M3e Mei Feng Tactica

retnab

41 minutes ago, Jafar said:

Great topic, thanks for help.
Can someone create list for 50 ss? I want to get general idea behind this master. Thank you for help.

So the core of my lists is almost always something like:

Mei Feng

Forgeling

Metal Golem 10

Survivor - Magical Training 5+2

Mobile Toolkit 3+1

And then I'll take some mix of Neil, Sparks, 1-2 Rail Workers, 1-2 Metal Gamin, Mech Rider, and a Soulstone Miner depending on what I think I need more of for the strat and schemes.  If I'm taking a SS Miner I let myself take a low cache, otherwise I'll usually take 5-6 stones.  The Survivor almost always gets my Magical Training because its a backline Minion so it gets me Arcane Reservoir without being too threatened, and it absolutely loves having the Shielded to soak up the damage from its otherwise excellent ranged triggers.

10 hours ago, retnab said:

@Mycellanious

Freight Train

1) a: It's the opponent's choice since it's their effect.  They can let you move through it if you want, but since Freight Train is a "may" even then you can declare you're going to move 0.00001" and since the move is now being interrupted you can still make them take the TN.  b: Yes, as long as you declare you'd move even the tiniest sliver further than their base allows you to (most opponents will understand that moving into b2b is that, but if you want to be cautious that's what the Rule of Intent is for).

2) a: Yes.  b: No, even a move of 0" counts as a move so if you start the move b2b they will still be affected by it.

3) Like in 2b, yes exactly

Scrap Markers

1) a: Depends, if you still have LOS to it then yes but otherwise no.  b: You can RtR from that Scrap since it doesn't require LOS, but not to it unless you can land b2b with it (if it's on the board it counts as in play, not sure where your opponent's getting the idea it wouldn't from)

2) If I'm reading this right, you're asking if after someone RtR's over b2b with a Scrap and then someone stands on the rest of it, does the Foundry model still have LOS to it?  Then the answer is yes, because you could still draw the "line" of sight 0" from the Foundry model's base to the Scrap Marker without crossing over another model's base

Thanks for your responses! You've been a big help. 

1 hour ago, Jafar said:

Great topic, thanks for help.
Can someone create list for 50 ss? I want to get general idea behind this master. Thank you for help.

I've only played 5 games, but for me my core list looks like

Mei Feng + Magical Training  2ss

Forgeling   0ss

Kang   9ss

2 Metal Gamin   10ss

1 Railworker  + Magical Training 7 ss

I have also found a lot of success with Neil, like a lot of success, and I need to try out the Mech Rider and Willie more but im a little underwhelmed. The second half of my list is usually

Neil + SS Cache 10 ss

Railworker  5ss

7 ss in reserve 

IMO Kang is super important for this crew to function. He's been putting in mega work in my games, even if he discards 4 cards every time he activates. Neil as well is a monster, and the SS Cache combined with 7 ss and Hard to Wound make him extremely tanky

Hi,

it's been a time that I have played Malifaux. With 3rd, it has re-gained my interest. I have not played a game yet, only studying the cards.

How would you achieve a full "rail walk" of (or at least close to) 12" for Mei Feng as her first action in the first turn (she can be the last model activating)?

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, FisimatEnte said:

Hi,

it's been a time that I have played Malifaux. With 3rd, it has re-gained my interest. I have not played a game yet, only studying the cards.

How would you achieve a full "rail walk" of (or at least close to) 12" for Mei Feng as her first action in the first turn (she can be the last model activating)?

Thank you!

Easiest way is to have Mechanical Porkchop walk twice since he has Mv6, but you could also have a Rail Worker toss a Metal Gamin, have a Survivor shoot somebody with the right trigger, or have the Mechanical Rider put one out with her bonus action.

10 minutes ago, CD1248 said:

Easiest way is to have Mechanical Porkchop walk twice since he has Mv6, but you could also have a Rail Worker toss a Metal Gamin, have a Survivor shoot somebody with the right trigger, or have the Mechanical Rider put one out with her bonus action.

