Second Masters

ExperimentAlpha

I want to hear people's thoughts on the topic - particularly, how it pertains to the Arcanists faction. What have you used that works? What have you used that doesn't? Are there any combos in other factions that we seem to be having trouble with that taking a second master might fix - or is it really just the 'fluffy/timmy' option that isn't viable in a competitive standing?

About the only time I have used a second master in Arcanists is with Sandeep. I have played a number of games with Sandeep & Kaeris and it was a good time. 

I think I also played one game with Mei where I ran Shenlong as a second master.....but generally I have found (in my experience) Arcanists masters need/support/use their keyword models more than some of the other factions and in most Arcansists lists I haven't needed or had the space for a second master. 

This isn't necessarily the key with out of keyword as a whole....just with masters. Ramos might be an exception to that...I could see him in a number of other lists maybe and of course as someone else mentioned a Mei Feng crew with him as the leader could be interesting too with a lot of synergy....Kaeris or Colette can be an easy add into a number of crews as well as a stand alone but generally I want keyword models with our masters. 

Colette as a second master is terrifying, she can throw friendlies forward and her Distracted spam on top of a crew that doesn't normally have to rely on it to survive makes the crew really tanky.  Ironsides seems like she should be okay too with Caught in the Ring, not sure she's worth the cost though.  Sandeep for summons with Raspy, Kaeris, or Mei could work but I haven't tried it yet.  If you're playing DMH Ramos then hiring in Hoff or Mei (no OOK cost!) seems like it should be good too.  Bringing in Raspy just as a nuker/harasser in theory should be good too, since she can make her own ice pillars.

On 7/1/2019 at 4:53 AM, azgadil said:

SanDeep + MeiFeng is excellent.  

SanDeep w/8SS

Banasuva

KardDraw Kandara

Oxfordian Mage with Magical Training

Metal Golem

I do not suggest playing the inverse where MeiFeng is master and SanDeep is the second hire  

Is it worth taking 2 metal gamin over the golem and summon the 3rd needed for our powers combine for activation control 

18 hours ago, dannydb said:

Is it worth taking 2 metal gamin over the golem and summon the 3rd needed for our powers combine for activation control 

I think that's inefficient.  If you do this you aren't meaningfully increasing the value of your crew using the turn one summon, and are spending tempo in the match to do so.  It's also risky against Guild or Ressers (exorcist crossbows).  It also means you can't get a Wind Gamin down turn one, which hobbles your movement, and means you're into turn three before your objective running capability can interact.  Especially important as a build with Mei in it will rely more heavily on summoning to do objective running.

I've played a bit with Mei in a Sandeep crew.  A typical list from a recent Cursed Idols game below;

• Sandeep Desai (cache 5)
  • Banasuva
  • Mei Feng
  • Emberling
  • Kandara
  • Metal Golem
  • Soulstone Miner w Magical Training
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, dannydb said:

Not for metal gamin ; the reason you do it for ice/fire is that you save 2 stones per golem you create. For old M2e activation control to work the way you'd want it to, you need to out-activate your opponent by a significant margin. Take, for example, an old Ramos crew I used to run, which had ~6ish models or so, but every turn added +3 spiders to the headcount and quickly could spend the whole top of turn 3 just with Ramos summoning + spider activations, then when the opponent had spent all his cards I could activate Langston and Joss and go to town. You can't realistically do that in this edition with how pass tokens work unless you're playing a master who uses those in fun and interesting ways.

I could see Sandeep hired into a Raspy crew. Hire 1 Ice Gamin, summon 2 turn 1 and pop out a Golem, then you have a summon left over for either another Ice Gamin or a Wind/Metal depending on schemes, and Command the Elements can juice the Golem for the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, Barmution said:

Considering Banasuva doesn't even get his Mantra if Sandeep isn't the leader that would be a hard pass for me.

That's one thing that really bothers me.  If you're spending 24ss for the package, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to even use Blue's mantra.  It really means hiring Blue outside a Sandeep-led crew is just not worth it

• Agree 1

The best optimization seems to be Leader SanDeep hire Mei Feng.  

You could try SandDeep then Raspy or Kaeris.  However Raspy and Kaeris aren't as utility knife (utility-universal self sufficient jack of all trades) as Mei Feng.  At least on paper and theory craft I don't think it would work.  ... If some one gives it a go let me know.  

• Agree 1

On 7/6/2019 at 8:22 AM, retnab said:

That's one thing that really bothers me.  If you're spending 24ss for the package, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to even use Blue's mantra.  It really means hiring Blue outside a Sandeep-led crew is just not worth it

That's kinda the point I think.  They don't want 2 master lists to be the strongest things out there, so they limit them where there could be shenanigans.

15 hours ago, azgadil said:

You could try SandDeep then Raspy or Kaeris.  However Raspy and Kaeris aren't as utility knife (utility-universal self sufficient jack of all trades) as Mei Feng.  At least on paper and theory craft I don't think it would work.  ... If some one gives it a go let me know.  

I think Mei Feng would be ok-ish in Kaeris too since the Jackhammer Kick pushes people around into potentially both Pyre Markers and her own Vent Steam hazardous. Injured condition is also pretty sweet combined with Press the Advantage. Either add a Metal Gamin or an Oxfordian Mage to make getaway scrap markers and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 1:37 PM, retnab said:

Colette as a second master is terrifying, she can throw friendlies forward and her Distracted spam on top of a crew that doesn't normally have to rely on it to survive makes the crew really tanky...

I'm thinking about adding Colette and Casandra OOK into other crews to use Colettes speed and cassandras upstage... but I haven't thought bout it in detail since I'm waiting for the models to get published first...

any experiences so far?

Would one of the following crews/setups be worth any futher thoughts? Just asking sine I'm quite new to Malifaux... ;-D

1.: Toni Ironsides, Mouse,  Amina Naidu (9§), Gunsmith (8§), Colette du Bois (16§), Coryphee Duett (13§) --> 46 §

2. Colette du Bois, 3x mechanical Dove, Coryphee Duett (12§), Toni Ironsides (16§), Amina Naidu (10§), Gunsmith (9§) --> 47§

The M&SU would try to claim the center of the board and bubble while Colette and the Duett each on one flank do their S&S stuff... but thats theory. 

On 7/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, azgadil said:

I'd say that for me the best 'optimized' double master would be a Ramos's crew hiring Mei Feng, her totem and some Foundry.

Imho

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ironsides hiring in Colette did me real good against Misaki last week.

Unexpected movement thanks to Presto Chango, and an assist from a Arachnid Swarm, allowed Ironsides to drag a Shadow Emissary out of position and left it on 1hp end of t1.

Even with the dreaded Masked Agent, Ototo couldn't do much once he was Staggered/Stunned/Distracted and engaged with Ironsides. Ended up scoring both points of Detonate Charges off him.

1 hour ago, Khyodee said:

Don't need speed when rest of crew is so fast. 

Honestly I feel like that's the biggest issue with him, the rest of the crew is going to be flying up the board and having a melee range healer who is far slower than the rest of the crew means he's going to be struggling to get where the heals need to be when you need them

• Agree 2