Revenant in M3E

ShinChan

Hi guys!

I got the alt Reva in the past Black Friday sale, so I'm trying to build some basic crew-core for Revenants in M3E, since I won't be playing the poor dead Aloysious.

I'm missing Vincent and the Corpse Candles (any good proxy for them? I don't want to buy a new box of Reva...), but so far I have the following:

• 3 Shieldbearer
  • 2 Draugr
  • Sloth
  • Mortimer
  • Asura
  • 2 Gravedigger
  • 3 Lampad
  • Restless Spirit
  • Carrion Effigy

Probably I'll get the Carrion Emissary and the Dead Rider soon :)

4 hours ago, ShinChan said:

I'm missing Vincent and the Corpse Candles (any good proxy for them?

Vincent is any random fantasy figure in leather armor and a crossbow. Just make sure it looks cool.

Corpse candles, I've seen people use the ghosts from Goryo as a good representation*. Have a body or a gravestone on the base and you're not far off.

* Given the complaints about putting them on the Goryo, I can understand leaving them off.

Assuming that you plan to buy the 3E card pack, try and pick up a discounted 2E Carrion Emissary if you can. The 3E version comes with the Effigy.

If you plan to use Asura Roten, make sure you get the Mindless Zombies! And if you haven't already based her with the two zombies in her box, you can just use them as your Corpse Candles.

1 hour ago, stonecrowe said:

I have been working on a list featuring Anna Lovelace and Asura Roten. Anna's remote detonate ability works well with corpse candles and you can use the mz from Asura as backup. 

Sadly, the small zombies are already glued and painted :)

3 hours ago, Figgyfigs said:

Assuming that you plan to buy the 3E card pack, try and pick up a discounted 2E Carrion Emissary if you can. The 3E version comes with the Effigy.

If you plan to use Asura Roten, make sure you get the Mindless Zombies! And if you haven't already based her with the two zombies in her box, you can just use them as your Corpse Candles.

I think that separate miniatures could be ordered, but I'm not 100% sure about it (miniatures that now come in a box with more, and before they came alone).

One list I'm looking forward to try:

Resurrectionist, 50 SS
Soul Stone Cache: 7

[Masters]
 - Reva Cortinas, Leader
[Enforcers]
 - Restless Spirit
[Minions]
 - Corpse Candle
 - Corpse Candle
 - Lampad
 - Shieldbearer
 - Bone Pile
   + Grave Spirit's Touch
 - Draugr
   + Killer Instinct
 - Gravedigger
   + Killer Instinct

The Gravedigger is there to help with the corpse generation. I think is a must, specially against crews that don't drop any markers. He also helps with the generation of Pyre markers due to the Cremation ability of Draugr. Worst case scenario, when he doesn't do anything relevant in the game, he will make me recover 5ss and has a decent heal.

Bone Pile is there in order to face conditions.

The Lampad is easy to keep alive (I was even thinking about) giving him the upgrade Grave Spirit's Touch to make him even more resilient.

The Draugr is going to be the main hitter (with Reva, ofc). I was thinking about switching the Killing Instinct for The Whisper, but he doesn't really need to look to the top 3 cards when he can easily have a :+flip. Being ruthless helps him more to be the beater that he's supposed to be. His typical activation would be: Charge someone that he can kill (touching as many pyre markers as possible to get the :+flip, attack again to make sure he kills someone and get a SS from the corpse. At the end of the turn he'll get the free 4" push and next turn, repeat again.

The shieldbearer is there to protect Reva, even tho she has 7ss for herself, so should be fine.

The list, of course, would change depending on the opponent and the strategies, but I guess is a good place to start. Let me know what you think.

9 minutes ago, ShinChan said:

I think that separate miniatures could be ordered, but I'm not 100% sure about it (miniatures that now come in a box with more, and before they came alone).

Wyrd are allowing special orders of boxes that contained old and new models for only the new models, but I don't think that will apply for old models that are just re-packaged with other old models. There will probably be a while whilst there is still stock of lone emissary models out there, but wyrd won't sell anymore alone I don't think.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Adran said:

Wyrd are allowing special orders of boxes that contained old and new models for only the new models, but I don't think that will apply for old models that are just re-packaged with other old models. There will probably be a while whilst there is still stock of lone emissary models out there, but wyrd won't sell anymore alone I don't think.

Ohh! So I misinterpreted it! Looking for the Emissary now :P Thanks!

14 hours ago, Figgyfigs said:

Are you Reva players finding the revised Graveyard Spirit to be of any use?

I don't have it yet, and I don't really like the model, but if it's a must-run...what do you think?

from my point he is a cheap corpse generator, but there are lots of other options for it in Reva crew
i prefer to take him with toshiro in yan lo crew

• Thanks 1

When I faced Reva it was a good way to get corpse markers onto the board. If you don't need lots of corpse markers, he is less required. The crew has varied in how much it needs the corpses over the testing, so I'm not completly sure how vital they are all the time.