Hey CD1248,

Thank you so much.

But how can I achieve the scrap that Mei Feng needs in 1" to pull off the walk?

Can Forgeling's "Remove Impurity" target her even though she does not have a condition?

Union Steamfitter can throw a scrap but costs 7SS and 1 card to pull off...?

Thank you! :)

3 minutes ago, FisimatEnte said:

Can Forgeling's "Remove Impurity" target her even though she does not have a condition?

Yes you can target a model with this even if they don't have a condition. Although it's likely that you gain the burning condition from the Forgling's Fiery Presence from activating within 2" so it can use Remove Impurity without needing to take a walk action.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, FisimatEnte said:

The Bonus action on Mei, it requires an 8 if you don't have the right suit. 

6 minutes ago, FisimatEnte said:

Yes , it can do it 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SerZaka said:

The Bonus action on Mei, it requires an 8 if you don't have the right suit. 

Don't forget Mei can also target herself with this so you get the 1" push, declare trigger (push another 2"), then drop the scrap marker. Gives her a bit more reach and flexibility with Ride the Rails.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, FisimatEnte said:

Hey CD1248,

Thank you so much.

Union Steamfitter can throw a scrap but costs 7SS and 1 card to pull off...?

Thank you! :)

Remove Impurity works, but you need a :ramfor the trigger. Easier way is to have Forgeling end his activation near her, so he can automatically drop one with Walking Forge.

1 hour ago, Da Git said:

Don't forget Mei can also target herself with this so you get the 1" push, declare trigger (push another 2"), then drop the scrap marker. Gives her a bit more reach and flexibility with Ride the Rails.

Yep, that is the plan xD usually I just run forward with a Gamin or I shot someone with a Survivor (if I have an high Tomes in the hand)  then I activate Mei who creates a ramp and makes the jump

1 hour ago, FisimatEnte said:

Hey CD1248,

Thank you so much.

Easiest way is to hire a metal gamin as well, let it take a very short walk and focus as its 2 actions, so or is in place to drop a scrap in range for mei.

You could do it with 3 gamin, have the first drop the marker in the deployment, the second walks twice and drops a scrap and the third rail walks to that scrap then moves on to the full distance you want and drops a 3rd scrap. Then Mei has a chain of scrap to give her options during the game, and the gamin that was left in the deployment turn one can rail walks turn2 to have similar movement to most models. 

There are plenty of other ways. 

10 hours ago, FisimatEnte said:

Hi,

Thank you!

Dont forget that you often dont want to place your scrap markers 12" apart. The distance for Ride the Rails is drawn from the model, not the marker. So if you are on the far side of a marker 12" away from another marker, you actually cant Railwalk and would need to walk to the other side first. I often shoot to place markers about 10" apart

• Like 1

Something else I'll do if dig their graves or corner/flank deployment power ritual is in the pool is simply use a metal gamin to interact and then magnetise and walk into position to drop the starting scrap within 1" of some/all of your Foundry models. 

Another common start is to have your forgeling deployed within 2" of one of your constructs. If you have the 4+ :ToS-Ram: you can use the scorched remains trigger for your 1st and then walk 10" to plant your 2nd scrap. In 10 thunders I then like to move the metal golem to the 2nd scrap. Push 6 " with off the rails and place the scrap in front of him ~8 away from scrap 2" and 19" from scrap #1 this is usually close enough to have MEI walk twice then use breathe fire with vent steam trigger to protect her and the golem or, for bonus points, if she has the Masked agent upgrade she can charge into something, place the golem into base contact with it then after resolving that attack+/- any triggers have her use her bonus action to push the golem into the same model for 4 damage if they can't pass the TN14 Mv duel.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had trouble getting their Foundry bubble disrupted turn 1? E.g 1st Activation McCabe net guns the whole bubble with slow and staggered? Or a beater/tar pit thrown into it?

