Foundry in 10 Thunders

frumpypigskin

19 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Faction restriction only applies when hiring (beta rulebook page 6).

Is there something that grants upgrades mid game then?  I'm not hugely familiar with foundry but was having a look and couldn't spot anything.

EDIT: Ah, found it on Sparks.

9 hours ago, frumpypigskin said:

What do you usually use to charge in First? The golem going late in the turn seems logical, then activate him early next turn to vent steam and go off the rails to the most inconvenient location possible for the opponent. Then there's scrap right up there.

Is that how you use MEI or do you try and have her charge from scrap further out?

I do like how MEI seems to have a deeper selection of mobile non-armor beaters.

Honestly it's usually Mei or the Golem who's charging in first, with Neil as a secondary beater who forces the opponent to divide their attention or risk getting hammered to death.  Normally what I do is split my deployment into two groups with at least one Walking Forge each and try to make a square of Scrap Markers so I can hop forward or side to side as needed later on.  If I have a 4+:ToS-Ram: in my hand then I have the Forgeling drop a Scrap Marker in my DZ for people to hop off of, otherwise usually I'll have a Metal Gamin give Shielded to whoever is hopping forward first and sit put to drop that starting Scrap Marker, and then my other Walking Forge models and/or Mei will walk forward to create the second line of them.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Other than Walking Forge, do you find Metal Gamin to be worth it in any way? 

I'd always take the Mecha-pig for +2ss and wish I could take multiple. 

I tended in the beta to take the 3 rail workers you get with mei and replaced 2 with gamin for markers and something that helps the crew last longer.

I'm excited that Minako is versatile. I realy think she'll open up more options for MEI's crew to scheme or even attack beyond her scrap markers. They can even be a way to move a scrap 10"+ into the opponent's crew on the turn they are summoned by popping them (Charge attack with flicker, place attack with flicker).

Or if you don't need the scrap put bombs in its belly first to pick off a key model with 3hp left. The place should help to ensure you don't explode onto allies.

The threat of summoning a wanyudo if you attack Minako is gravy. Otherwise she seems a bit fragile.

She'll be one of the least susceptible to obey effects on the crew with her katashiro being very prone to just popping so beware of using bombs on them vs any obey tricks!

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't tried Mei out too much since 3e  (only a game or two)-- and I haven't yet done one of my old favorite tricks, which is hiring an Obsidian Oni to just lob scrap markers at potential targets and then rail walk in on that.

At 8ss for out-of-keyword hire, it's a little pricey, but I think it'll still be worth it.  Combine that with Minako Rei being versatile and summoning Katashiro, or bringing Asami along for the ride to to summon other Oni, it could be a pretty fun game, no?

12 minutes ago, Drowsheep said:

Haven't tried Mei out too much since 3e  (only a game or two)-- and I haven't yet done one of my old favorite tricks, which is hiring an Obsidian Oni to just lob scrap markers at potential targets and then rail walk in on that.

At 8ss for out-of-keyword hire, it's a little pricey, but I think it'll still be worth it.  Combine that with Minako Rei being versatile and summoning Katashiro, or bringing Asami along for the ride to to summon other Oni, it could be a pretty fun game, no?

McCabe is a pretty good secondary master too with Mei! the 2 of them really love their scrap markers and Luna (McCabe totem) can drop 1 per turn! Also you can get pretty good card draw with his crew!

On 7/15/2019 at 12:55 PM, Cursed25 said:

McCabe is a pretty good secondary master too with Mei! the 2 of them really love their scrap markers and Luna (McCabe totem) can drop 1 per turn! Also you can get pretty good card draw with his crew!

It's also nice that the master riding the train and the master riding a horse work well together ;)

That definitely is a cool synergy thing I hadn't thought of.  With both Luna and Forgeling, you get two free scrap in addition to whatever else you brought along.  The more scrap the better-- especially now that Ramos is dead ;) 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:42 PM, Drowsheep said:

I haven't tried it yet, but in keyword you have Survivors with a trigger to drop a scrap from 14" away. Seems far better at 5ss then an Obi Oni at 8.

