be given an upgrade through either McCabe's Doling out the Loot trigger or the Take This Action on the upgrades themselves.

• Agree 1

On 7/16/2019 at 12:40 AM, Bammer said:

No, or at least not so far. Mechanically it makes sense that there wouldn't be as it's a mechanic specific to McCabe.

Maybe in future releases we'll see a henchman or minions (from Explorer's Society) that have the Scronge for Relic.

It's so hard top get more than 2/3 relics in a game, and the crew really need them to become competitive.

6 hours ago, belorey said:

Maybe in future releases we'll see a henchman or minions (from Explorer's Society) that have the Scronge for Relic.

I don't think that's very likely. From a design point of view, access to these upgrades are a facet of McCabe's design, so access to them will be restricted to McCabe.

If you have a henchman or minions that grant access to McCabes upgrades, how do you balance that? You either have people playing that faction that have access to McCabes upgrades for taking an OOK model, impacting the design space for the whole faction, or you restrict that ability to only available if McCabe is the leader, which makes it tricky to price that model in terms of cost, and restricts its usefulness to other masters.

1 hour ago, Bammer said:

I don't think that's very likely. From a design point of view, access to these upgrades are a facet of McCabe's design, so access to them will be restricted to McCabe.

If you have a henchman or minions that grant access to McCabes upgrades, how do you balance that? You either have people playing that faction that have access to McCabes upgrades for taking an OOK model, impacting the design space for the whole faction, or you restrict that ability to only available if McCabe is the leader, which makes it tricky to price that model in terms of cost, and restricts its usefulness to other masters.

As you said, you can restrict the ability of the henchman/minion to "only wastrel members".

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, FrostHunter said:

I'm wondering - does anybody tested McCabe with Wanyudo in crew? I'm quite allured to vision of two high mobile, trampling models especially against some sort of bubble crew.

I would LOVE to have a Wanyudo run over a clump of models staggered by McCabe's gun. 

Problem being the big round wheel is the shape of a target and folds like paper. If there is a narrow piece of dense difficult terrain you might be able to get him in there safely. Anyone who's faced him before will know to kill him quick!

Shame it can't take any of his upgrades....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've taken the Wanyudo a few times with McCabe or Asami/McCabe and love it! I run McCabe as basically a melee-shockwave with the amount of simple duels he can pump out in an activation and the Wanyudo doubles up on this very nicely.

You do have to be very careful with him though as as said above, that wagon wheel is made of paper. Use his speed and Unimpeded to keep him hidden until everything's engaged and use his push after hitting to get out of range of retaliation (or just get greedy and remove their whole hand so they can't hit him back! Then activate him first so it doesn't matter so much if they kill him).

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 12:36 PM, zavros said:

• 1 month later...

I tend to save McCabe for the last or second to last activation so I can try to start as many enemy models with slow on Tuesday two as possible,

i mention this because I love the Wanyudo and for only 7 points the glass canon makes my opponents think twice about what they are doing and where they are positioning. 

I haven’t had great luck with desper yet, but I have had okay luck running Ototo and Minako in his list. Having another source to pump out slow and to pump out katashiro that can take upgrades is nice. I am still trying to really work it out but I think they have a place in certain matchups. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any tips for out of keyword beaters? I want a melee beater but can't keep track of all the TT stuff. A couple of the more expensive minions seem like good canditates to ride with McCabe but maybe a good hench or enforcer will be worth the lost upgrade possibilities?

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

Any tips for out of keyword beaters? I want a melee beater but can't keep track of all the TT stuff. A couple of the more expensive minions seem like good canditates to ride with McCabe but maybe a good hench or enforcer will be worth the lost upgrade possibilities?

Samurais are decent melee beaters while also being a good range dmg dealers! ;) and they can gain Mc Cabe upgrades! Jorogumo are also very good with him!

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2019 at 4:45 PM, bedjy said:

Jorogumo are very interesting with laser spider legs giving them precise and know the warriors. 

They'll be Fast and ahead of your crew. They'll have equality of fate and will draw cards whenever you cheat with :+flipfrom flicker and focus. 

Thanks! I was thinking I'd pull McCabe up with a ninja Beckoner and if I get the time trigger that extra movement on the Jorogumo will make a difference to my action/card economy. Masked agent on McCabe should get him and the spider psycho pretty much into the enemy deployment zone turn one if someone won't come to me. 

Edit: I realised spiders can't ride horses so a kabuki warrior might be better. Their negative to willpower duels let's you blast off a relic with "Careful, it's cursed" and actually have a decent shot at injuring enemies with it. It also has a pretty good attack and decent defenses.