psychogeek

So I have never been a “beta tester” as I am not good helping balance a game. This leads me to avoid paying attention to games and changes until the release aka M3E. But now I need help!

what are some good combinations in a parker list? Any models that particularly fit better than others? 

What about Benny wolcomb? Where do you use him vs others? 

Is there any good Mele or tank options? Looking at barbaros now that he is outcast versatile. 

Any “trap” models in theme that don’t really fit?

I think Benny might be your trap.  I dont think he synergizes well as a bandit, especially not enough to justify 8 stones.

Convict Gunslingers look great. Run and gun is great.  They can shoot in melee.  And they get an innate plus flip on their gun.

Still toying around myself, so not too much else to offer.

Mad Dog is a must into pretty much every Parker crew. 

The key word seems in quite an interesting place at the moment as unlike a few other masters I'm still seeing lots of different crew builds for him.

My core crew has quickly become. 

Parker

Doc

Mad Dog

2 Prospectors

Malifaux child

After that I swap in Gunslingers, Sue, Wokou Raiders, Smugglers or Bandidos depending on what I'm facing and what the strats/schemes are.

2 hours ago, stonecrowe said:

Interesting, I hadn't considered Malifaux Child for Bandit. What are you doing with him mostly, second bandit raid? 

Yeah he is an additional source of scheme marker dropping and bandit raid. Normally on mad dog. He essentially gives him an additional 3 ap a turn.

I'm going to build one with 2 little pistols and a cowboy hat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

I like Benny with Parker
step 1 hire Benny and give Parker and Mad dog upgrade wanted criminal
step 2 make few scheme markers for Benny, so he can summon rats and wozy rat one into enemy scheme marker
step 3 draw 3  cards from Benny bonus action.

step 4 profit

• Haha 1

I recently tried a Woukou Raider with Parker and I must say I'm VERY happy with it.

I was facing Tara and her summons, I've sent the Raider to take possession of a Corrupted Idol spawned literally on the other side of the map.
The Raider survived 4 turns, all alone, killing a Void hunter and 2 Void wretches, and keeping Tara and a Student of Conflict busy in the final turns, keeping them away from the center table (where Parker recovered 2 corrupted idols and discarded all enemy markers for the "Search the ruins" scheme).

Long story short, I won the game and from now on I think I will always have at least 1 Raider in my list, and Sue can go to hell 😛

• Haha 1

I can second the Woukou raiders. Two might be too many in most cases, but one is quite nice.  I'm a big fan of combat finesse and they attack nicely.  Mad dog is strong, but I hate relying on henchmen as for me they get singled out hard.  Bandidos are great minions, Convict gunslingers are pretty nuts. I think Sue is a bit less special than he was in M2E but still Sue.  Dead outlaws have seemed pretty lackluster compared to other bandit models of late.  Versatile, I think Effigy/Emmisary is good. I haven't used barbaros yet, but again its hard to step out of bandit because of the synergies.   No idea on benny. I don't hang with the vermin. 

Just now, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

I think Effigy/Emmisary is good

Emissary is not good. It's freaking HUGE.

You put him right behind Mad Dog, and you give him out a Vitality Potion: Mad Dog he will survive for ages.
Each turn, you can push Mad Dog 3 inches AND giving him a Scheme Marker that he can discard to gain Fast. Potentially, Mad Dog can spend the whole game having 3 actions for each activation.
I've tried this strategy (during the same game I described earlier) and Mad Dog arrived Turn 5 without a single wound on him and dispatching single-handedly both Talos and the Nothing Beast, and wounding seriously Aionus, forcing my enemy to bury him to avoid losing him.

It's very expansive, no doubt, but I can't imagine Mad Dog doing all that without the Emissary.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liched said:

Has anyone tried the bayou smugglers with Parker?

I really don't see what they could bring to the crew :\

7 hours ago, JellyRoll said:

I recently tried a Woukou Raider with Parker and I must say I'm VERY happy with it.