Did you allow yourself to get bogged down? Did you just disengage/ magnetise/off the rails your scrap generator out of there and continue plan A leaving the enemy behind? 

Or did you get stuck in and take it off before proceeding with half your force?

What did you try? Did it work?

It seems this is more likely to be done to us if it's important for us to be on the opponent's half of the table for the Strategy/pool. So I'd lean toward option a with maybe leaving 1x metal gamin or something engaging the offending model but obviously it's going to depend. I'm yet to face this but my turn 1s seems to be fairly scripted so I'm concerned the wheels would fall off my game... 

I'd say if that's a risk to have one of your Vent Steam users make sure it's put up for the mass Concealment (or have someone with Diesel Engine), but even that's not going to totally protect you.  It's part of why I always deploy in two separate groups, so if one gets wrecked they can hop over to the other side out of harm's way.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi, so I’ve been enjoying Mei a lot. But my friend has started to just play Shen long all the time and it feels like I can t do anything into him. Most of his crew has ignor dmg reduction. The archers just ignor you concealment and can punish you for having it. It just seems like if I try to walk up the board I just get hailed with ignor armour shots and then loose half my crew. Even hiding in cover dosnt do anything as most of mei’s stuff is def 5 or lower so the plus one just makes us equal, then they get plus two from chi. Is it just a counter match up or are there ways you can combat him?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhyas said:

Is it just a counter match up or are there ways you can combat him?

I believe a lot of people consider Shenlong to be overtuned. That's mostly Shenlong the master, not so much Thunder Archers though (or I haven't heard much grumbling about them specifically).

Despite this, I'd recommend Steam Arachnid Swarms with Diesel Engine to deal with those Archers. They have more wounds than their cost, which is very useful against the Monk's Irreducible, and also have Armour +1 which drains Monk resources to ignore. They will likely kill a Thunder archer in a single charge. They can move up 13" and still have an AP left (On The Move 3" + Nimble 5" + regular walk 5") which makes their charging threat range ~19", all Unimpeded. While in base contact with a model they also lower its defence by 1, which means that after chi they're at Stat 6 vs. Df 6 against a Thunder Archer (and any Monk I think).

This thing would still be gobbled up by Shenlong, but only after it has killed at least one Archer. It also loves scrap markers for healing which is great in a Mei Feng crew. Two of these things would certainly help your chances IMO, but Shenlong is still really nasty.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Rhyas said:

Hi, so I’ve been enjoying Mei a lot. But my friend has started to just play Shen long all the time and it feels like I can t do anything into him. Most of his crew has ignor dmg reduction. The archers just ignor you concealment and can punish you for having it. It just seems like if I try to walk up the board I just get hailed with ignor armour shots and then loose half my crew. Even hiding in cover dosnt do anything as most of mei’s stuff is def 5 or lower so the plus one just makes us equal, then they get plus two from chi. Is it just a counter match up or are there ways you can combat him?

TL,DR

1.Abuse Ride the Rails to get to activated models and get out before they activate 

2. Go on the offensive

3. Make them burn chi in defense.

4. Focus minions over muliple attacks to kill them

5. Dictate what style he's in. Put wounds on him to force Low River style / threaten with Scheme Markers to force Wandering River style

I've played against Shenlong 3 times and I'm developing a theory on how to play against him. Thankfully its something I think the Foundry do well. 

Against a monk crew my strategy is so go on the offensive. You need to put Shenlong on the defensive. If you let the monks build up Chi and pick their fights its going to be devasting. Instead, I want to dictate when, where, and with who the fight happens.

In general, I want to try and force the monks to spend their chi on defense. Every chi they spend on defense is one they wont have for attacking or for their triggers, and most monks aside from Shenlong only have 2-3 chi at a given time. In order to make their attacks irreducible the monks need to discard a chi token. Next, remember that monks also have low Def stats. This means that often you will be winning the initial flip (thanks to focus from Kang) which forces then to cheat first. Remember that monks needs to decide whether or not to spend chi *before* cheating, so make sure your opponent has made up his mind before you give an indication of if you are going to cheat. Feel free ti mind game it, if he uses chi dont waste the card, thats a win. If he holds his chi, press the advantage. 

