OOK picks

Deathinabox

The other factions are doing this so I thought it's be cool to do one too. For each keyword, which models are good to take? Which aren't. This is a good discussion to have to help players who are looking to expand their crews or improve their play. I'll start

Amalgam

The Good:

Rusty Alyce: Alyce is an excellent ranged piece. She doesn't require any keyword synergies and is incredibly self sufficient.

Ashes and Dust: This model is such an amazing value. Without splitting, he'd probably be worth about 8 stones. Then add in the fact that he splits into two decent models and can even possibly reform into his normal awesome form again and he's a bargain at 9 or 10. Useful if you want a flanker to both run schemes and kill everyone he comes across.

Medium:

Marlena Webster: A versatile piece, Marlena does a little of everything. The main flaw with Marlena is that Alyce is much better, and only costs 1 more stone. However, Marlena had a couple useful OOK combos. With Jack Daw she can reduce the 1 damage he takes for Undying to 0, making him truly undying. Bandits can force scheme marker drops to trigger extra attacks for Marlena.

Scavengers: A useful toolbox, the scavengers have a lot of utility they can bring to a variety of crews. They can card cycle, scheme run, and hand out fast, among other things. 7 stones might be a bit much for them, but they can give you access to tech not found in your keyword.

The Bad:

Leveticus and Waifs: This is a hefty price tag. If you take Levi, you're going to need his Waifs. You're also going to want servant of dark powers. This comes out to a price tag of 22 stones. At this point, the question is really well aren't you just playing Levi as your leader. Pride would likely be a better choice for the same role.

Abominations: These aren't worth 4 stones, let alone 5. They are good as summons, but not much else. Don't hire these.

Desolation Engine: Seem to be in a similar boat to the abombs. They're too expensive to hire but are great to have if you pull off the summon. Without Levi in the crew, it's unlikely you'll get enough abombs to summon one of these however.

• Like 1

Bandit Keyword

The Good

Mad Dog Brackett: Thanks to run and gun and the ability to gain fast from nearby scheme markers, Mad Dog has a decent threat range and a min 3 damage spread. He has a built in trigger for anti-armour and his gun has blasts across the board. This means that he is really good at both assassinating tanky threats and also chaff crowd control. His close combat attack is very good at getting him out of combat ranges and hands out Injured +2, which is pretty vicious. Good model to bring in on reckoning games OOK for removing enemies. 

The Bad

Parker Barrows: Parker has a number of abilities that care about having other bandits nearby or enemies being close to enemy scheme markers, which will be hard to use out of keyword. I cant imagine he brings enough on his own to justify the cost of a second master.

The Ugly

Benny Wolcomb: Benny has a face that even a mother couldn't love. Boy hit every branch on the way down when he fell out of the ugly tree.  Aside from that, his rat generation really doesn't achieve much other than giving your opponent pass markers and he doesn't seem to see much play in either of his keyword crews. Avoid. 

(Sorry for changing your good, medium bad scale... I had to make a cowboy joke)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, stonecrowe said:

Bandit Keyword

The Good

Mad Dog Brackett: Thanks to run and gun and the ability to gain fast from nearby scheme markers, Mad Dog has a decent threat range and a min 3 damage spread. He has a built in trigger for anti-armour and his gun has blasts across the board. This means that he is really good at both assassinating tanky threats and also chaff crowd control. His close combat attack is very good at getting him out of combat ranges and hands out Injured +2, which is pretty vicious. Good model to bring in on reckoning games OOK for removing enemies. 

The Bad

Parker Barrows: Parker has a number of abilities that care about having other bandits nearby or enemies being close to enemy scheme markers, which will be hard to use out of keyword. I cant imagine he brings enough on his own to justify the cost of a second master.

The Ugly

Benny Wolcomb: Benny has a face that even a mother couldn't love. Boy hit every branch on the way down when he fell out of the ugly tree.  Aside from that, his rat generation really doesn't achieve much other than giving your opponent pass markers and he doesn't seem to see much play in either of his keyword crews. Avoid. 

