Tips for Hamelin (3E)

Vecks

I've been playing Parker almost exclusively since the beta released and I think my opponent is tired of it (even though I keep losing) and want to give Hamelin a try.

I didn't use him too much in 2E but from what little info I've read, that may be a good thing as he operates differently now.

Do you all have any good tips or tricks or just little caveat things to keep in mind when playing him? 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 7:50 AM, OhRlyeh said:

I just had a brain dump to someone on this topic in the Outcasts of Malifaux group on facebook if you want to check it out https://www.facebook.com/groups/531907140296338/

It is in the comments of the Are Winged Plagues worth taking in Hamelin? post... spoiler alert... NO!

How are they not? I really like them. Fast, cheap way to get blight onto bunched enemies early. 

I disagree, I like taking 1-2 of the winged but I get good use out of them before I send them to suicide themselves at an enemy 😛

dont try to create the m2e rat engine. It’s gone or at least highly inefficient. It’s a mid-late game crew so it will take patience and time to learn it

On 7/21/2019 at 5:46 AM, Smeagle said:

How are they not? I really like them. Fast, cheap way to get blight onto bunched enemies early. 

Sure if they get close enough to do that before dying... which they don't.  They are cheep but 4ss for a model that does nothing before being removed from the table isn't good value. At best they will get down a scheme marker, get killed by any other 4 pt scheme runner in the game and then have the marker overturned. total value 0pts. If you are buying 2 of them you are wasting 8ss that you could spend on a Stalker that will score you at least 2 points and murder something. if you are only buying 1 of them then just save those SS to use as damage reduction on Nix or Benny who have actual effect on the game.

• Agree 2

On 7/21/2019 at 1:31 PM, psychogeek said:

dont try to create the m2e rat engine. It’s gone or at least highly inefficient. It’s a mid-late game crew so it will take patience and time to learn it

All of that is correct. but The number of times WP have been more  useful than spending those stones on literally anything else = 0 😋

• Agree 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, OhRlyeh said:

Sure if they get close enough to do that before dying... which they don't.  They are cheep but 4ss for a model that does nothing before being removed from the table isn't good value. At best they will get down a scheme marker, get killed by any other 4 pt scheme runner in the game and then have the marker overturned. total value 0pts. If you are buying 2 of them you are wasting 8ss that you could spend on a Stalker that will score you at least 2 points and murder something. if you are only buying 1 of them then just save those SS to use as damage reduction on Nix or Benny who have actual effect on the game.

Totally agree with this.  The WP need some kind of buffs to help them whenever there is an errata. I know they are only 4ss models, but it would seem to me that either giving them Mv 6 or something like Stealth would make them at least a good hire.  I don't think I'll be hiring them very often.  I would rather take the Midnight Stalker at 8ss and have a good and reliable scheme runner who can also be a scheme runner hunter.

I've had a rough time getting Hamelin to function well in M3E. I take all of the blame for my lack of success using him. I just need to figure out how to best play him.  There are some good mechanics and tools to work with, the crew just seems clunky and slow to me as a whole.  I think this crew generally speaking lacks speed/movement.  With the current Strat and Scheme pool for M3E movement/speed is really important.  I find this crew just to be too slow and operate in a bubble. What are other peoples thoughts?  

I have played him about 10 games now (about 6 other games just prior to end of beta) and haven't had any success with Hamelin's crew.  I have to go outside of Keyword a lot to bring solid scheme runners. My last game with him was Turf War against Zipp and that was awful.  Zipp and his crew ran circles around me while Macha, Zipp and First Mate locked down most of my crew.

On the flip side, models from the Plague keyword that have been good for me are Nix, Benny and the Rat Catcher.  Nix can be a solid tank until you run into a crew that brings irreducible damage. Otherwise he can lock down part of the table pretty well.  Benny's ability to summon rats, gain fast from scheme marker removal as well as his Swarm them ability  (which is very good until your opponents have seen it once and know how to avoid it).  The Rat Catcher has been decent, although I wish there were more types of vermin models available to use Moldy Cheese on.  The times that I have used Moldy Cheese on WP it's just sent them faster to their death, even despite getting them into what I thought would be a "safe" place. Moldy Cheese has been useful on a rat though to set up a late turn Benny Swarm Them action.

I love the theme and fluff and will still continue to play the plague crew.  I think I just need to figure out how to play them better in M3E.

So here has been my experience so far:

the crew functions very well as a “loose bubble” meaning it can have several pieces all over the board, but it does keep its main forces together 

wretch is a tech pick into armor/shielded crews

benny is a tech pick into heavy scheme marker crews

WP pay off when you are faster than your opponent. Tbh I have never regretted bringing at least one. I won’t argue with people as many just disagree with me. Yes they are fragile but personally I expect them to die. As long as they started giving blight to something or dropped a scheme I am good.

hamelin is the toolbox core of the crew, and you need to position him in a flexible spot where you can take advantage of his abilities

this crew is incredibly mobile with lots of unconventional movement

turn three is where you start to shine. If you aren’t by that point it’s gonna be hard to win.

Ratkings are amazing.. use them.

I see you say the wretch is a tech piece for armor, ive found she's just amazing the opponent can't cheat in duels with her if they have blight. That makes her like the best source of bleeding disease. And stealth keeps her safe to do it. In my experience she's an auto include for her cost.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 7/29/2019 at 10:06 AM, yames said:

I see you say the wretch is a tech piece for armor, ive found she's just amazing the opponent can't cheat in duels with her if they have blight. That makes her like the best source of bleeding disease. And stealth keeps her safe to do it. In my experience she's an auto include for her cost.

She is definitely good. I think my problem in using her is all about positioning. I likely haven’t put her in the correct places to maximize her use

I've been thinking a bit. Do you think it might be worth it to hire a Rat King and give him the Swagger upgrade? Combining this with Hamelin's Free Action, this could be pretty strong.

Hamelin uses his Free and let's the Rat King move 3" AND take a Walk Action. King gains Focus +1 from this Walk. then you can activate the King and let him focus again or do a Walk + Charge and pretty much guarantee that 4 damage moderate.

The problem is that it does become rather expensive to do as I also like taking The Midnight Stalker and give him Hard To Kill.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, poulpox said:

if you  use Inevitable Fate, do you get two rats in the end (one with Inevitable Fate, and one through Demise, after the model is killed)? 

Yes. It is killed so the first part of the demise goes off. The second part doesn't because you weren't killed by an enemy model.