What models are a must have for a Dreamer crew?

Maniacal_cackle

I've planned on eventually picking up The Dreamer for a while, and have realised I want some of the 2E models. So I have bumped it up my priority list!

What would people say are the key models to get?

So far I'm thinking:

* M2E core box Hide and Seek

* insidious madness

* stitched together

This would give me master, totem, Coppelus and all minions.

Im going to try to snag the bear-ly together at Gen Con or whenever they are next available, instead of regular stitched. To make the crew more thematic, I'm also tempted to get Teddy. The Nightmare Teddy Bear crew just sounds awesome.

Any other suggestions? Any reason to not pick up the above? Thanks!

In keyword your missing Widow Weaver, Bandersnatch, Serena Bowman and Carver. And then any non keyword models you fancy ... Wicked dolls for example are good sheme runners.

In a game where you build your List to the mission/enemy having options is always a good thing, so get whatever you want/like ...

I have mostly been playing Dreamer, even so I've yet to use Carver or the Bandersnatch, as I do not own them. I haven't felt a need to pick them up though as the crew feels very strong using mostly the units you listed, with the additions of Serena Bowman (she is the #1 most important addition in my view, always performing well), widow weaver (harder to use but also quite handy and fun) and teddy (does what you'd expect). 

Hinamatsu, Doppleganger and the Hooded Rider all seem useful as well, though I have mostly used them with Lucius to date. 

I'd say of Dreamer's keyword options, Insidious Madness, Stitched and Serena are hard to go wrong with, favoring more stitched in say reckoning, and more Madnesses for any really schemey pools. 

I am curious to know how important Carver or the Bandersnatch are though, as I like the models a fair bit and will end up getting them eventually...

• Thanks 1

Bandersnatch synergises really well with weaver as they can use each others Web markers, making them extremely mobile. 

Carver, I find, is more for woe than nightmare. He doesn't bring a lot to nightmare that they haven't got already, and with chompy being a hench and dreamer a summoner your SS pool is already spoken for. 

Iggy is a great model to have in any crew thanks to arson, it's one of the best anti scheme abilities in the game. 

Must Haves:

Dreamer. Chompybits.

Really good idea to have :

Summons - Insidous madness Stitched together, Daydreams, Alps.

Probably want at least some of:

Coppelius, Teddy, Widow weaver, Serena, Bandersnatch, Carver.

If you have your summons available you have a good core of roles. There isn't a great "beater/tank", but summoning sort of counts as "tank".  (you do have Chompy so you're not beater free).  

Teddy and Carver are probably the next most obvious beaters, and case can be made for either one. you probably will rarely want to field both, so certainly when starting you can just pick one or the other.

.Coppelius is a strong scheme runner. He is also decent in combat so he is always likely to have a use. He is probably best at scoring you points, and denying the enemy points.

Widow weaver is another summoner, so if you get her, you will want to get a range of Puppet minions, although her summoning only stitched isn't bad if you don't have any other stuff.

Serena and Banersnatcgh are both sort of durable force multipliers, doing a similar job in a very different way (Keeping safe and attacking places away from where they are).

I would say to start with you probably want at least 20 ss worth of my probably list for options, although you can hire some of the summonable models.

Despite that, Your starting list will get you a playable force, and you can go from there to see what direction you naturally want to play the crew.

You can certainly find a use for any Neverborn models in the crew, although I'm not sure how many are worth the OOK costs, but some may well fit. There are quite a few that cause wp duels which you may want to look at, ranging from things like the changlings pulsing out lots of duels, or models like Candy or Lilitu who have actions that are vs WP if you are trying to maximise unbnuries and feed on fear.

And finally, its unlikely that Bearly there models will be on sale at Gencon. That sale is normally new stuff. You may well have to wait until Black Friday before they are for sale again.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone, this is super handy!

17 hours ago, Adran said:

And finally, its unlikely that Bearly there models will be on sale at Gencon. That sale is normally new stuff. You may well have to wait until Black Friday before they are for sale again.

So it's unlikely the models will be available until November? Is the crew viable (at a casual level) without the stitched together, or are they key to the keyword? I understand that summoner's are always heavily reliant on having access to all their minions, but how significant an impact would it have?

6 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Thanks everyone, this is super handy!

So it's unlikely the models will be available until November? Is the crew viable (at a casual level) without the stitched together, or are they key to the keyword? I understand that summoner's are always heavily reliant on having access to all their minions, but how significant an impact would it have?

If you want to wait for the alt models, and you are only playing casual games, most opponents would probably let you proxy them in. Personally I think Stitched are too good to pass up and most games I end up using 2-3 between hires and summons. In reckoning they are especially nasty 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Serena is in every one of my Dreamer crews. 

