Mr. Moustache aka Hulk Hogan aka Von Schill / M3E

Jafar

I think every FK model is good, but has a specialty. It's a Swiss army knife, where you bring the right tool for the job. Lazarus hasn't been mentioned here, but it's good versus control, stealth and many other protective abilities due to his grenade launcher. Plus he can often take another action via his Assimilate.

Advanced Positioning.

Symbols are placed before you place Scouts.  They have to deal with concealed, armored models literally sitting in base contact with their markers from the word jump, while all you have to do is play defense on yours with the rest of your crew. 

... and if you just happen to take some Schemes that need scheme markers in the back field, or near enemy models which are coming towards these guys anyways, well then, 2 or 3 birds.

7 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

They have to deal with concealed, armored models literally sitting in base contact with their markers from the word jump

Don't understand. 

How have the Scouts Concealment? 

The problem with them, as I've said before, is that if you deploy them in scoring places, they are gonna be dead at the end of turn 2 (if not at the end of turn 1).

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Ok, but what's the Scout's Specialty? 

Harassment, dealing with soft backline units and hurting crews that use engagement to lock down opposition. 

From personal experience that seem like anti-Somer tech. Ignoring cover undoes Lenny's bodyguard, min damage 2 is fine for Bayou Gremlin removal. Reposition trigger means they can hide out of LoS or scoot to 17" to avoid gunlines. And quick retreat means that tossed Gremlins and skeeters can't lock them down. 

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Don't understand. 

How have the Scouts Concealment? 

The problem with them, as I've said before, is that if you deploy them in scoring places, they are gonna be dead at the end of turn 2 (if not at the end of turn 1).

The Symbol markers are concealing; position Scouts behind the markers.

I have a couple friends who were Army Scouts... they said their life expectancy once combat began was 12 seconds, but their real goals happened before combat had even begin.  I'm okay losing 12-18 stones to gain 2-3 points and a dedicated amount of models not scoring on my side of the table.

16 hours ago, Zebo said:

The fact is that they're like a weird mix. Honestly, for 1ss less a Freikorpsmann is a bit better at killing thanks to "Reference the Field Guide", although they ignore terrain defense traits when shooting. 

They can be deployed at the better places, but that makes them a primary objective and, as they use to play isolated, they're quite easy to kill. You cannot count on them taking a good scoring place and holding it. Usually they would not be alive at the end of the second turn. 

I've played a lot against Bushwacker and I know it's a pain to have a model threatening, but at the end they end doing a lot less than expected. 

At least in my case. I play at least one in every list, and never feel they worth (but still keep trying). 

Really?  Between second and third editions, I've used RtFG maybe all of twice.

I mean, sure, min damage 3...if you happen to have a low ram available and don't need it for another discard effect elsewhere.

But for damage, I'd rather have Advanced Sights and Pursue over RtFG.

• Agree 1

I really only take them for specific scenarios, almost always Corner deployment, never Reckoning/Public Enemies killy type strategies, and always in groups of 2 or 3.

I.E.:  not often. 

They have a very specific use... like a Star Wrench:  you don't need it until you need it and when you do you're happy you have it.

I'm quite happy with the scouts at the minute. pursue is underestimated, particularly as it applies to all of their attack actions. i find taking one makes a good turret for the rocket launcher upgrades (firing at stat 7, ignoring concealment and FF), especially if you deploy within you threat range on the first turn and hit the focus trigger on the load up action. wont one shot anyone but can put pressure on.

i think deploying them too far forward is the trap generally, like most FK they work better with support from the crew.

its funny i don't take freikorpsmen very often over the scout, horses for courses I guess?

I don't see Freikorps being the best at symbols compared to other outcast masters.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So I love to take the trapper as he has done a ton of work killing scheme runners or just doing so good damage.

its true you Don’t deploy him super far away from you group. He is there to threaten a zone and he is good at it. I don’t always take him but due to my success with him he has become a good target for martyrs.

as for Symbols, yeah the freikorps are not as suited as other models for it. If Freikorps play into it they are playing more defensively and it’s harder vs crews that can spread out 

16 hours ago, psychogeek said:

So I love to take the trapper as he has done a ton of work killing scheme runners or just doing so good damage.

its true you Don’t deploy him super far away from you group. He is there to threaten a zone and he is good at it. I don’t always take him but due to my success with him he has become a good target for martyrs.

as for Symbols, yeah the freikorps are not as suited as other models for it. If Freikorps play into it they are playing more defensively and it’s harder vs crews that can spread out 

I played Freikorps for Symbols and I took Midnight Stalker but managed to get 3 markers with my Leaps from Rocket Boots and he only got the 4th one :)

• 2 months later...

So I pulled some nonsense with librarians in a game the other day that I figured i'd share.

Had a hand of 4 tomes 2 masks. Low cards to boot. Not great for what I wanted to do.

Had librarian attack a friekorpsmann with Ancient Words just to cheat in a low tomes and get the Surge trigger. Since the Fmann was relenting, I didn't need a high card.  Armor reduced it down to 1 dam. Used the second action to heal Fmann up to full.

In retrospect, I shoulda used the Librarian's Siphon Power ability and saved the card. The Fmann's Survivalist ability would've guaranteed a heal of at least 2 so he coulda taken a little more for the team.