I was facing Tara and her summons, I've sent the Raider to take possession of a Corrupted Idol spawned literally on the other side of the map.
The Raider survived 4 turns, all alone, killing a Void hunter and 2 Void wretches, and keeping Tara and a Student of Conflict busy in the final turns, keeping them away from the center table (where Parker recovered 2 corrupted idols and discarded all enemy markers for the "Search the ruins" scheme).

Long story short, I won the game and from now on I think I will always have at least 1 Raider in my list, and Sue can go to hell 😛

Wokous are good, they don't need to be in pairs, but if they have a friend close by (any other model) it's when you get the best of them. The Emissary is awesome and really fits the theme, so for me is a must.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Played a game of reckoning with Parker this week against a Nekima crew. took:

Parker

Doc

Mad dog

rusty

hans

stalker

2 bandidos

Hans, rusty and mad dog make an intimidating gunline, managed to make short work of Nekima for 2 points on assassinate. stalker goes in most of my outcast crews nowadays as he makes scheme dropping trivial.

mad dog is a must for parker IMHA, there are so many scheme markers dropping that he almost always has 3 ap, and a min 3 blast shotgun with excellent triggers can take down most things (even armour).

rusty is making her way into most of my crews, worth 10 stones out of keyword. her execute trigger is aces after you have filleted the opponents hand with stick up, highway robbery and at gunpoint. 

highway robbery is my go-to attack for parker early in the turn, even got a soulstone out of nekima in this game. the card advantage is what I want from it either cycling a bad hand or replenishing. damage is a secondary concern as I've other shooters in the crew for that.

I find it easy to forget 'draw their attention', but it can be key to setting up life of crime for Mad dog or getting that last scheme marker for search, detonate etc. with no range restriction on the ability you'll be surprised where scheme markers can be dropped.

only thing i might have changed would have been Hans. he seems like a min 2 gun with built in crit strike thanks to reference the field guide, but i rarely had a card free to discard for the ability. he seems like he needs at least 2 focus on him to make the most of a shot (one for the range increase, one for the positive flips) so he seems resource intensive.

ended with a win to me, 7- 2, but was closer than the score suggests.

Yeah, Sue > Hans.  also Conflict Gunslingers for the same price... if you can spare the points after Sue.

Honestly, the Midnight Stalker should be in every crew!  Doesn't he fit everywhere?  He's been MVP in Mercenary, Bandit, Infamous, & runner up MVP in Freikorps.

20 hours ago, ShinChan said:

For 8ss, I would go with Sue instead of Hans at any time. You can easily go to minimum 4, similar thread range and more or less the same utility. In addition, he can easily tank a beater for a turn (while giving him Burning +3/+4)

Yeah, wanted to like hans in reckoning, but I think your right about sue being the better option in general. Hans will be better as a tech pick against terrifying and concealment. 

I have put down the woku raiders a lot but I recently saw the light! Played a scenario that was almost 100% scheme marker based an just one Raider not only proved a decent roadblock but she shutdown their schemes hard by eating, moving, and otherwise disrupting there scheme markers 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, psychogeek said:

I have put down the woku raiders a lot but I recently saw the light! Played a scenario that was almost 100% scheme marker based an just one Raider not only proved a decent roadblock but she shutdown their schemes hard by eating, moving, and otherwise disrupting there scheme markers 

Yeah, and they can make it really difficult for some models to do much with their finesse. Against a straight melee model they can tank very effectively since you can't cheat against them. 

• Agree 1

So this is the “all comers” core I am thinking about:

Parker - master

doc Mitchell -totem

mad dog - his damage is incredible and if the opponent fails to spread out he will destroy their crew. His blown apart is incredibly valuable in certain situations 

bandido - a solid core minion. Flexible with decent damage. I sometimes take 2

Sue - a main damage dealer with built in crit strike and can help zone and draw cards.

thie is 22 points for a core and I am gonna be experimenting with certain other models for possible adds either as a core or for certain needs:

Barbaros - a versatile pseudo tank with some movement control. Haven’t tried yet so still need to experiment 

hans: tech piece against concealment, cover, and terrifying, also good for hitting models like Zoraida with conditions to minimize their effectiveness 

woku raiders: too expensive to take more than 1 but in a pool with mostly scheme markers or vs scheme marker crews she can be incredible. Also a good roadblock vs pure Mele models 

dead outlaws: I can see their use especially taking one vs taking a second bandido. Not sure what specific role they fill other than a slightly more damage focused vs a bandido 

midnight stalker - a crutch model as he fit anywhere as either a scheme runner or a runner hunter. I like taking him but he is used so often it bugs me lol my go to for breakthrough and search ruins 