• Like 1

The other thing to be aware of with obsidion Oni is dont take them into crews that like obey. You will find that flicker is easily used against you and possibly killing your oni in the process. 

One thing I've done a few times to help with the metal golems poor charge distance is use the upgrade Masked agent on Mei to use "with me" this also brings it with her for freight train, since a flat 4 damage is hard to ignore. 

I've also found that Sparks almost requires trained Ninja. His auras are so good and his healing is great that people rightfully target him. Since he's not a construct he's a little hard for her keyword to heal. A metal gamin with silent protector nearby also helps give him some survivability.

• Like 1

What do people think about the Obsidian Statue as a versatile hire for Mei?

It drops scrap whenever damaged by an enemy, and boosts Burning for the entire table which could help the Railworkers with their trigger.

Plus, the 3" hazardous (Burning +1) aura seems like a nice addition to all the other hazardous auras available to the crew.

7 minutes ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

What do people think about the Obsidian Statue as a versatile hire for Mei?

It drops scrap whenever damaged by an enemy, and boosts Burning for the entire table which could help the Railworkers with their trigger.

Plus, the 3" hazardous (Burning +1) aura seems like a nice addition to all the other hazardous auras available to the crew.

It seems like, with DF 3, it will be spending more scrap than it creates to try and survive. Anyone who is at all familiar with Foundry should bring anti armour along and the statue will melt. I think I would always be wishing I had the metal golem instead... "As well as" is probably a hard sell. Their hazard aura hurts friendlies which is a bit of a nombo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frumpypigskin said:

It seems like, with DF 3, it will be spending more scrap than it creates to try and survive. Anyone who is at all familiar with Foundry should bring anti armour along and the statue will melt. I think I would always be wishing I had the metal golem instead... "As well as" is probably a hard sell. Their hazard aura hurts friendlies which is a bit of a nombo.

Maybe I'll run it AS the Metal Golem, if my opponent(s) permit.

Just don't like the Metal Golem model very much, to be honest. Which is rare for me with Malifaux.

(EDIT: After trying it as the Obsidian Statue. You're probably correct, but I think I'll give it a few goes first anyway :) )

Finally got to try Minako (and her summons) out. Playing Idols, flank, vandetta, hold up, claim jump, harness, power ritual. into Ressers, Reva. 

Was a very fun game. My opponent ran a fairly effective denied flank which (due to too many pass tokens and a bit of bad luck and management on my part) made my shadows deployed Samurai into a fairly ineffective paperweight on the inactive flank. 

Very happy with Minako and the Katashiro. 

Minako felt squishy with only 4 ss. I'd recommend more. I was lucky enough to have high tomes for 3/5 turns and the first turn I stoned for it. 

The katashiro's place really helps to get where the rails haven't gone yet. If they die then, the scrap is now there. If they live they can interact twice. Gotta remember they are made of paper after all. One combo I realised is that if you've taken masked agent on one of your beaters then charge and place the Katashiro it gets to attack without needing the trigger on the upgrade. Could also toss Katashiro wth rail workers but they are probably still better beaters most of the time.

It felt great to get a wanyudo out full health. It felt less great when it died straight after it activated before I could reveal hold up their forces (probably should have just gone for harness the leyline). Also not a great model to have versus Reva.  But it's still a good swing in crew value.

Next I'm going to add in Sparks if I can and make some katashiro blow up in convenient locations for me.

What's everyone's experience with survivors?

I personally find it hard to fit more then one in the crew usually and while there just as survivable as a rail worker they seem to draw more heat. Since the rest of the crew is melee it also struggles to deal with friendly fire. ( Other then focus of course)

• 2 months later...

So I just tried MEI into reckoning. I was up against Jack Daw... 

Standard Reckoning

Harness

Dig

Hold up

Deliver

Assassinate

I was worried about Foundry models low move and WP being a liability and wanted to be able to attack the softest parts of what is a very tough crew so I went with....

