"I'm a Basse Man"- A Cornelius Basse Discussion Thread

4thstringer

Question for the group (I’m not sure I’ve seen this discussed elsewhere). With Home on the Range extending the area of deployment for Frontier models, how does that affect deployment zones like Flank and Wedge that have sharp points in the deployment area? 

For example, say you can deploy up to 6” from the deployment zone in Flank. From what I sketched out below, would you be able to deploy in the shaded areas? 

61DCB2C7-769E-4001-B95F-386E7DF3853A.jpeg

On 9/18/2019 at 6:34 PM, 4thstringer said:

Ok, honing my 8 traps basse list.  

I'm going to try next game (assuming my opponent is ok with double masters)  basses, Sonia, Pathfinder, undercover reporter.  8 traps.  

Has anyone else tried this?

I ran it tonight, against mcmourning.  Won 6-2.  It was pretty good.  Completed both points for all my schemes, but he only had 3 models left turn 4 and I wasn't going to be able to get to and kill his rider.  

The staggered made a big difference imo.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:50 PM, 4thstringer said:

Technically it says+1"beyond the deployment zone.    So my read is the way you draw it.  The question I'm not sure of, is it whole base must be within, like deployment zone, or is deploying x" beyond from the back of the marker?

Unless you're telling the attacker that they can put the first half of their models on the outside of their deployment zones, those models with Home on the Range are all inside the line.  They just have a line that's pushed outward (and/or curved, like in SweetTooth's sketch) +X".  :) 

5 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I ran it tonight, against mcmourning.  Won 6-2.  It was pretty good.  Completed both points for all my schemes, but he only had 3 models left turn 4 and I wasn't going to be able to get to and kill his rider.  

The staggered made a big difference imo.

Good job mate!

I gotta admit, I'm struggling making a good use of Cornelius crew. I can't find a good spot for them to be in, so Im willing to have a try with your list...

I'm going to be trying a pretty straightforward Frontier crew for my first game tonight:

Cor Basse + LLC 
Bern Basse
Reichart + LLC 
Pathfinder + No Prisoners 
Frontiersman 
Austringer 
Crockett 
trap 
trap 
trap 

I've been looking over the cards, and the Austringer seems a little...underwhelming.  Am I missing something?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

I'm going to be trying a pretty straightforward Frontier crew for my first game tonight:

Cor Basse + LLC 
Bern Basse
Reichart + LLC 
Pathfinder + No Prisoners 
Frontiersman 
Austringer 
Crockett 
trap 
trap 
trap 

I've been looking over the cards, and the Austringer seems a little...underwhelming.  Am I missing something?

3 attacks, especially one with the ability to attack again, is good.  

I'm not sure I like no prisoners on the pathfinder.  He has 2 good rapid actions(unless I'm thinking of the wrong upgrade).  I guess  you could get some mileage out of run and gun on him, but I tend to be able to get the shot with him already with his nice range.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

3 attacks, especially one with the ability to attack again, is good.  

Are you talking about the Austringer?  

22 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I'm not sure I like no prisoners on the pathfinder. 

It's mostly for run and gun and potentially the heal, I don't ever see using the :ToS-Fast: over making a trap or dust cloud.  Since he doesn't have any movement tricks, I felt combining moving and shooting would be efficient for actions.  It might not be worth it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

Are you talking about the Austringer?  

It's mostly for run and gun and potentially the heal, I don't ever see using the :ToS-Fast: over making a trap or dust cloud.  Since he doesn't have any movement tricks, I felt combining moving and shooting would be efficient for actions.  It might not be worth it. 

Yeah, the austringer can shoot twice then send the bird out once, and even get the trigger to do it again.  Actually makes a decent target for expert shot imo (though I stopped being willing to pay for that because it was too expensive overall)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4thstringer said:

Yeah, the austringer can shoot twice then send the bird out once, and even get the trigger to do it again.  Actually makes a decent target for expert shot imo (though I stopped being willing to pay for that because it was too expensive overall)

Haha, I completely misread the upgrade.  I thought the summoned raptor gained the :ToS-Fast:!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeperColony said:

I find the Austringer underwhelming as well. His gun is no better than a frontiersman and the melee is even worse. So for 2 stones I’m getting the raptor :ToS-Fast:  attack? Ehh.. I’ll take a few more traps or a frontiersman or pathfinder first.

