Ashigaru Rule Question

Purzel

Does the combination of Take the Hit and Extended Reach (3rd Edition obviously) mean that the Ashigaru can effectively prevent a charge-generated attack on another model? The enemy charges a model in the Ashigaru's range, targets it with the resulting Attack, the Ashigaru jumps in and the attack is not executed because the attacker cannot 'take' it anymore?

Apart from that situational trick, is hiring Ashigaru into a Yan Lo crew viable at all? The Komainu seem much better for only 1 more point. Or are they meant only as summons for Toshiro

19 minutes ago, Purzel said:

Does the combination of Take the Hit and Extended Reach (3rd Edition obviously) mean that the Ashigaru can effectively prevent a charge-generated attack on another model? The enemy charges a model in the Ashigaru's range, targets it with the resulting Attack, the Ashigaru jumps in and the attack is not executed because the attacker cannot 'take' it anymore?

No it doesn't work like that. I'm quoting relevant abilities for ease of reference:

Extended Reach: Enemy models within :ToS-Aura:2 cannot take Attack Actions generated by the Charge Action.

Take the Hit: After an enemy model targets a friendly model within :ToS-Aura:2 with an Attack Action, this model may discard a card to place itself into base contact with the friendly model and become the new target of the Attack Action (ignoring range, LoS, and targeting restrictions).

Beta rulebook page 23 goes into more detail, but in short here's how you resolve an action:

1. Declare the Action (this is where you "take" the action, this is where Extended Reach blocks it)
2. Pay any Costs
3. Targeting (this is where Take the Hit switches the 'target', notice that opportunity to use Extended Reach has passed)
4. Perform Duels
5. Apply Results

19 minutes ago, Purzel said:

Apart from that situational trick, is hiring Ashigaru into a Yan Lo crew viable at all? The Komainu seem much better for only 1 more point. Or are they meant only as summons for Toshiro

We'll see how people play Yan Lo in six months. I'm a big fan of Extended Reach and "only 1 more point" is often the difference between a cache that's comfortable and a cache that's too small. That said, my go-to hire right now are Gokudo.

In the future consider posting rules questions in the rules forum:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/forum/54-malifaux-rules-discussion/

Extended Reach and Take the Hit interaction is hardly limited to resser players.

Thank you for the explanation.

I probably would not have been confused if Extended Reach would state 'cannot declare...' but that's nitpicking since I understand now that the action is 'being taken' in Step 1, when it is declared (and not somewhere over the course of the other steps, which only determine how this happens).

As for Gokudo, alas, they are not for hire in the stores yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been taking at least 1, sometimes two in all of my Yan Lo lists. I use them to help protect Yan Lo early, and I sandwhich Imazu between Manos and one for extra protection. They’re soo good and just make killing models that much harder. 

Plus, it has hard to kill, a zero that can hand out injured and heals your model which I’ve done to get me back above hard to kill, armor, a decent attack with good triggers,and it’s 5 stones. Really good model that does a lot.