Misaki crew advice

Mikes

So I'm interested in stretching from guild into TT, a move eniterly prompted by Misakis crew box, the archers and snipers, but other than seeing her ability to alpha strike I'm  pretty much clueless about her crew make up and details.

Is she stone dependent? Would i need to make sure i have  decent cache?

Can a decent crew be made entirely with keyword and versatile models? 

What kind of things should worry me on the board?

Any pointers would  be welcome.

Misaki is a pretty versatile master who can do just about any strategy and scheme combination fairly well and she can do it with her keyword and versatile models entirely. She has access to condition removal, armor penetration, ruthless, anti-demise abilities, good scheme runners, and good damage output. Misaki herself isn't too stone dependent, but if you're bringing multiple henchmen (Ototo, Minako) collectively you can certainly benefit from a decent cache. 

The crew is very mobile between Misaki herself and Torakage, so she doesn't worry too much about accomplishing schemes. The Katashiro that Minako can summon can support scheme running too, 

Misaki can be a lot of different things, depending on your needs. She's generally pretty good at killing off scheme runners, ordering Ototo to charge, and scheme running herself rather than doing direct damage herself. But she can certainly get in these and mix it up in melee if you need her there. She has a stat 7 attack with charge through. Other than high stats she doesn't have any defensive abilities though. Her best defense is really being on the table only where you want her to be and only where she'll be safe. I don't think I've had Misaki killed in M3e yet, but I can't promise you that. 

Good versatile models are Samurai and Tanuki. Lone Swordsman is good, but I don't think you'll use him instead of a Crime Boss, which I prefer over Wuoku Raiders. Yasunori is always fantasitc. The Shadow Effigy is good to have. Other than those versatile models I would feel happy with the Last Blossom keyword. You'll need the Katashiro that Minako can summon which are not in keyword as well. 

She's a fun master to play (my favorite in the latter part of 2e and that has carried over to 3e). You'll have fun with her. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

As far as budget options, Crew box+samurai alone gives you a well rounded crew with some ranged, anti armor, AoE, scheme running, and bulk.

A bit more expensive money wise, but Minako Rei makes a wonderful addition as her summons add some support and mobility to operate either as scheme runners or decent attackers.

The above should be sufficient, but Yamaziko and Snipers can be quite good for gunlines. Tanuki are undercosted support atm.

The only out of keyword/versatile units I would consider are a geisha or rail worker for either lure or fling respectively.

• Like 1

I've used pretty well the whole gamut with Misaki in one way, shape or form other than archers. One of the best things about Last Blossom is there's so much depth between keyword and versatile models that I really don't think there's going to be a "best" list. There are so many fun combos to find! 

My favourite dedicated shooter is by far Fuhatsu and a Tanuki. The amount of damage he can put out is phenomenal. Otherwise, I like the range and From the Shadows on Snipers. Have Yamaziko toddle on up to give them a + and they'll be doing solid damage from turn 1. Just to be mean, I like to supplement that group with a Samurai and Effissary. 

Honestly for ppwer, I agree with getting the box set and samurai for short term success. If you want to stay keyword and go long term, box set and either Crime Bosses or Wokou Raiders, followed by Yamaziko and Snipers. 

12 hours ago, Trample said:

Lone Swordsman is good, but I don't think you'll use him instead of a Crime Boss, which I prefer over Wuoku Raiders.

Can you break this down for me as I'm the opposite. I love the Lone Swordsman, I find he's bonus move easier to use, he's quicker, tankier and is a fantastic finisher with Last Breathe. The Wokou Raiders I love for the +to hit with their swords. I also like that they have a gun. They make a great flanker piece. The biggest benefit the Crime Boss has is 2" reach. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Da Git said:

Can you break this down for me as I'm the opposite. I love the Lone Swordsman, I find he's bonus move easier to use, he's quicker, tankier and is a fantastic finisher with Last Breathe. The Wokou Raiders I love for the +to hit with their swords. I also like that they have a gun. They make a great flanker piece. The biggest benefit the Crime Boss has is 2" reach. 

Sure. The + to attack on the Raider is certainly good, but I prefer the 6 stat with the 3/4/5 and 2" to the 5+ 2/4/5 and 1". The Raider probably has a very slightly better chance to hit but min 3 with 2" reach is really nice. The ranged attack on the Crime Boss is actually pretty good too and will normally result in 2 damage and a discard (but doesn't have a gun icon). I also like the Boss' immediate action since it can provide pretty good movement and sometimes generate an extra attack. 