Rek Mei 1 (Ten Thunders)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Mei Feng
    Masked Agent
Totem(s):
  Forgeling
Hires:
  Metal Golem
  Yasunori
  Sun Quiang
  Shadow Emissary
  Metal Gamin
 Into...

here's Jack (Resurrectionist)
Size: 50 - Pool: 7
Leader:
  Jack Daw
Totem(s):
  Lady Ligeia
Hires:
  Montresor
  Crooked Man
    Killer Instinct
  Hanged
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Hanged 2
    Grave Spirit's Touch
  Guilty

Learning points;

As fun as diving MEI with a steam vented golem into their crew turn 1 is, killing the crooked man was important to my strategy but maybe it should have been left until I could score from it?

As good as refiling my whole hand using the Dragon after pitching it all cheating near Leiga... Maybe I should have just killed Leiga first turn 1 and then been able to save more cards for execution triggers ...

Monteressor is tough. DF 6 is no joke. I was slightly unlucky but the was the difference between a 4-3 defeat and a 5-4 win when time was up... Still probably would have gone on to lose for 5 turns and I was losing models and killing potential faster than him.

I found it hard to make sun relevant. Him wiffing on his heal twice to stop me saving the dragon didn't help.

I still really like dig with Foundry. Even if the first point is hard to get once it's obvious what your little metal gamin is still doing in your deployment zone turn 2.

Yas was a mixed bag here, pushing models around in vent steam (or Sparks aura) would be awesome if nearly his whole crew didn't ignore it...

I don't think going wide with more small models would have helped... 

If I had the models maybe more ranged attacks would have been ok? Fuhatsu at least... But I don't own him. Or lone swordsman. 

Thoughts folk? I remain unconvinced on taking Mei into Reckoning. Granted this was a bad matchup for her for this Strat.

6 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

Yasunori against Daw is usually not worth it because Jack is always ditching cards. Dawn Serpent might actually be better as it's self heal works much better in Reckoning.

I've found Yasunori in general is not worth is cost! He is a glorified scheme runner/hunter! He need a big rework to be worth 10ss in my opinion!

• Agree 1

Against Arcanists, with their always having Arcane Reservoir, he's a dream!  The key is to go early and hard when they have a full hand, then don't cheat force them to cheat when they attack him; hard to wound plus up to 3 points reduction after the damage flip is great!

9 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

Against Arcanists, with their always having Arcane Reservoir, he's a dream!  The key is to go early and hard when they have a full hand, then don't cheat force them to cheat when they attack him; hard to wound plus up to 3 points reduction after the damage flip is great!

his defense is okayish it's more his bonus action which I found garbage! you have to loose health to give yourself AND enemy cards (this can be really bad for you!)

For him to be worth 10ss, Chasing Advantage should give :mask with your hand not the opposing player's (more control) and Revel in Chaos should only give cards to you or it should not cost health to do it! His dmg track is on the low side for a beater (really wish it was min 3) but with an almost always onslaught trigger and a good 6:+flip stats it's not that bad! If they don't want to change him he needs to be 8-9ss to be worth it because when you take a big 10ss models he has to be really strong and beneficial to only you! (I really hate Revel in Chaos)

15 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

his defense is okayish it's more his bonus action which I found garbage! you have to loose health to give yourself AND enemy cards (this can be really bad for you!)

For him to be worth 10ss, Chasing Advantage should give :mask with your hand not the opposing player's (more control) and Revel in Chaos should only give cards to you or it should not cost health to do it! His dmg track is on the low side for a beater (really wish it was min 3) but with an almost always onslaught trigger and a good 6:+flip stats it's not that bad! If they don't want to change him he needs to be 8-9ss to be worth it because when you take a big 10ss models he has to be really strong and beneficial to only you! (I really hate Revel in Chaos)

Minimum 3 damage on a model with guaranteed onslaught. That's sounds like a very dangerous combination. I'm glad we don't have that.

Minimum 2 with 4 attacks is still pretty dangerous, on a 6:+flipstat. That probably averages more damage per turn than Archie or Teddy will do.

Revel in Chaos is certainly an action you do not do without thought. That doesn't make it a bad action. You should only use it when you expect a better outcome out of it than your opponent will get. (Either those cards are critical for your plan, or the bonus cards your opponent gets aren't going to help them as much).