Corrupted Idols

Franchute

Interested to hear peoples' takes on Marcus in Idols.

On paper I'm leaning towards Slate Ridge Maulers. Self healing helps them stay independent and with Grit they start punching really hard once down to half wounds. Or maybe I should just throw some cheap crap at Idols.

@nicodemus

He has a few beasts who push at the end of the turn and have the ability to leap so they should always be able to threaten several markers. Clearing it to allow the interact may be a different matter, Cojo has an unresisted push away from him so might have a niche. Can't remember which other beasts have something similar. The rougarou can push but I believe the opponent gets to resist it? 

19 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

@nicodemus

He has a few beasts who push at the end of the turn and have the ability to leap so they should always be able to threaten several markers. Clearing it to allow the interact may be a different matter, Cojo has an unresisted push away from him so might have a niche. Can't remember which other beasts have something similar. The rougarou can push but I believe the opponent gets to resist it? 

Stat5 rst:WP on the Rougarou. Only for NB Marcus. NB seems to have a fair few of those type of effects.

Not that many enemy movement effects in Chimera or Arc beasts. Cojo has that, but it's on a trigger. I really need to put Cojo on the table. I'm so down on him on paper. May or may not be entirely justified. I need to know:D Won't be for a few weeks at least though.

I think with beasts my main way will be to just clear an idol the old fashioned way. Marcus + beast can put down a lot of hurt on someone with chain activation and chimera shenanigans. Throw in a distraction Rattler to mess with another flank or something🐍

• Like 1

Cojo has a toss attack too. It's stat 4 against Sz. But you can only target models with Sz 1 or 2. It's not a bad tool: if you send an enemy 10'' away, he probably won't be able to interact with the strategy marker this turn. With frenzied charge, you can potentially throw two enemy models back.

edit: the above is wrong. Cant charge and toss. See @dannydb's comment below.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Franchute said:

Cojo has a toss attack too. It's stat 4 against Sz. But you can only target models with Sz 1 or 2. It's not a bad tool: if you send an enemy 10'' away, he probably won't be able to interact with the strategy marker this turn. With frenzied charge, you can potentially throw two enemy models back.

Toss isn't a melee attack so you can't charge and use it 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Franchute said:

Suddenly Cojo decreased a lot in value for me. I have been abusing a lot of charge + toss in my games. Hopefully my opponents wont call me a cheater now 😊

dont worry i did a simmler thing with banasuva one game trying to prove that toss was to powerful once with someone

we then fell around laughing at end of the game when we were discussing it and realised

• Like 1

I caught that on my own. Rule nitpicking ftw :P Certainly contributes in me being so down on Cojo.

Reminds me of 2e when people got confused by ml/sh/ca and melee/projectile/non things and how they non-intuitively weren't related at all. I had so many "is it a SHoot attack?" "yes, it's got a gun symbol" exchanges over the years.

Intuitively (you'd think) Toss is a melee action. But it isn't. Need to watch out for that when playing with people. I think Wyrd did a good job at clearing a lot of stuff like that out in the 2e->3e transition but a few remain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ludvig said:

It also means concealment screws with tossing people. 

If you are in concealing terrain, you can ignore up to 1'' of concealing terrain when drawing LoS. You should be ok most of the time. It seems that you cant bypass diesel engine though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

I caught that on my own. Rule nitpicking ftw :P Certainly contributes in me being so down on Cojo.

Reminds me of 2e when people got confused by ml/sh/ca and melee/projectile/non things and how they non-intuitively weren't related at all. I had so many "is it a SHoot attack?" "yes, it's got a gun symbol" exchanges over the years.

Intuitively (you'd think) Toss is a melee action. But it isn't. Need to watch out for that when playing with people. I think Wyrd did a good job at clearing a lot of stuff like that out in the 2e->3e transition but a few remain.

i have a friend who is constantly mocking me playing ironsides (cheating ironsides as she's know) after an unfortunate incident where iron sides killed a Freikorps librarian with good shot my turn in 2nd ed

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Missing the claws on Toss and being an enforcer has led me to two conclusions: I don't see myself putting Cojo on the table anytime soon and I really need to improve my reading comprehension. 

Being able to push Myranda and Marcus 10" on turn 1 is not bad. I tend to have Marcus too far behind because he spends his first activation distributing upgrades and moving a Cerberus and I also need him to be 6'' of those models discarding upgrades later on to draw cards. You also need to be 6'' away to call of the wild. Myranda is also useful  up the board. A cheaper alternative is an initiate but call of the wild is a much shorter mv and it involves a duel. It's just that I prefer it when I thought I could charge+toss 😊

Yesterday I had a good use out of toss to isolate my take prisonner target and score the reveal part of the scheme 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Franchute said:

A cheaper alternative is an initiate but call of the wild is a much shorter mv and it involves a duel. It's just that I prefer it when I thought I could charge+toss 😊

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're talking about using Call of the Wild to move Marcus? Looking at my 3.22.19 beta files, that doesn't seem to be possible. Call of the Wild targets "Friendly beasts". Marcus doesn't have the Beast tag, nor do Mutation upgrades grant it.

It's certainly possible that some changes will be made between 3.22.19 and release day. I've been pouting a bit with some models being Chimera but not beasts, since there's a lot of actions in the Chimera keyword that only work on beasts.

3 hours ago, dannydb said:

i have a friend who is constantly mocking me playing ironsides (cheating ironsides as she's know) after an unfortunate incident where iron sides killed a Freikorps librarian with good shot my turn in 2nd ed

2e had its gotchas. Good game regardless:)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

@Nikodemus you're correct! I always get messed up between beasts and chimera models. This makes Cojo better this time 😉

The other instance is Myranda Def buff: it's for Chimera models only, not necessarily beasts.

Yeah I "complained" to a friend that Marcus has a surprising amount of things to sort out when learning. You've got Chimera models. Beast Models. Chimera Beast models. Stuff that works on Chimera. Stuff that works on Beasts. And nothing short of memorisation will get you through it.

• Agree 2

On 6/14/2019 at 1:56 AM, Ludvig said:

I also read toss wrong. You'd think needing to get a grip on someone while they are resisting to be very similar to getting a hit in with a melee weapon. It also means concealment screws with tossing people. 

actually no because you ignore 1" of concealing terrain when you are in it and toss only has a 1" range

7 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

actually no because you ignore 1" of concealing terrain when you are in it and toss only has a 1" range

That's true when considering concealing terrain.

But some effects merely grant Concealment without being terrain as such. An example would be Sputtering Exhaust:

Sputtering Exhaust: Models within :ToS-Aura:2 of this model have Concealment.

The ~3" bubble isn't concealing terrain. I can shoot through it without any -flips. But soon as I target a model within that aura, they're considered to be under concealment. Doesn't matter if I'm within 1" of them or not.

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

That's true when considering concealing terrain.

But some effects merely grant Concealment without being terrain as such. An example would be Sputtering Exhaust:

Sputtering Exhaust: Models within :ToS-Aura:2 of this model have Concealment.

The ~3" bubble isn't concealing terrain. I can shoot through it without any -flips. But soon as I target a model within that aura, they're considered to be under concealment. Doesn't matter if I'm within 1" of them or not.

Sucks pretty bad if you put the concealment aura on a construct that wants to toss people. 😅 

• Haha 1