Not saying this is the most efficient use of an activation but situationally it could be a useful play. For me it was just 1st turn mucking around and trying to fish for high/suited cards to prep for turn 2. The Librarian was activating mainly to "pass" and see where my opponent was going to move his models anyway.

You could even do Ancient Word 2x first turn and then heal up Fmann the next turn before you send him on his way. So long as he's within 8" for Healing Energy, he can still move and concentrate turn 1. This is of course counting on not getting any higher than min dam on the Ancient Word which is safe but not certain  with 2 neg flips.  An Assault Shield on Fmann could help mitigate that risk, but now you're burning an action (or Quick Reflexes trigger) to equip and the equipment itself for this horseplay so not sure if it's worth it.

Anywho, just thought I'd share. Like i said, situational perhaps. But a way to get some extra cards in hand for all those discard requirements. It's essentially a resource exchange (AP for cards) but if ya got one and need the other....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I'm getting into the Schill-ster and was wondering what the current thoughts on upgrades/first turn set-up looked like.

The list I was thinking was

Schill, Trunky, Hannah, Arik, Drachen, Librarian, Engineer, Freikorpsmann/Scout

First turn, I was thinking something like (activation order depends on hand, what's on the discard pile for engineer, deployment and enemy):

• Steam Trunk gives Freikorpsmann/Scout Rocket launcher
  • Von Schill gives
    • Drachentrooper Rocket boots (preferably with trigger to take action)
    • Arik Rocket boots (preferably with trigger to give Hannah Shield)

Von Schill walks and bonus focuses

Drachen hopefully gets a focused shot on something

Hannah copies leap & hopefully charges

Arik leaps and hopefully charges

Engineer cycles cards, walks & focuses

Freikorpsman/Scout rockets someone

Librarian heals/walks/draws cards (through attacking probably Arik), moves someone up

Am I being too wishful thinking here?

A good player will see the Hannah/Arik alpha strike coming.

If I was committed to that, 1) I'd have the engineer go earlier to give one of them shielded + focus (and 2 card cycle to help with the cards you need) 2) have Von Schil spend his last AP also do load up with the Quick Reflexes trigger, gives Hannah and Arik another 2" push each, if you put Assault Shield on either of them and the Engineer gives them shielded your opponent has to land 4 attacks to make you discard the shield.

I'd also budget soul stones to get the triggers I want on Load Up. Possibly replacing one of the minions with a prospector to keep the supply up.

yeah, I realised that the above is basically living the dream... but gotta aim for something! At least most of the TNs are low enough that hopefully I'll flip a some of them (although I am often cursed with TNs... need a 5, flip a 4!).

So what are you guys generally doing first turn with Schill? Handing out Rocket launchers and blowing them away? Or is there not really a playbook (I'm imagining there's a few different approaches) for Schill and you just have to get reps in to realise what is needed when?

I had some pretty decent luck with A Taelor bomb using Von Schill: Scav is hired to make her fast/focused, VS pulls her 5 inches forward, Emissary walks up and pushes her, but keeps her within 3 inches, giving her a +1 for a 6Mv.  With Rush, her charge is 8in +2in reach.  Pretty solid against a Dreamer list.  or shielded/terrifying lists.

....had i had a single 10 in hand Lord Chompy Bits would have died turn 1.  But alas, the cards were not in my favor

Ya pure damage potential is higher with Hannah/Arik, but that might require more resources: that Stat7 is nice, (should) mitigate weak hands, the no SS trigger is really nice. But my main thinking is the threat range is way larger (though. Arik diving charges is arguely more flexible) so harder for opponent to ply around 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, touchdown said:

Why go with Taelor instead of Hannah (who can get to 4/6/8 or even 5/7/9 if also with Arik) and VS can make make leap? Wanting ruthless or something else?

Hannah is restricted by the number of cheatable damage flips. Taelor can cheat all 3 attacks against most models if that's what you need. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a scout be the absolute MVP in a public enemies game. Scored all 4 of my points, 2 from public enemies, 2 from vendetta. I put Soldier for Hire on him and got drew 5 cards thanks to that. I deployed it about 8" in front of my crew (in standard). He spent turns 1-4 camped in a little swamp. So return fire had to deal with concealing while he didn't.

I was facing Som'er so eventually my opponent summoned Bayou gremlins to try tie him up, but I'd just shift a tiny amount with his bonus (0" engagement not going to get the job done here). On the final turn using his bonus and the built in reposition trigger, he was able to scoot 7" away into a different swamp piece and my opponent had to walk charge him and losing those extra actions saved his life (plus hard to kill from SfH).

I suspect how good scouts are is very dependent on the board. A lot of concealing and not too much blocking and they can dominate.

• Agree 2

I think I'm general they're great. High mobile long range shooting with a pretty good stat and damage profile for a 6ss model. With Friekorps upgrades they get even better, giving stuff like friendly fire ignoring stat 7 rocket launcher attacks. 

They're really good for Vendetta, since they can score the first point pretty easy and being pretty far back and mobile they can get the second point if someone else finishes their target off. Cost 6 opens a lot of targets for Vendetta as well.