(Sorry for changing your good, medium bad scale... I had to make a cowboy joke)

Agreed, I think Mad Dog is the only bandit model worth taking out of key word.

I'd likely put the rest of the crew down as bad OOK hires. 

I do want to try Parker as a second master for Jack as his card draw mechanic complements a Jack crew. Doubt it is worth the 16ss though.

Honestly, trying not to put Von Schill on every Minion heavy crew is hard.

Resisting putting Zipp on every every crew is more difficult.

Taelor If you need that antisummoning.

Big Jake to cheat Vendetta.

16 minutes ago, Deathinabox said:

As far as I'm aware, Big Jake doesn't dodge Vendetta. The new Jake is a different model for all intents and purposes.

Oh, you're right... it doesn't say it heals anymore!  Good catch!

I must be the only Levi player who doesnt take servant of the dark powers.

Ook models I like:

Taelor- reach 2, min 3, stat 7 what's not to like. Also pretty mobile.

Nothing beast - similar role to taelor 

Other than these I tend to play fairly within keyword. Mad dog has seen use instead of taelor/nb but once opponents shut down shooting hes not as good, same as alyce really

Also depends on what crew I am using. Parker I like fully in thene, same as von schill. Its only Levi or the viks that I sometimes take ook models

I don’t take Dark Powers on Leveticus either.

I really like Tara in my Leveticus crew, and also Void Hunters, but she brings those for a stone or less each.

The Student of Conflict is also nice to mess with scheme markers and give out fast.

Lazarus also does work on scheme markers and he is a tank. I have yet to trigger his grit.

I'm going to answer in a slightly different way, in that I'm going to list the OOK models I consider for a certain master.

For Tara I look at the Student of conflict, and the Dead Outlaw. To me she wants a reliable source of fast, and these are the most consistent ways for me to put fast on my own model, which is the safest form of fast for the unburying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, CrimsonWraith said:

I don’t take Dark Powers on Leveticus either.

I'd like to know more about the reasoning behind not taking Servant of the Dark Powers on Leveticus. The extra healing to keep Leve up (alongside the emissary) is nice and the first turn move keeping my opponent on their toes when they deploy and do their first turn of movement. If I can save the stones though, that seems good. Do you use any of the other upgrades? 

I use Soldier for Hire as i like even when levi is reduced in wounds it costing the enemy 2 actions to try and finish him (and thus also getting unmade, which if close enough can heal him up above HtK).

Basically with this upgrade going into melee you have to attack wp and hope Levi has no tomes or have 3 actions or stun him or Levi is literally unkillable.

as hes always wandering around with less wounds I am happy with this plus hodgepodge healing to keep levi going

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

I'd like to know more about the reasoning behind not taking Servant of the Dark Powers on Leveticus. The extra healing to keep Leve up (alongside the emissary) is nice and the first turn move keeping my opponent on their toes when they deploy and do their first turn of movement. If I can save the stones though, that seems good. Do you use any of the other upgrades? 

I generally run him naked, though I like the Soldier for Hire suggestion, seems interesting. My opponent usually targets the Waifs early, or just tries to stop the place. As such I have found that I don’t need to use channel all the time. Also, I can use a Scavenger to heal or Essence transfer to move the wounds if I need Leveticus to do more self damage. Or just kill something in melee, which I guess could heal 4, but 2 usually is enough.

2 hours ago, Deathinabox said:

What does Tara bring to your Levi crew? Is it just summons?

Well, it was a journey. To start with, I was including a single Hunter. They are fast, deal fairly good damage, and can mess with opponent positioning. Then I decided I could add two... which costs the same as Tara. So I added Tara instead. I still get two Hunters, though I may need to stone for suit, so they can cost +1 SS, but Tara is basically free. But I have found she is incredibly mobile, does a better job messing with opponent’s positioning, and she has been known to take down models on her own. In Plant Explosives the dual sides of combining Leveticus and Tara has been clutch. Using damage and mobility to do all the things.

So, in part, she brings summons, but that is only 2 actions(maybe 3+ if my opponent kills the Hunters 🙂 ) of her total 15, plus her psuedo leap.