That said, I am on board team traps. They are so good at gumming up the enemy, which gives the rest of the crew the freedom to go after enemies of their choosing and do schemes. I’m slowly trying to mix in Grimwell or Alan for that stagger synergy. As far as the rest of the crew, I’m always bringing a Pathfinder, usually with Expert Marksman, and Paul, for coordinated attack. 

My meta hasn’t figured out how to counter Basse yet, so I’m deploying crazy forward as a scare tactic (it’s working too). That’ll keep up until I play our local Nekima player. :P 

I brought Sonnia in as a second master my last game. The traps kept drunk gremlins from getting too far so she could blast them away. 

Im considering taking Ms KORE or some other big Augmented model in a trap heavy list as I’m finding my opponents enjoy the scrap they leave behind, so I should punish that behavior with my own scrap eater. 😈

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I find the Austringer underwhelming as well. His gun is no better than a frontiersman and the melee is even worse. So for 2 stones I’m getting the raptor :ToS-Fast:  attack? Ehh.. I’ll take a few more traps or a frontiersman or pathfinder first.

That said, I am on board team traps. They are so good at gumming up the enemy, which gives the rest of the crew the freedom to go after enemies of their choosing and do schemes. I’m slowly trying to mix in Grimwell or Alan for that stagger synergy. As far as the rest of the crew, I’m always bringing a Pathfinder, usually with Expert Marksman, and Paul, for coordinated attack. 

My meta hasn’t figured out how to counter Basse yet, so I’m deploying crazy forward as a scare tactic (it’s working too). That’ll keep up until I play our local Nekima player. :P 

I brought Sonnia in as a second master my last game. The traps kept drunk gremlins from getting too far so she could blast them away. 

Im considering taking Ms KORE or some other big Augmented model in a trap heavy list as I’m finding my opponents enjoy the scrap they leave behind, so I should punish that behavior with my own scrap eater. 😈

I'm still thinking about ways to use those scrap.  The best thing I've come up with so far is coming in swinging with Nellie.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ask: what are you all finding Cornelius' place to be within Guild?

We have Sonnia for blasts, Perdita for shooting, Lady J and Hoffman for tanky, slow hard hitters, and Dashel for swarms of models. (Nellie and Lucius are just completely different, so not really relevant here).

I'm not really seeing a place where he's the best option, except maybe against Guild opponents, due to the concealment vs. the prevalence of our own shooting.

I'm probably missing something, but he just doesn't seem to be the best at any of the things he does. Is it just that he does all of it decently?

53 minutes ago, Xekros said:

I have to ask: what are you all finding Cornelius' place to be within Guild?

We have Sonnia for blasts, Perdita for shooting, Lady J and Hoffman for tanky, slow hard hitters, and Dashel for swarms of models. (Nellie and Lucius are just completely different, so not really relevant here).

I'm not really seeing a place where he's the best option, except maybe against Guild opponents, due to the concealment vs. the prevalence of our own shooting.

I'm probably missing something, but he just doesn't seem to be the best at any of the things he does. Is it just that he does all of it decently?

He handles concealing severe terrain better than most guild masters.

Traps at 2 points are a really nice value, and can really make the unpacking of a crew on turn 1 kind of difficult.

Because of the way home on the range works, he can get upfield really really fast and jam up opponents with or without traps.

I like him a lot with second masters myself. 

I wish he had more ruthless in his crew.  And I'm not a fan of the frontiersmen.

26 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Ran the basse, traps, Sonia list again.  This time into molly. My opponent did a nice job of spreading out, and I did a bad job of theme picking.  We ended up a 4-4 tie.  I bjed an important init flip as well as 2 damage flips on Molly.  

Stellar use of the black joker there. Gives you a great excuse for losing :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Got another 8-2 win with basse/traps/Sonia list.  Vs a youkou list made to get past the traps and drain hand on the traps.

What would you use if you cant use sonnia, um isnt very prone to using a second master it's just not legal  in most events and in casual play it's not used either

4 hours ago, Starrius said:

What would you use if you cant use sonnia, um isnt very prone to using a second master it's just not legal  in most events and in casual play it's not used either

I think that guild is really hurt by the second master ban in the UK.  IMO it is one of the reasons you aren't seeing guild players.   That being said, I've run it with reichart instead and had, though a lesser degree of success, enough success that I would recommend it.  You can do LLC on reichart and basse if you want.