"I'm a Basse Man"- A Cornelius Basse Discussion Thread

4thstringer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myGFs0PzxdE - 

Lets talk about Cornelius Basse.  What are you liking and disliking in his crew so far.  What schemes are you liking with him.  Do you deploy all the way forward with everyone, the way his keyword lets him?  Do you take out of theme models?  What has worked or not worked for you?

I like basse himself, especially on boards where there are those big, GW style forests out there to move people around in.  I'm unsure of his ability to get schemes done, and am going to try to order a second watcher so that I can just pay the tax for double watchers for him I think to actually get out there and run schemes.

I'm really enjoying the traps as speed bumps (I shut down a tt archer for several turns with one recently, and my opponent was so disappointed.)

Honestly as a whole I don't have a good grip on him, and would love to hear your thoughts. 

He seems pretty cool. It seems good to deploy most of the way forward and immediately start fighting your opponent before they have a chance to setup, deploying your dustclouds makes it difficult for them to attack you on the first turn.

Just to confirm, the Favorable terrain ability only ignores the severe trait of his dust markers, not the concealment trait? I remember it working differently but looking at pg 37 in the rulebook it seems clear cut that they only ignore the one trait and not all the other effects of the terrain.

1 minute ago, zavros said:

He seems pretty cool. It seems good to deploy most of the way forward and immediately start fighting your opponent before they have a chance to setup, deploying your dustclouds makes it difficult for them to attack you on the first turn.

Just to confirm, the Favorable terrain ability only ignores the severe trait of his dust markers, not the concealment trait? I remember it working differently but looking at pg 37 in the rulebook it seems clear cut that they only ignore the one trait and not all the other effects of the terrain.

Thats the way I read it.

12 minutes ago, zavros said:

Just to confirm, the Favorable terrain ability only ignores the severe trait of his dust markers, not the concealment trait? 

"Favourable Terrain: This model is unaffected by Severe Terrain. While this model is in Severe Terrain or within 1" of Impassable Terrain, it has Cover."

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Mikes said:

I haven't played him yet, but other than his henchman the keyword seems ot be lacking for decent melee options. I'm wondering how entangling the opposition in traps and birds and shooting from a distance works into the approach.

Can always take a Peacekeeper or the Emissary for 10^^

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tris said:

Can always take a Peacekeeper or the Emissary for 10^^

7 hours ago, Mikes said:

I haven't played him yet, but other than his henchman the keyword seems ot be lacking for decent melee options. I'm wondering how entangling the opposition in traps and birds and shooting from a distance works into the approach.

Basse himself almost always ends up fighting up close too in my experience.  

The peacekeeper would like stoic nod.  I think I like the idea of pale rider in basse lists.  But honestly, I like the rider with most masters.

• Like 1

That box of 50mm acrylic disks from the ‘roleplaying games minis’ section of the store has been my most useful Malifaux purchase in ages. They are much flatter than the bases I have been using for blast markers, no difficulty standing models upon them. There is some psychological effect in building up fancy bases you don’t want stood upon (i.e. shadow markers) and leaving flat the ones you do (i.e. that dust cloud you just turned hazardous).

1 hour ago, Gnomezilla said:

That box of 50mm acrylic disks from the ‘roleplaying games minis’ section of the store has been my most useful Malifaux purchase in ages. They are much flatter than the bases I have been using for blast markers, no difficulty standing models upon them. There is some psychological effect in building up fancy bases you don’t want stood upon (i.e. shadow markers) and leaving flat the ones you do (i.e. that dust cloud you just turned hazardous).

There are cheap sprues of similar on Amazon.

9 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Not to firm with M3E, so maybe not an expert question, but:

Can Basse hire Paul Crocket because of his "Frontier" Keyword? I guess not, because Paul is an Arcanist?

Thank you!

Your crew can hire any models that match the keyword of its Leader.

Assuming Basse is your Leader, yes you can hire Paul Crockett since they share the same keyword. See "Hire Crew" in the rulebook, page 43 in the pdf.

This os the list i wanna try first:

Soul Stone Cache: 4
[Masters]
 - Cornelius Basse, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Jonathan Reichart
[Enforcers]
 - Bernadette Basse
 - Pale Rider
[Minions]
 - Austringer
 - Pathfinder
   + No Prisoners
 - Frontiersman
 - Frontiersman

What do you think?

57 minutes ago, belorey said:

This os the list i wanna try first:

Soul Stone Cache: 4
[Masters]
 - Cornelius Basse, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Jonathan Reichart
[Enforcers]
 - Bernadette Basse
 - Pale Rider
[Minions]
 - Austringer
 - Pathfinder
   + No Prisoners
 - Frontiersman
 - Frontiersman

What do you think?

That's what I think my base basse list would look like.

• Haha 1

Had a game today with 

Basse + LLC

Bernadette

Jonathan + LLC

Pale Rider

Pathfinder

Austringer

Effigy + Personal Upgrade

Turf War with Wedge

I took Outflank and Claim Jump on the Austringer

Against Shenlong, who had Assassinate and Claim Jump on a Samurai

I managed to deny the first point for his Claimby engaging the Samurai with Pale, and killing him next turn

Shenlong minced the rider though in 2 attacks, still worth it.

The rest of my crew scored Outflank, no points for CJ as the Austringer was afraid of Shen

He did not get a single Assassinate

Game ended 5:2 for me, scored 3 Turfs to his 2.

It`s sure nice to be able to actually deploy at the turf markers first turn with this crew^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trikk said:

All I did was swap LLC to Rider. I think going too far up the board might be a trap.

Against Shen I thought that the Pale was Dead anyway as Fermented Style makes Short wirk of him and his htw, plus I wanted to keep him farther away than John.

But yeah, it's always a though call with the Coats^^

• Like 1

We all know that guys at Wyrd loves to use real historical people to craft their Malifaux characters and I was wondering who Cornelius Basse might be. Who is the source of inspiration?

So my wife (adorable creature) helped me in the search and she stumbled upon this guy: Bass Reeves, the first black US Marshall in history
Seems to me that the guy here shares a few traits with our beloved Cornelius. Black skin, moustache, wide-brimmed hat, being a "man of law".
What do you guys think? Did we find our man?  I'd love to hear a word from Wyrd developers, just out of curiosity :)

• Like 5

On 7/7/2019 at 3:07 AM, trikk said:

All I did was swap LLC to Rider. I think going too far up the board might be a trap.

I just played my first game against Basse. Flank deployment. My opponent started 8in outside his deployment zone, walked up to shoot me, and made a line of dust markers. I chucked a metal gamin foward and railwalked 12in. Suddenly Mei Feng was in the middle of his crew blasting onto everyone at the end of turn 1

• Haha 1

On 7/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, Mycellanious said:

I just played my first game against Basse. Flank deployment. My opponent started 8in outside his deployment zone, walked up to shoot me, and made a line of dust markers. I chucked a metal gamin foward and railwalked 12in. Suddenly Mei Feng was in the middle of his crew blasting onto everyone at the end of turn 1

Mei is going to be a horrible matchup for frontier in general I think.