"I'm a Basse Man"- A Cornelius Basse Discussion Thread

4thstringer

On 7/6/2019 at 1:21 PM, Nikodemus said:

Assuming Basse is your Leader, yes you can hire Paul Crockett since they share the same keyword. See "Hire Crew" in the rulebook, page 43 in the pdf.

Has anyone tried Paul?  Without stronger beasts than Raptors and Hounds, it seems Scent of Blood is kind of wasted.  However, he still has Expert Shot, and his Carbine is a respectable attack for a 6 point model.

20 minutes ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

Has anyone tried Paul?  Without stronger beasts than Raptors and Hounds, it seems Scent of Blood is kind of wasted.  However, he still has Expert Shot, and his Carbine is a respectable attack for a 6 point model.

I bought his model on the cheap from the mini market sale but haven't played with him yet.  

1 hour ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

I ran my first Basse game tonight and took Paul. He was doing work for me. He’s the only model in the crew that ignores friendly fire (IIRC), so I used him as a finisher. He took out Pere and Francois LaCroix after Jonathan and Basse softened them up.

My crew was Basse, Bernadette, Jonathan + LLC, Paul, Pathfinder, Frontiersman x2. Up against an Ophelia crew directly from the core box plus some upgrades, so we played a 40ss game that was more learning focused for both of us. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 8:52 AM, trikk said:

Ain't nobody got stones for that!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣  nice one.

I came up against Basse last week with Parker. 

I played against a girl in our local community to train her for our local tournament a week ago. Before the "trainee-game" I read the other ones Crew and was hooked....I shot Basse from the Board but my opponent(ess) made some bad,bad desicions and had bad flips and hands too.

Basse + Jon are really really frightening and Paul Crockett is very nice with Jon because of his mask trigger (coordinated attack)

I don't know why all guys are hooked on that Pale Rider thing, he's good but a 11 SS model Enforcer that needs 3 rounds to Ram(p) up is a bit situational IMO.

"Ride with me" okay, but you could deploy Jon and all others 8" further you won't need that rwm-ability.

5 minutes ago, Dark Reaper said:

People like him because he can ride with me and shoot his gun in turns 1 and 2, then he can blow up the entire enemy crew in turn 3 and pretty much guarantee you the win. I would say that is pretty good.

He's far too easy too counter. I saw a Deadie die in T1 from 1 Seamus shot. Pretty nasty.

I will try to OOK hire a Domandor de Cadavres or a Rifleman.

38 minutes ago, NAX3011 said:

He's far too easy too counter. I saw a Deadie die in T1 from 1 Seamus shot. Pretty nasty.

I will try to OOK hire a Domandor de Cadavres or a Rifleman.

Flintlock does 8 max and hes 9 wounds.   Is the Dead Rider different?

TBH, if I'm facing Seamus I would probably buy a model with protect for my rider, but I just love him that much.

6 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Flintlock does 8 max and hes 9 wounds.   Is the Dead Rider different?

I suppose it implies Seamus getting a RJ on dmg flip against an unactivated T1 Dead Rider without Fate Tokens. You know, that easy counter everyone can use...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 4:42 PM, NAX3011 said:
Cornelius Basse
Bernadette Basse
Jonathan Reichart (10)
Lead-Lined Coat
Brutal Effigy (4)
Pale Rider (11)
Austringer (7)
Pathfinder (6)
Frontiersman (5)

I like to test this. Having in start of t3 rider and emissary. Before t3 effigy is doing some schemes.

Did you ever test this?

Played my first Basse game last night and I find that he is so punishing to people who don't understand positioning well. My opponent played Lynch in wedge deploy and put most of his crew pretty far up the point of the zone. Letting me get Reichart and Basse in with focused shots to murder Huggy and his illuminated and put damage on most of the rest of his crew.  The two of them with LLC were tanky enough to not care about the rest of his crew

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

I find that he is so punishing to people who don't understand positioning well.

He also plays against you if you don't understand positioning well. The first time I played him I was so giddy at the thought of deploying an extra 7 inches into the map that I never stopped and questioned if that was the best place to put him. For inexperienced, or, in my case, stupid, players Home on the Range can be a trap where you feel compelled to push him close to the enemy as possible. Some restraint and proper reading of the terrain goes a looong way with him.

5 hours ago, 11Anthonyc said:

He also plays against you if you don't understand positioning well. The first time I played him I was so giddy at the thought of deploying an extra 7 inches into the map that I never stopped and questioned if that was the best place to put him. For inexperienced, or, in my case, stupid, players Home on the Range can be a trap where you feel compelled to push him close to the enemy as possible. Some restraint and proper reading of the terrain goes a looong way with him.

Without a doubt. You have to read the board and the opponent's deployment well.  Last night the Lynch player put all of his models towards the top of the Wedge. Let me kill Huggy and the Illuminated in the first turn. By turn 2, Pale Rider had cleared out Lynch and the blasts had whittled everything in his crew down to 4 models none of which had full heath thanks to blasts and pot shots. 

Some observations from my 2 games so far. (Grain of salt as I'm still getting the hang of him).

1. This crew can get to support models real fast, and can get them real dead. Waifs? Better be in the back corner. Stolen? Probably dead turn 

2. Basse and Reichart are tanky bastards. I think LLC is gonna be pretty common on them but they can wade in and keep some of the heat off your squishier minions. 

3. Pathfinders and Traps are the serious MVPs in this keyword. I see this crew is a board control shooty list and that's what Pathfinders are best at. Putting traps in the way and shooting things dead. 

4. Stoic Nod not being a bonus action sucks on my two big beaters. Might be worth bringing some outside healing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

Some observations from my 2 games so far. (Grain of salt as I'm still getting the hang of him).

1. This crew can get to support models real fast, and can get them real dead. Waifs? Better be in the back corner. Stolen? Probably dead turn 

2. Basse and Reichart are tanky bastards. I think LLC is gonna be pretty common on them but they can wade in and keep some of the heat off your squishier minions. 

3. Pathfinders and Traps are the serious MVPs in this keyword. I see this crew is a board control shooty list and that's what Pathfinders are best at. Putting traps in the way and shooting things dead. 

4. Stoic Nod not being a bonus action sucks on my two big beaters. Might be worth bringing some outside healing. 

When I look at Basse and Reichart more often than not I consider stoic nod a dead action.  Am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

When I look at Basse and Reichart more often than not I consider stoic nod a dead action.  Am I missing something?

I'd use it to keep Reichart alive. at 5 or less HP with H2W and H2K, 2 or 3 HP is a big deal on keeping him alive. That being said, I'm not fond of using a master AP to do it

• Like 1