Fatemaster Friday - If you are a dreamer, come in...

Kimberly

Happy Friday Breachers!

The comment from last week's post to select was difficult to pick. All of you who commented with great experiences, and thank you so much for sharing! My pick for this week was one of my personal favorites, so here's what @J4bberw0ck had to say about falling in love with TTB as a game:

The moment I fell in love with the system, though, was when my wife and I sat down to create her first character: a doctor who refused to accept that death meant her job was over. It worked so dang well, and the character was so much fun, that it's still the one we use to describe how great a TtB character can be to new players. Like they say, "a necromancer is just a really late healer."

I'm always a sucker for a story about a couple playing RPGs, and it sounds like your wife has exactly the kind of mind meant for that 'Fauxverse!

Now, on to today's topic! Sometimes a Fatemaster just wants to get into the meat of an adventure to show a group of players what's great about TTB, and personally, I have found that our Penny Dreadfuls are a wonderful way to get players involved-- especially when they have pre-generated Fated included! The variety available to a Fatemaster means you can pick a Penny Dreadful that will showcase the aspects of Through the Breach and the 'Fauxverse that will wow your players.

Want to showcase the Little Kingdom and the Ten Thunders? Earthly Desires has you covered! Interested in the horror of the Ressers? Recruitment Drive can drop your players right into trouble with the University of Transmortis! Do your players want to experience the Bayou? The Hand that Feeds is a great way for them to learn the horrors of the Bayou firsthand! Sixteen Tons can give players a taste of the Arcanists (and the Order of the Chimera,) while A Stitch in Time is perfect for players who want to experience some of Malifaux's past. 

No matter what kind of adventure your group is looking to explore in the 'Fauxverse there is sure to be a Penny Dreadful to get you started. For this week's Mail Call, which Penny Dreadful is your favorite and why?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey, that's me! Thanks for the shout-out, @Kimberly, my wife will be tickled pink (as will her new character, a drunken gremlin with a gun made of mining tools).

As for my favorite Penny Dreadful, it's gotta be The Ferryman. It's so creepy and atmospheric, and it brings in a piece of Malifaux we rarely see (ie, the river). I've never had a chance to run it, sadly, but I can't wait to throw it at my players someday.

• Like 1

In my current homebrew campaign, the Fated are on the trail of an artist who is functionally immortal (finding out that if he were to ever die, he would wake up in the same place and find his own corpse, in a sort of altered Groundhog's day).

So I had a great time mixing in the one shot "A Night at the Star" using such a character. Which had my girlfriend so enamored by the Star Theater she switched pursuits from Graverobber to Performer midway and even started the Showgirl Advanced pursuit, making for an excellent character arc.

Later on, when I needed the BBEG to host a party, what better than to use the "Honor Among Thieves" PD. The main antagonist who just so happened to have a collection of the very same artists paintings and sculptures from centuries past.

My favourite so far though? Hands down "Northern Aggression" the buildup of tension, the deep plot hooks that invite the Fated to keep going, keep exploring, make connections in the world... made me proud to be a Fatemaster.

• Like 2

That is a really cool sounding campaign, and I love when someone gets so excited by an idea that they switch their character focus entirely. That flexibility is part of why I love TtB!

For the immortal artist, have you considered throwing a Living Portrait in somewhere? It seems like the sort of thing he might have figured out how to do, and it's very thematically appropriate. For inspiration, look to the movie Velvet Buzzsaw. Art comes to life and kills people. I didn't particularly like its execution, but the idea was SO COOL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J4bberw0ck said:

For the immortal artist, have you considered throwing a Living Portrait in somewhere?

I'm looking forward to using Living Portrait, I just need to find a way to slot it in.

The Artist is themed around Time, the Fated first meeting him when an antique shop asks them to retrieve an item said to be hidden in his tomb in the Badlands, they were surprised to find out that he was trapped inside in a twisted time loop caused by a sculpture of his own creation and was happy to be rid of it.

I was thinking the BBEG traps the artist as a Living Portrait and the Fated have to figure out how to free him?...

Outside of Stitch in Time are there any other Time manipulation type Penny Dreadfuls I could work into the story?

Obsidian Gate Spoilers

My personal favourite was Obsidian Gate. I play tested it before public release but my players had a great time after Zhong Kui showed up. The best moment however was when I had to improvise the ENTIRE Shuten-Dojo battle because the players decided not to climb the beast but to bait it into swallowing an entire cart with barrels of sleeping potion.

• Like 1

My group really enjoyed the A Stitch in Time too, and there was a lot of love for the bit in Nythera where they have to take part in an underground boxing match. I personally loved the Obsidian Gate. I never really think to chuck the one shots into my Homebrew campaign. It'd be an ideal low-prep solution if I'm creatively running dry.

In my current homebrew, I'm echoing some of the plot beats from the Rotenburg campaign, as I loved the idea of the undead bioweapon, I've got something like that happening in the background of mine, but I'm not sure if my fated are going to follow that hook or just randomly going around blowing stuff up.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 6:04 PM, J4bberw0ck said:

For inspiration, look to the movie Velvet Buzzsaw. Art comes to life and kills people. I didn't particularly like its execution, but the idea was SO COOL.

I know it's off topic, but I *love* Velvet Buzzsaw!