Shadows and LOS

Mortarion

Question

I have been reading the rules for shadows and line of sight several times and there is one thing I don't quite understand.

Page 54 (18 in the PDF) in the rulebook says: "When drawing sight lines from one model to another, if either model is in the Shadow of terrain with Height equal to or greater than the Size of that model (even partially), any sight lines that pass through the terrain generating that Shadow are blocked (even if the terrain is being ignored du to its Height, as per the Line of Sight and Size rules on pg. 53)."

So, let's say we have a Changeling (Size 1) standing in the Shadow of a Height 1 Blocking terrain and a Peacekeeper (Size 3) is looking at the Changeling. All lines of sight pass through the blocking terrain. Following the quote above, the Peacekeeper would according to my interpretation not be able to see the Changeling since the Changeling is in the Shadow of terrain with Height equal to its Size. That means that any sight line passing through the terrain is blocked even though the Peacekeeper ignores the terrain. A change from M2E, but still quite clear.

But then I read the example on page 55. It says: "The Guard patrol is entirely within the terrain's Shadow and the terrain's Height is greater than the Size of both Parker (Size 2) and the Guard Patrol (Size 2), so any sight lines that pass through the terrain are blocked." and "The Guild Hound is entirely within the terrain’s Shadow, and the terrain’s Height is greater than the Size of both Parker and the Guild Hound (Size 1), so any sight lines that pass through the terrain are blocked." (my underlining). In this case it doesn't talk about either of the models in the Shadow, but rather both of the models. And if the requirement was for the Height to be greater than the Size of both models, the Peacekeeper would be able to see the Changeling.

So which is correct? Is it enough that the Height of the terrain is equal to or greater than either model in the Shadow or does it have to be equal to or greater than both models? I assume that the rules on page 54 (either) is correct and that the example is just poorly worded. (It is correct that the Height is greater than the Size of both models, even though that is completely irrellevant in that case.)

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Mortarion said:

But then I read the example on page 55. It says: "The Guard patrol is entirely within the terrain's Shadow and the terrain's Height is greater than the Size of both Parker (Size 2) and the Guard Patrol (Size 2), so any sight lines that pass through the terrain are blocked." and "The Guild Hound is entirely within the terrain’s Shadow, and the terrain’s Height is greater than the Size of both Parker and the Guild Hound (Size 1), so any sight lines that pass through the terrain are blocked." (my underlining). In this case it doesn't talk about either of the models in the Shadow, but rather both of the models. And if the requirement was for the Height to be greater than the Size of both models, the Peacekeeper would be able to see the Changeling.

I'd like to point out that this is a case where the explanation is technically correct, but the example isn't really demonstrating the shadow zone rules.

Parker is Ht2.  The Dog is Ht1.  The intervening terrain is Ht3.  So line of sight is blocked due to the Height rules, and the fact that either of those models are standing in a shadow zone is irrelevant.  If Parker were taller than the terrain (either by being Ht4 or standing on tall enough scenery), then the fact that the Guild Hound was in the shadow zone would be relevant (the shadow zone rules would cause line of sight to be blocked).

The reason the shadow zone is (incorrectly) marked in that diagram is mostly because of the cover rules getting switched over to being determined by shadows, and needing to illustrate which of the models get cover from the Ht3 terrain.

Edit:  And, for what it's worth, the Guard Patrol is mentioned because it's trying to point out that being "in front" of the terrain generating a shadow doesn't benefit anyone.