2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Caedrus

Not getting anything else Wyrd painted this month.

Paging @Caedrus Claiming 10ss (Ototo) painted

Poor fellow got one game in for a tournament this past weekend. vs. Molly. He got mobbed by Archie, Rogue Necro & a perpetually focused Rabble Riser. Took a lot to bring him down sure. But damn. Thankfully I always enjoy an excuse to use my Dark Souls inspired "blood puddle" corpse markers:P

And it does feel nice to be able to put a well painted mini on the table, if only for a few rounds. Fight the grey!

• Haha 1

Evening All,

As July winds down, I've done a little updating on the spreadsheet, and I believe that it is correct. Please make sure everything looks good to you. I have moved a few painters into the did-not-finish category, and I think it is correct as well; if I've made any errors, let me know!

I'm looking forward to what @bedjy, @Boomstick, @Chou, @Franchute, @lusciousmccabe, @muraki, @PetitDalek, @Rathnard, @Sol_Sorrowsong, @Stranglelove, @Viruk, and @wobbly_goggy come up with for July!

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 6:20 AM, PetitDalek said:

I really like your Trixie! I struggle to achieve such high contrast, very well done. And you improved on the original pose. Any pointers for painting fast?

Thanks! I don't think I'm the greatest guy to ask about painting fast - the best I can do is fastER. :P I'm endeavoring to knock my normal 7-8 hour painting time down to 4-5 hours. The biggest change I've made so far is blending technique. It takes a long time to layer into smooth blends, especially on skin - often it takes me an hour or more just to get a face right. For my gremlins I'm teaching myself to do more wet blending and "feathering" - blocking in highlights/transitions and then doing quick little blends around the borders between the colors. It doesn't look as good up close but it's a lot faster. Makes it easier to get that high contrast too. Also I'm looking at the model at arm's length every 10-15 minutes to judge contrast and smoothness. If the blend looks fine from two feet away, I stop working on it. If the contrast isn't high enough, I increase it dramatically instead of building it up a little at a time.

@Caedrus Thanks for the advice on reds! I'm going to experiment with some of the different RMS "flesh" triads, and I'll check out the Inktense line as well. For many years I've tried unsuccessfully to find an adequate replacement for the old, super-intense Citadel inks so maybe Inktense will fit the bill.

@Wintergloom You're doing great composition work with those complementary colors. Combined with the high contrast style you're using, it makes for some very striking models on the tabletop. Your paint's looking a little texturally rough on some of those models though, especially in the lighter colors. Thin your paints a bit more maybe? I think you could spend more time on gap-filling as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Franchute Thanks :) I think for Kirai and Jaakuna it was GW's Averland Sunset with a tiny dab of Mournfang brown mixed in then a Seraphim Sepia wash. For Ikiryo it was Zamesi Desert with a bit more Mournfang mixed in and an Agrax Earthshade wash

@misterfinn Thanks :) Yeah you're right paints should've been thinner although i think some of that on the Goryo and Kirai may have been caused by glue. 

• Thanks 1

Only going with these three for now.  21ss worth.  Rest are on their way but not done yet.  Base is almost there, they aren't glued yet.  I tried a few ideas on schemes, and then just liked how they were all turning out a bit different, so thought hey, I'll just roll with that then.

Ii8CObN.jpg?1mwhyarK.jpg?1

The horde to go 

h8oIasx.jpg?1

• Like 9