Hodgepodge emissary - a great model for added mobility and utility.. but I struggle to get the greatest use out of his upgrades in this crew other than regen on mad dog. Since this crew spreads out more I find him less useful than elsewhere.

prospectors - another model I have yet to try but I can see their value particularly in scheme marker heavy pools, bandits seem to have a heavy synergy with him. I will be taking 1 every game for at least 3 games to evaluate his value to me.

Pride - a model on my painting table that can lock an area down. Looks great on paper and will have to try him in my games. He looks great at stopping a major beater from being able to do much but both both nullifying the cheating potential and handing out distracted. 

Convict gunslinger - I only see myself taking this vs crews with a lot of shooting tbh.i don’t like them very much but can be useful as glass canons 

So far out of all the crews I have played in outcasts this crew is the most flexible. You want at least a 4-5 bandits to get side out of bandit raid and draw their attention but can fit pretty much anything else is. The crew doesn’t need to bubble so it can spread out and be quite Mobile.

any other suggestions, recommendations, or comments about potential choices? Anything you agree/disagree with?

• Like 1

I'm still not behind Barbaros as useful for anything other than allowing me to hire Nephilim.

What about Malifaux Child?  Extra healing near Doc Mitchell, nearly guarentees the first point of Hold Up Their Forces every time, cheap significant model.

I find Dead Outlaws seem to work best in Jack Daw; they lack the sufficient synergy with Bandits the same way Benny does.

3 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

I'm still not behind Barbaros as useful for anything other than allowing me to hire Nephilim.

What about Malifaux Child?  Extra healing near Doc Mitchell, nearly guarentees the first point of Hold Up Their Forces every time, cheap significant model.

I find Dead Outlaws seem to work best in Jack Daw; they lack the sufficient synergy with Bandits the same way Benny does.

What the outlaws add is the god pseudo obey (good especially in corrupted idols), good utility against crews like yanlo or Marcus due to upgrades, covetous cravings is another good counter to scheme markers, they have good use for only 6 stones, but they are generally betting on daw, I agree.

If I want extra healing I will take the effigy or emmisary tbh. And I hate hold up their forces..

14 hours ago, psychogeek said:

Sue - a main damage dealer with built in crit strike and can help zone and draw cards.

Convict gunslinger - I only see myself taking this vs crews with a lot of shooting tbh.i don’t like them very much but can be useful as glass canons 

any other suggestions, recommendations, or comments about potential choices? Anything you agree/disagree with?

I personally still hesitate about the use of these guys. Sue is surely a bit more durable (+1WP, +1HP, HTK against bulletproof and psychological aspect of the Quick draw) but considering their damage output, I find the gunslingers much better. Yes, their min dmg is 2 compared to Sue's 3 (with the critical strike), but apart from this, they have significant advantage in the number of their actions/attacks. Considering their Life of Crime and Onslaught trigger, they usually have no problem to bring 4+ actions a turn and it is definitely more then those two of Sues.

I find the biggest difference between these two in their bonus actions. Sue's are excellent (and probably much better) provided he stands in the middle of the action, which is imo not the best place you want to be with the run and gun crew. On the other hand, gunslinger's chain gang helps to bring him and especially Maddog with his short range closer (or even further) to the target when needed. When I played both of these guys together, I usually used chain gang almost every turn, Sue's bonuses effectively maybe once or twice a game.

Sue really misses Life of crime, imho. I usually play with the Emissary for its bonus action scheme dropping, which can provide sufficient markers to fuel Life of crime, combined with Parker's drawing their attention, for everyone who needs it.  I like to hire Sue when I expect mobile melee opponents or when I need some extra firepower or his utility action (to remove scraps and corspes), but I find myself hiring a single gunslinger more often than Sue, mainly because their AP difference. But I might be missing something important, of course.

• Agree 1