Insidious Madness is surprisingly effective on the table. Don’t be afraid to hire 1 or 2.. I’ve had excellent games with them.  Stitched seem to hog all the glory on the Internet. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fixxer said:

Serena is in every one of my Dreamer crews. 

Insidious Madness is surprisingly effective on the table. Don’t be afraid to hire 1 or 2.. I’ve had excellent games with them.  Stitched seem to hog all the glory on the Internet. 

Often I summon stitched who then enter off of insidious madness attacks on flanking schemers, tends to pay off very very well ime

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ezuma said:

Often I summon stitched who then enter off of insidious madness attacks on flanking schemers, tends to pay off very very well ime

That's a sweet strategy!

Although aren't alps the best minions to summon for attack purposes? They do a damage and get a bonus attack on unburying.

What do people think of a core list that looks like:

* dreamer and chompy

* Serena (8)

* coppelus (9)

* 2 stiched (12)

* 2 daydreams (6)

* 1 insidious madness (7)

* 8 SS cache.

I may be slightly wrong on costs. Seems like this crew can start lucid dreaming from the get go, has a few maneuverable models to get the ball rolling on wp duels, and has lots of options for summoning (especially once some models die).

Some modifications based on strats and schemes, of course!

What you want kinda depends on what else you're bringing.

I always take Serena, she might seem as a support model, but she actually hits quite hard, and the ability to draw LOS form a friendly nightmare is just awesome. I find that she works really well in a tagteam with teddy. Have Teddy move up the board with Serena a little behind. She will be able to keep Teddy alive, and also strike "through" him, and if anyone goes after Serena Teddy can move her away. Taking out Serena is also quite hard to do with df6 and demise, so together they are quite tanky (for neverborn atleast). Twist reality is also great against models engaged by Teddy as he will heal if they fail a wp duel (and you get to unbury a summon).

22 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

That's a sweet strategy!

Although aren't alps the best minions to summon for attack purposes? They do a damage and get a bonus attack on unburying.

What do people think of a core list that looks like:

* dreamer and chompy

* Serena (8)

* coppelus (9)

* 2 stiched (12)

* 2 daydreams (6)

* 1 insidious madness (7)

* 8 SS cache.

I haven't used alps much yet, as i usually have a high enough card to pop out a stitched or madness, so maybe I get greedy. That list looks pretty similar to what I tend to run, depending on strats/schemes bringing things like Teddy in for corrupted idols or reckoning as well, and more madness for plant explosives usually 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ageofegos said:

Widow Weaver is nuts in M3, she makes every Dreamer crew I make.  She can scheme, kill, push and has crazy mobility.  Definitely pick her up.

I have only used her a couple of times, so have no real feel for how good she is. Is she great with bandersnatch mostly or still great on her own? I was concerned she would just die but looking at her card, she does have a lot of tricks

2 minutes ago, Ezuma said:

I have only used her a couple of times, so have no real feel for how good she is. Is she great with bandersnatch mostly or still great on her own? I was concerned she would just die but looking at her card, she does have a lot of tricks

She's good on her own. The bandersnatch just gives her more mobility since there will be roughly double the amount of web markers. She also opens up a turn 1 into shadows with the bandersnatch on any deployment.

9 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

If I only pick up two non-minions (beyond the core box with coppelus, etc), would you say Widow Weaver + Serena is a good choice?

Widow Weaver for sure.

Serena is good and all...but she wouldn't be my second pick up if I were starting over.  Teddy or Hooded Rider should be  your second pick up.  Hooded Rider (hell all riders to be honest) are crazy good in M3.

9 hours ago, Ezuma said:

I don't use Bandersnatch with her.  By turn 3 you have 3 webs on the board and can go anywhere you like.

She is usually what I call 'a bully scheme runner', as in she can scheme crazy good with her webs....yet will not die (and will kill) most any other scheme runner.  Her webs are difficult to over value, you really need to proxy and put her on the board a few times to get an understanding how strong they are with schemes.

She also has a really great summon (It's easier for her to summon Stitched than Dreamer!).  You can turn your own Wicked Dolls into Stitched or if you're really lucky, they brought constructs for scheme running or near her to bring late game stitched in.  Or you picked up a Stuffing Token earlier in the game.  She's just good.

As far as surviving, yeah against a gunline she'll struggle (But I don't bring Dreamer against guns).  Against anything else though, between Terrifying 12, stones and the fact you can port away using your webs...she's fine.  Terrifying 12 is pretty strong in M3 with the change to Terrifying now (test per action). If you really are nervous though, you can always put Inhuman on her so they'll only get one punch...which you can stone to neg damage flip....stone to heal....then move away.

I took Dreamer/Titania to MuseCon and got 2nd overall (3-0 for the day).  Two of the three games I played were with Dreamer and each time, Widow Weaver did a ton of heavy lifting for the crew.  She's legit (She might even be a legit Master).

• Like 3