If you don't have it,. then play without it, and you can judge if you are generating enough corpses without it. If you need more, you might have to buy it, but if you find you have enough, then don't buy it.

• Thanks 1

It's an useful model thanks to the easy corpse that he can provide every turn, but also because of the shielded, that will allow Reva to attack from a friendly model at 8".

Worst case scenario you can use it for scheming, due to incorporeal he can get to places easily, and for 4ss, it's worth it. Of course you can just not include him and leave some SS for something more interesting, as the other people said, it's not mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

[completely new to Malifaux, bought a few things, but looking at different crews]

What's the Reva core box like with no additions?

And following on from that, is Asura a must for Reva?

While I build a few things and get some beginner games in, I'd like to keep crews as cheap as possible, so was considering her core box and maybe a Draugr box too. I've got loads of zombies from other games (but with Asura that point is moot), and could easily put together a grave spirit.

I really like the carrion emissary model (even if a little pricey) - is this a strong pick? What about taking an effigy with a fate upgrade?

And then a rules question: the crew seems to collect burning conditions, but very few have immunity to damage from burning. Is it tough managing burning so you don't take damage? Is it inevitable?

Thanks

56 minutes ago, MrPieChee said:

[completely new to Malifaux, bought a few things, but looking at different crews]

What's the Reva core box like with no additions?

And following on from that, is Asura a must for Reva?

While I build a few things and get some beginner games in, I'd like to keep crews as cheap as possible, so was considering her core box and maybe a Draugr box too. I've got loads of zombies from other games (but with Asura that point is moot), and could easily put together a grave spirit.

I really like the carrion emissary model (even if a little pricey) - is this a strong pick? What about taking an effigy with a fate upgrade?

And then a rules question: the crew seems to collect burning conditions, but very few have immunity to damage from burning. Is it tough managing burning so you don't take damage? Is it inevitable?

Thanks

Reva's core box is solid, but not quite enough stones for a full-size game. I don't think any master comes with enough models to field a 50SS crew.

Asura is versatile, so you could pick her up more as an investment into the faction as a whole. I used her 100% of the time in 2E with Reva, but with 3rd,  you've got a few options for Corpse Marker generation. I like Zombies though because they are mobile Corpse Markers.

The Emissary model is worth getting just for its coolness. It's one of my favorite models in the whole game. I don't know how required he is in 3E, but like Asura, I ran him with Reva every game in 2E.

Some models are immune to burning, like the Lampads and the Corpse Candles. Draugr can take Burning from other models and put it on themselves to earn :+flip. Reva herself has a bonus action that can remove Burning (any amount) from a target model and those within 3" of it, and heal the target. You can't avoid Burning carte-blanche, but if you think creatively and strategically, you can manage it. Remember that Reva can attack through any Shielded model, and Revenants get Shielded when entering Pyre Markers. You could set your model on fire, let Reva attack through it, then use her bonus action to douse the flames.

If you're running Draugr with Reva, you should get the Lampads too. They work well together. Plus, they look amazing.

EDIT: One more thing -- Wyrd has uploaded all (well, most) of the cards for free, right here (scroll down to Resources), so you can proxy models first, then decide if you want to buy them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrPieChee said:

Wyrd is releasing a 'carrion fate' box in july for 40 usd which contains both the effigy and the emissary.

The model itself is strong in pretty much any crew in resser: It has a good statline, a strong ranged attack, gives mobility to the rest of your crew, and provides cover against all those nasty shooty crews.. For reva, it provides two easy ways to generate mindless zombies through either Zombify on his ranged attack or unexpected zombie, on his exhumation ability both with built-in triggers. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've played my 2nd game of Reva since we're not in beta anymore :P

It was vs Asami. Strategy was Plant Explosives. I ended up winning 6-4 

Asami's list:

[Masters]
 - Asami Tanaka, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Ama No Zako
 - Ohaguro Bettari
[Enforcers]
 - Amanjaku
[Minions]
 - Tengu
 - Jorogumo
 - Yokai
 - Yokai

My list:

Soul Stone Cache: 2
[Masters]
 - Reva Cortinas, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Sloth
[Enforcers]
 - Restless Spirit
[Minions]
 - Corpse Candle
 - Corpse Candle
 - Gravedigger
   + Killer Instinct
 - Lampad
 - Draugr
   + The Whisper
 - Shieldbearer
 - Shieldbearer

The corpse were going to be a problem, that's why I brought 2 corpse generators (even tho, I usually bring 2 anyway). The deployment didn't favoured me much (Wedge deployment).

