Let’s talk cavalry

Michael Curran

Your opinions : best equitable choice for choosing a cavalry model for ‘Marshal’ keyword.  All three have mv.7”, weapon damage is all rather relative, all are unimpeded.

Mounted Guard costs 9 tax included & has three nice abilities: demise, got your back & ride with me.  His df is 5

Lone Marshal costs 9 has ruthless, hard to wound, and startle, lots of triggers, but no ride with me.  His df is 6

Pale Rider costs 11 has ruthless, hard to wound, revel in conflict ( of which I do not understand how you get all those rams? ) & ride with me.  Plus, df of 6 with a built in ram.

A rather interesting dilemma....... thoughts?

Concerning Revel in Conflict, during the Declare Triggers phase, you can discard any number of your Fate Tokens to gain the same number of Rams (Chasing Fate). In theory, if you don't use your Fate Tokens for other things (like reducing damages), you can use three times (Turns 3,4,5) the Devastation Trigger. And I can guarantee that it hurts really hard when your are the opponent of the Pale Rider.

I have yet to try these cavaleries but I think that the three can be included. It depends on your number of Soulstones left for hiring ans some other corner cases. For example, if you face Neverborn and think there will be Terrifying duels, forget the Mounted Guard.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Michael Curran said:

Your opinions : best equitable choice for choosing a cavalry model for ‘Marshal’ keyword.  All three have mv.7”, weapon damage is all rather relative, all are unimpeded.

Mounted Guard costs 9 tax included & has three nice abilities: demise, got your back & ride with me.  His df is 5

Lone Marshal costs 9 has ruthless, hard to wound, and startle, lots of triggers, but no ride with me.  His df is 6

Pale Rider costs 11 has ruthless, hard to wound, revel in conflict ( of which I do not understand how you get all those rams? ) & ride with me.  Plus, df of 6 with a built in ram.

A rather interesting dilemma....... thoughts?

I like pale rider because lj creates such a problem that opponents don't get to work on him before he starts getting really good.   If I want ride with me I take him.

Lone Marshall I haven't run yet but I love the look of him.   I think range 14 and run and gun had serious game, and there will be opposing crews that simply can't deal with him.  

don't forget Lone Marshal can charge and shoot! I use him often has a scheme runner with LJ. He's fast and can still provide offense while doing the scheme job! For me he is a must have in lots of strat/schemes because of that!

I never was disappointed by him in all the game I fielded him! :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I would say that each has its own niche that you really want to use it in.

The lone Marshall is a true loner. He doesn't need anyone around, and really does just want to do it all by himself. He has a crazy threat range (He can shoot something that starts 28" from him, or shoot twice at 21" and this actually gets larger if he starts the turn engaged because he can use his bonus action to get a disengage push, for potentaily an extra 7" movement! upping his possible threat range to 35"!). He can move 7", take a 14" range shot and drop a scheme marker if you want, which is a fairly solid turn potential for a dangerous scheme runner.

The pale rider is the most expensive, but you can get a huge amount of out Revel in Conflict in the right lists. You probably pick him in games when you are expecting a big scrap in 1 spot on the table. The potential for a free charge for every other model you own every turn from turn 2 onwards, or slowing and damaging every enemy model turns 3, 4 and 5 is a huge reason why you spend the points on him.

The mounted guard is probably the least exciting of the three, but its still a good model. It is useful for improving crew mobility, and protecting other models with its bonus actions. In a marshal list you're not going to gain much from the arrest order trigger, but if you want a good way to introduce strong but slow models to the fight faster, or even move models rapidly away after they pine box something nasty, then this is a great way to do it.  As a pure scheme runner I would also put this model over the lone marshal, because it does have the opportunity to drop 2 scheme markers in a turn.  

All in all the only way I'm likely to be considering the three against each other is if I'm hiring based on appearance. I would probably use the pale rider as a model to base my list around, rather than add in as a later choice. If I want pure mobility, I'd probably go mounted guard, but if I want mobility and threat I'd go Lone Marshal. Run and Gun really does help the efficiency letting you move and shoot for 1 action.

• Like 1

I don't actually own a lone marshal, but I can't see why he wouldn't work for them. If you want a fast mobile ranged threat, I think he is probably the best option in guild. There are lists that won't want that, and play styles that don't want that, but that's for you as a player to choose. If you already own him, then I would certainly suggest trying it. You may find you need the keyword synergy more, you may not. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've played a bunch of games with the pale rider, and he is approaching auto-take for me.  His revel in conflict with Devastation has just broken the back of so many crews for me.  So often I have a couple of key enemies at 2-4 wounds remaining in the center of a conflict, and removing them all at once just plain changes the board.

I guess my opponents will figure it out eventually, but right now it's bananas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

For the moment, the best way to deal with it , in my opinion, is to hit the rider to force your opponent using his Fate Tokens to reduce damage and then don't keep enough to spend for Devastation. 

Same advice for the Dead Rider (irreducible damage too) and the Mechanical Rider (a possible second activation of a Coryphee Duet is very frightening usually).

51 minutes ago, Vangerdahast said:

For the moment, the best way to deal with it , in my opinion, is to hit the rider to force your opponent using his Fate Tokens to reduce damage and then don't keep enough to spend for Devastation. 

Same advice for the Dead Rider (irreducible damage too) and the Mechanical Rider (a possible second activation of a Coryphee Duet is very frightening usually).

Agreed, but so far my opponents have not been able to pull that off.    I assume that they will soon, or come after his willpower.  LLC is a nice addition when I can afford it.

5 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

So I've played a bunch of games with the pale rider, and he is approaching auto-take for me.  His revel in conflict with Devastation has just broken the back of so many crews for me.  So often I have a couple of key enemies at 2-4 wounds remaining in the center of a conflict, and removing them all at once just plain changes the board.

I guess my opponents will figure it out eventually, but right now it's bananas.

With 7 mv though he likely can stay out of danger until he activates and does Revel. The trick is staying alive to do it twice!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Angelshard said:

True, it's just something I've started pointing out as a lot of people are unaware that you can cheat damage flips outside conventional attacks. 

the look on the face of my opponent when I cheated severe for Stewie's Demise ability! ahah!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2