2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Caedrus

Quick update on my end: Flying piglets are pretty well done but for some basing and deciding if I want to green stuff them some pirate hats. Bad Juju just needs better eyes and a touch up or two on his water effects. I'm stepping up my lighting work on the Hooded Rider and pretty pleased with it so far.

Thoughts?

large.image-20190702_215858.jpg.cbb390239b45104e5ffc2a407bcd4d4c.jpglarge.JPEG_20190708_221430.jpg.1a47de23399711e0250202704f6f8e60.jpg

• Like 8

@Caedrus I'm unfortunately going to have to mulligan for June as well (my second and last mulligan).

I'm hoping to get back on the wagon with some more Urami but I''m also doing a repeat of last years 24 hour painting competition this month so I should at least be able to finish this months pledge. I consider bringing my Experimental crew to the painting competition. Last year I managed just over 50 stones finished so we'll see how this year goes.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 3:58 AM, Caedrus said:

I like painting these ones, mostly because their hats, and the red colour, remind me of the Spanish Inquisitors

Indeed it reminds me of  Catholic Cardinals because of the hat and the purple red of the robe. Great mini anyway: the golden details are perfect with the palette you used.

• Thanks 1

I attended a 24 hour painting competition over the weekend which takes care of this months goal. 😁 

large.IMG_20190722_093044.jpg.087834e9a787fabf0d23b3d8c2683609.jpg

The doctor will see you now. These are the completed ones, should be around 62 stones? If we're using M3E costs.

large.IMG_20190722_094844.jpg.5c0354227bef8f5b96bb04513b57b8e2.jpg

These upstanding members of the Guild aren't quite ready to go back on active duty yet and the Rogue Necromancy needs a few more stitches.

• Like 8

On 7/20/2019 at 6:03 AM, Caedrus said:

My quest for super-saturated reds continues, but I'm happy with how I'm progressing. The NMM is getting better, I think.

I agree!

When Mike McVey was painting all of the first-wave Khador stuff way back when Warmachine first came out, he'd highlight all of his reds up to yellow and then glaze them back down with a few thin layers of red ink. Not paint or "washes" or "shade" products - inks are far superior for deepening and intensifying color. Mike's reds were the most vibrant I've seen IRL. I don't know if this method would give you the hue you're looking for, but it might be worth a try.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@misterfinn: My current super-saturated red-regime is:

Base: ScaleColor Antares Red, up to three coats, via airbrush. The last coat is 50-50 Antares Red and Scalecolor Inktense Red

Shadow: Reaper Red Shadow into black, sometimes with a purple glaze (Vallejo Royal Purple)

Highlight: I don't use yellow. I read an article, oh, years ago, discussing the use of flesh tones (which, of course, do have some yellow in them) for highlighting red. Unless I specifically want a yellow highlight (or even pink!), flesh is my go to. I use Reaper's Rosy Flesh triad of paints.

Saturation: Multiple coats of thinned Inktense Red. I very much agree that inks are the way to go for saturation. Personally, I love the Scalecolor Inktense series, and I'd encourage everyone to give inks a try.

Then touch ups of glazes for smoothness.

Looks like we're on the same page!

@misterfinn I really like your Trixie! I struggle to achieve such high contrast, very well done. And you improved on the original pose. Any pointers for painting fast?

@Caedrus You're brave for going with so much red. Those tokens will look excellent on the table!

@Nikodemus Great job. The grey white hair is my favourite part.

@emiba Wow! That's the way to do it :D I like the colour scheme you picked for the doctor, very striking.

@Boomstick I like the blue light coming from the gamps in the armor, I'm sure it'll turn great.

As for me, I am still sloooowly, gently painting my Kin crewbox: I am working on Pere Ravage and Rami this month. It's so hot here that paint dries on my wet pallette, which doesn't help matters much, but I keep fighting on! I've also primed Merris and Sammy for August, I must say that I am looking forward to painting Merris, such a fun model. 

• Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, PetitDalek said:

Great job. The grey white hair is my favourite part.

Lately I've used dark turquoise (Vallejo Model Colour Dark Sea Blue to be exact) as a base for my cool white. I like the shadows it gives. Interestingly, his armour is Dark Sea Blue and white. His hair is Dark Sea Blue,  VGC Bluegrey and white. I'd like to think they go together nicely.

• Like 1