Jump to content
  • 0
Clement

Placing into base contact with a portal marker

Question

Hopefully simple, but wanted clarification.

When a model places into base contact with a marker (portal marker in this case), is there some guidance on how that model has to be placed?   Or if I was placing a squad for example, could fireteam 1 be placed entirely over the marker, so that fireteams 2 and 3 would be placed in base contact with 1 (instead of having to touch the marker).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
5 minutes ago, Clement said:

Hopefully simple, but wanted clarification.

When a model places into base contact with a marker (portal marker in this case), is there some guidance on how that model has to be placed?   Or if I was placing a squad for example, could fireteam 1 be placed entirely over the marker, so that fireteams 2 and 3 would be placed in base contact with 1 (instead of having to touch the marker).

When you place a fireteam into base contact with a marker, the only mechanical requirement is base contact.  That can be satisfied by either just touching the edge of the marker, or by overlapping (either partially or entirely) the marker.

To quote the "Base Contact" rules (page 14 of the PDF):

Quote

Base contact is when the base of a Fireteam is physically touching something else. This could mean that the base is partially inside terrain or even touching the base of another Fireteam. As long as at least some portion of a Fireteam’s base is touching something else, it is considered to be in base contact with that “something else.”

For placing into base contact with a portal marker, if your placement of one of the fireteams in the squad makes it so that you can't place some other fireteams in the squad in base contact with the portal, you go back to this part in Place:

Quote

When multiple Fireteams are placed at once, as many Fireteams as possible must be placed in the indicated position. Any Fireteams that cannot fit are then placed in base contact with one of the Fireteams that was able to fit in the indicated position, in a position determined by the Fireteams’ controller.

I don't think there's a big hue and cry over the first sentence of that quote if you cover up the portal marker with the first fireteam, since you're going to be placing in base contact with covering fireteam.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That fits.  We just got our first Cult player and figuring out all the weird nonsense he can pull with portals is making our collective brains hurt because we keep finding some new way to work them, and those ways start to feel a bit too clever at times.  We'll adapt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
49 minutes ago, Clement said:

That fits.  We just got our first Cult player and figuring out all the weird nonsense he can pull with portals is making our collective brains hurt because we keep finding some new way to work them, and those ways start to feel a bit too clever at times.  We'll adapt.

I think the three big boundaries that you're not allowed to cross are:

1.  Every fireteam in the squad has to get placed.  Even if they're the ECB (or whatever those crazy doom triangle guys are called) and they don't want to get placed.

2.  Every fireteam has to be placed into base contact with the same portal marker.

3.  The FAQ entries explaining how placing through a portal interacts with the movement generated by an order.  Because the card's wording is a bit of a mess.

There is a lot that you can do with portals.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You'll find this helpful as I go over everything.  But to answer your question about having one model cover the whole Portal Marker, unless that's the only legal way to place it no you can't do that, as you must place them in such a way that as many Fireteams as possible in the unit are touching the Portal Marker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
54 minutes ago, retnab said:

You'll find this helpful as I go over everything.  But to answer your question about having one model cover the whole Portal Marker, unless that's the only legal way to place it no you can't do that, as you must place them in such a way that as many Fireteams as possible in the unit are touching the Portal Marker.

I'd looked at that and missed the key bits to get to "as many teams as possible touch the marker".  Is that due to the timing of their placing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Clement said:

I'd looked at that and missed the key bits to get to "as many teams as possible touch the marker".  Is that due to the timing of their placing?

It's because of this bit in the Place section:

Interaction with Squads: When a Fireteam from a Squad is affected by a place effect, every Fireteam in the Squad is placed unless the effect specifically states otherwise (such as by saying “one Fireteam” or “only the targeted Fireteam”). When multiple Fireteams are placed at once, as many Fireteams as possible must be placed in the indicated position. Any Fireteams that cannot fit are then placed in base contact with one of the Fireteams that was able to fit in the indicated position, in a position determined by the Fireteams’ controller. Placed Fireteams must end the place effect in Formation, as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...