The hero of the game was the graveddiger, that scored me 2 points of the Strategy, 1 point fro Dig their graves and 1 point for Deliver a message. He also got me 3ss and killed a Tengu (from whom he got a pack of explosives). His mobility with the Killer Instinct is really nice. He can move 5" + 2" from dropping a corpse marker with his free action + 4" at the end of the turn and still has 1 action left to interact/charge. Another 4" if the Restless Spirit is there to put another corpse marker for him.

Since I didn't have enough power to kill the models that my opponent will be summoning, I just move him on a side with the restless spirit both working to get me the points for the Strategy, and making sure I could score the second part of Dig their graves at the end of the game :) (which I couldn't in the end since the last activation of my opponent was Ama no Zako to use the :ToS-Fast: action of Asami Tanaka to remove 2 corpse markers).

The Lampad resurrected up to three times, keeping my enemy busy for 2 turns in order to kill him forever. There was a new Jorogumo on each turn for 4 turns :\ The bad thing about that, is that since they die with the flicker tokens, it was extremely complicate for me to score the first part of Dig their Graves.

Reva survived even more than I wanted too (allowing my opponent to score the second part of Dig their Graves).

The Jorogumos, OMG, it was impossible to kill them and they were killing 1 of my models on each activation, so no possibility to heal.

Sloth is horribly slow, he didn't have a great impact on the game, but at least wasted some activations trying to kill him. He got 2 sin tokens in enemy model and he died in turn 5.

3 hours ago, ShinChan said:

I've played my 2nd game of Reva since we're not in beta anymore :P

It was vs Asami. Strategy was Plant Explosives. I ended up winning 6-4 

Asami's list:

[Masters]
 - Asami Tanaka, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Ama No Zako
 - Ohaguro Bettari
[Enforcers]
 - Amanjaku
[Minions]
 - Tengu
 - Jorogumo
 - Yokai
 - Yokai

My list:

Soul Stone Cache: 2
[Masters]
 - Reva Cortinas, Leader
[Henchmen]
 - Sloth
[Enforcers]
 - Restless Spirit
[Minions]
 - Corpse Candle
 - Corpse Candle
 - Gravedigger
   + Killer Instinct
 - Lampad
 - Draugr
   + The Whisper
 - Shieldbearer
 - Shieldbearer

The corpse were going to be a problem, that's why I brought 2 corpse generators (even tho, I usually bring 2 anyway). The deployment didn't favoured me much (Wedge deployment).

The hero of the game was the graveddiger, that scored me 2 points of the Strategy, 1 point fro Dig their graves and 1 point for Deliver a message. He also got me 3ss and killed a Tengu (from whom he got a pack of explosives). His mobility with the Killer Instinct is really nice. He can move 5" + 2" from dropping a corpse marker with his free action + 4" at the end of the turn and still has 1 action left to interact/charge. Another 4" if the Restless Spirit is there to put another corpse marker for him.

Since I didn't have enough power to kill the models that my opponent will be summoning, I just move him on a side with the restless spirit both working to get me the points for the Strategy, and making sure I could score the second part of Dig their graves at the end of the game :) (which I couldn't in the end since the last activation of my opponent was Ama no Zako to use the :ToS-Fast: action of Asami Tanaka to remove 2 corpse markers).

The Lampad resurrected up to three times, keeping my enemy busy for 2 turns in order to kill him forever. There was a new Jorogumo on each turn for 4 turns 😕 The bad thing about that, is that since they die with the flicker tokens, it was extremely complicate for me to score the first part of Dig their Graves.

Reva survived even more than I wanted too (allowing my opponent to score the second part of Dig their Graves).

The Jorogumos, OMG, it was impossible to kill them and they were killing 1 of my models on each activation, so no possibility to heal.

Sloth is horribly slow, he didn't have a great impact on the game, but at least wasted some activations trying to kill him. He got 2 sin tokens in enemy model and he died in turn 5.

Good win well done. I’m surprised you didn’t bring Vincent. His crow trigger on his crossbow would have made dealing with those Jorogumos much easier. Lamp ads are card intensive but good. I’ll be running 2 in my next game to see if I have the resources to support them. 

6 minutes ago, bigbopper said:

Good win well done. I’m surprised you didn’t bring Vincent. His crow trigger on his crossbow would have made dealing with those Jorogumos much easier. Lamp ads are card intensive but good. I’ll be running 2 in my next game to see if I have the resources to support them. 

Didn't bring him instead of Sloth, mainly because I don't have the model :P I got alt-Reva in a promotion and not going to buy the box only for him (I converted some old Punk Zombies a.k.a. Rabble Risers to make the Corpse Candles and bought the box for the Shieldbearers).

To support them, turn one kill your both corpse candles with the trigger on a Draugr, and you will have 4 Pyre markers to respawn them :) 

It's going to be card intensive tho, but with health 9, even with Df 4, they require a lot of work.

• Like 1