I'd also suggest removing minions from his crew. If you can land a hit, they have almost no resistances, and the High River monks will often be down a wound or 2 from their bonus action. The trick is to have a high frequency of attacks as opposed to only a few strong ones. This is unfortunately not the strong suit of most of the Foundry, but you do have Mei Feng and Neil Henry at your disposal who are fantastic muli-attackers. Try to focus down one model first and watch their chi evaporate after 6+ attacks. Low River monks are high priority targets, since they have great healing and only Def 4. This means that Chi only puts them even with your models. 

Finally, be aggressive in such a way as to dictate what style Shenlong needs to be in. Kill the minions, but make sure to put wounds onto key models in his crew. Put wounds into Shen, put wounds into Yi, and threaten them. This forces Shenlong into Low River style to heal, and forces him to spend his actions *and chi* healing your damage instead of attacking your models. This allows you to continue the assault and spend your cards on offense. If Shen chooses not to swap into Low River style, look to trade pieces. Also remember that in Malifaux attacking isnt the only way to be aggressive. Place lots of scheme markers in places and threaten to score, even if you havent that scheme, and you will force Shenlong into Wandering River style to deal with your scheme and Scrap markers. I won my first game against Shenlong by bluffing Search the Ruins with the Mech Rider and a Metal Gamin. On turn 1 she walked twice and bonus actioned to place a scheme marker, then the Metal Gamin walked, magnetismed towards her, and placed a 2nd scheme marker. This forced Shenlong into Wandering River style turns 1 and 2 so the Aspiring Student could blow away my markers and prevent me "scoring" turn 2. Instead, while he blew those markers away the Mech Rider raced past to score a touch down, I mean to score breakthrough. But it meant that Shenlong couldnt beat on me for 2 turns. 

• Thanks 3

There was a long time in the beta where it felt like the squad wasn't quite tough or punchy enough (too much of the 'power/balance budget was spent on RTR) , so folks (myself included) were lobbying for RTR Charges.

I've had more table time and, as long as you manage your set-up properly, they do fine.

Related, the Rail Worker's potential five inch Pneumatic Toss is vastly more valuable than I had initially given credit for.

11 hours ago, DuBlanck said:

There was a long time in the beta where it felt like the squad wasn't quite tough or punchy enough (too much of the 'power/balance budget was spent on RTR) , so folks (myself included) were lobbying for RTR Charges.

I've had more table time and, as long as you manage your set-up properly, they do fine.

Related, the Rail Worker's potential five inch Pneumatic Toss is vastly more valuable than I had initially given credit for.

I struggle with the idea of using a rail worker to boost the efficiency of another model. 

He spends turn 1 punting the other model twice. Say it's corner turf or Idols and you really need to cover a flank. This boost your Metal golem or X model 8-10" up the board. Great! But then the poor little rail worker is stuck 4-5 inches out of your deployment zone. For him to be effective he'll usually then have to spend all of turn 2 walking up the board to then become relevant again on turn 3. 

Alternative being a metal gamin, double walks and let the golem rail walk 8" plus 30mm and then activate. Turn 2 the gamin can either railwalk and shield the golem or give him extra scrap to fuel his own Shield or he can magnetise to the golem then use his 2 ap from a position 12" up the chosen flank. 

I just like using railwalk to distribute my crew much better than using rail workers' punting skills. 

I can see how using one to boost an OOK Model might be ok. But you're still left with the same problem of a stranded rail worker. 

Unless you just punt once (or 2 models once each) and then leave him next to a scrap to railwalk from... It's not as much acceleration as punt + charge punt. But let you do something else with the worker sooner....

Does anyone have a good combo or scenario/deployment setup for the little ol rail workers?