Starting with Zoraida (purchase help needed)

NAX3011

Hello,

I'm new to Malifaux and want to be prepared for the 3rd Edition.

What I got for now is the Crew Box.

Now the question is are the following boxes needed? Could I cancle one, do I need another one?

Shopping Cart:

McTavish

Amphinious Assault

Will o' the Wisp

Adze

Waldgeist

Vasilisa

Wicked Dolls

Thank you for your advices!

Greetings Nax.

I've found myself using McTavish and Waldgeists very sparingly and have lately mostly used Vasilisa instead of Spawn Mother with Zoraida. You might perhaps want to swap out a couple of those to get the Zipp box for The First Mate as he is all around awesome and at least one Gatreaux Bokor for the healing and extra Obey.

Disclaimer: McTavish seems to have gotten a bit better since last time I played him, you might want to hang on to him.

Thank you. That's totally something different I keep this in my mind. 

I need to say Vasilisa is a ugly miniature I don't like the look very much. Having Zoraida and Vasilisa in one crew looks like a granny swamp party xD, so I would not be sad if I would not need her or is Vasilisa an "autoinclude"?

From mostly reading cards a lot I think gupps and wicked dolls fill very similar roles so you might start with the dolls and get amphibious assault later. Edit: if you hate a model don't get it, especially not right away when starting out. If you find yourself really needing her later you can get her but very few models are mandatory. Vasilisa has a brutal attack if the enemy can't discard for it but she also summons so you will end up wanting to get stitched together making her not a very budget option unless you intend to expand to other nvb masters soon. 

Is this the kind of situation where you can only mail order in large batches or could you add single boxes later? 

• Agree 1

Honestly, my local store has a massive price reduction now and as I live in the EU my local store does not know if he gets another box and when. 

So I end up with "I want to buy everything before M3E drops" to have the oppertunity to swap things out. No matter if I only would use them in one match.

What I don't want is to spend money in an useless minature wich completly has no use.

Ludvig has it right: Get a box of Stitched Together if you're getting Vasilisa. If not then stick with the Swampfiend theme and get Amphibious Assault. They're both good but summoning Stitched in w Vasilisa using Voodoo Doll scrap has got to be some of the most cost effective summoning in the game atm. None of the models you've listed are useless by any means but if I were to drop a single item it would probably have to be Waldgeists. But get the Gatreaux Bokor, you won't regret it.

Vasilisa isn't sold separately in m2e so I'm guessing you are looking at the Collodi box. I would add stitched together because you will want them with her. 

How about bokors and gators for the complete swampfiend collection? Gators look very cheap for a model with flurry and Zoraida can replenish her hand so should be able to pay the cost. I've heard a lot of praise for bokors. 

I would recommend you also Doppelganger (great utility model), if you want to use McTavish, she won't be as strong as in 2nd ed (three ignoring armor shots), but still she doubles your shooting (by the way - does she use mimic stat for copied attack? It's not so clear for me, but if yes - then you will have 2 stat 7 shots + 1 more stat 7 shot from Zoraida's obey to trigger Following Orders to draw a extra card).

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, NAX3011 said:

Thank you very much.

You said that I should aim for the first Mate, is he an autoinclude?

In my view nothing in the game is an auto include. Some models will help in some scheme/strategy combinations more than others would, but nothing is essential for you to own.

I would normally suggest playing a few games and seeing what you feel is lacking, but if you are currently looking for M2E bargains...

Zoraida is duel faction, so you start off deciding if you want to play her as Neverborn, Bayou, or both.

Next thing I would look to is her keyword - Swampfiend. She has quite a wide selection from here to choose from, and you will probably use them in several games regardless of the faction you choose. You don't need to own them all at once (or strictly ever), but if they seem really good price now, and you can afford them, go for it.

The biggest choice is on 1st Mate as he appears in the Zipp box, so you would need the whoel box for that 1 figure. If you're planning on playing as Bayou, then its fine, you'll probably want zipp at some point as a fun master, but if you were intending to only play as Neverborn, I would put it quite low down on your list.

After that you would want to look at Versatile models from the factions you think you want to play, and finally out of keyword models for those factions that look like they combo well.

At all points consider if you like the look of the model. If you don't like what it looks like, I wouldn't rush to own it. If you find later on that its really good rules for you, then you can come back and consider it.  If you are trying to get maximum efficiency in your list you may end up using sculpts you don't like, but you can do just fine with a slightly different list almost all of the time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So shopping was done.

It got completly out of control. I ended up with wanting some miniatures for Zipp too.

Shopping cart was like

Zoraida Crew

Zipp Crew

Collodi Crew

Will o Whisp

Azde

Stiched Together

McTavish

Bayou Gators

Sparks

Porkchop

Bokors

Merris Lacroix

Amphibious Assault

...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those dual faction masters are such a slippery slope. I started playing tara in 2e, but I really liked neverborn better visually as a faction. So I got a lot of neverborn, including Lucius. That in turn led med to more guild models, so I got Lady J. And then I figuered I already had some outcasts, and those Viktorias look fun.... Figuring I already had a fair bit of outcasts, that cat lady nightmare crew looks damn good too, should be fun right? Que M3E, and Marcus is now a dual faction Neverborn master with some nice looking models, got to try that too...

So now I'm trying really hard not to buy some cool looking arcanist models as well.... We'll see how long I can hold out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NAX3011 said:

Is the Bad JuJu not used these days?

I like Bad Juju, but it's a matter of what you need out of a Zoraida crew. In his case, "unkillable Eyes in the Night node" was his purpose, and he served well. The Silurids are generally better at this purpose between Stealth and Butterfly Jump though. 

I'm really confused about the crew building. I have a few lists and really don't know what I'm doing xD.

1st.:

Swamp Team. 50SS.

Zoraida (3SS Cache)
Spawn Mother (8)
The First Mate (9)
Gautreaux Bokor (6)
-Eldritch Magic
Gupps (3)
Gupps (3)
Silurid (6)
Silurid (6)
Will o' the Wisp (4)

2nd

Playing with the puppets. 50SS.

Zoraida (6SS Cache)
-Eldritch Magic
Hinamatsu (9)
-Inhuman Reflexes
Vasilisa (8)
Wicked Doll (3)
Wicked Doll (3)
Wicked Doll (3)
Stitched Together (7)
Stitched Together (7)

(here I could switch an Stiched and adding an Teddy, and having an SS Cache of 2)