The Lone Swordsman is really good, and there isn't anything wrong with taking him. His value is going to come against an enforcer or henchman heavy opponent. If I knew I was facing that I would take him over the boss. Otherwise I really like the 2" reach. I do agree his bonus move is a bit easier and he is tankier. Nothing wrong with using him and, I will admit, my last Misaki game had a Swordsman and not a Boss! In that particular case I brought him for his ruthless, which can be very handy. 

All 3 are solid models, so I don't think you can go wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Mikes said:

Thanks again guys. Just ordered rhe crew box and would like to start with something ranged as well. What's the opinion on archers vs snipers?

Samurai are my favorite, but between these two I'm still not sure. On paper I like the archers better for their ability to remove scheme markers but on the table I've liked the Snipers more because too often these guys end up in melee even when you try to avoid it and Snipers fare better there. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am bought some figurines to make a team Misaki while waiting for the release of the new team:

Katanaka Sniper (2)
Dawn Serpent
Yamaziko
Izamu The Armor
Fuhatsu
Crime Bosses (2)
Lone Swordsman

I think there is the possibility of doing things very fun with these figs

7 hours ago, korgal said:

I am bought some figurines to make a team Misaki while waiting for the release of the new team:

Katanaka Sniper (2)
Dawn Serpent
Yamaziko
Izamu The Armor
Fuhatsu
Crime Bosses (2)
Lone Swordsman

I think there is the possibility of doing things very fun with these figs

I'd add Samurai and maybe Wokou raiders to that list, but otherwise, you have a very solid core... Oh and definitely Tanuki, these guys are all the support you could wish for in one cute, drunken, furry package!

Not sure about Izamu... not when a Samurai is 2ss cheaper.

Snipers are highly effective at damaging enemy models every turn of the game.  Given her alpha capability, and how she wants to dive her crew forward early, having anything to help put damage down-range is very very good.

Gearing up a beater with Masked Agent, and then having Misaki Oyabun's Command then make that model charge while Misaki is herself in range - you have charged a model in (if it's Ototo you get CHARGE THROUGH!) and you have taxi'd Misaki to the potentially far-side of a model Ototo was just barely engaging.

If you carry stones into a fight both she and Ototo will be able to use them for extra damage and mitigation.  If you bring Minako (an almost always take of mine) you should allot 2 stones for her summoning at least.  She needs a 10TOME and a Shadow Marker for that Katashiro.

Ototo and Minako hired in, 6-8 stones wont go to waste.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Outplayed said:

Gearing up a beater with Masked Agent, and then having Misaki Oyabun's Command then make that model charge while Misaki is herself in range - you have charged a model in (if it's Ototo you get CHARGE THROUGH!) and you have taxi'd Misaki to the potentially far-side of a model Ototo was just barely engaging.

Ok, that's awesome. Thank you

• Like 1

Since 3e came out, I actually haven't ran Misaki with any versatile non-Last-Blossom models.

The Crime Bosses are fun models that can hit hard, but also have support options.

The Torakage are great scheme runners.

Wokou Raiders are the only model I'm not 100% sure of--I just haven't played them that much for whatever reason (they aren't as well painted as my crime bosses is the reason, tbh). But the few games they've been on the table they've done good things.

Ototo is actually usable again. Yamaziko isn't as good as she used to be at the end of 2e, but she's still great, and can be very dangerous.

Archers are decent, as are snipers, depending on your pool of schemes.  I think it's worth having one or the other, but both can be good.

Minako Rei is great--I like having a bit of summoning to either even the odds, or just run schemes.

As for Misaki herself, she's such a good master right now.  Being able to bounce around makes her hard to pin down (i.e. hard to kill), but where other Masters in TT who can bounce out (like Mei) are somewhat limited in where you place your scrap, Misaki can pick where to drop her shadows, and can reach farther.

All in all, her thematic crew are all decent models and worth taking depending on your pool.  While TT has some cool versatile models that are nice to have, I almost think that Misaki is self-sufficient enough to not need them if you don't want to bring them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Drowsheep said:

All in all, her thematic crew are all decent models and worth taking depending on your pool.  While TT has some cool versatile models that are nice to have, I almost think that Misaki is self-sufficient enough to not need them if you don't want to bring them.

At the same time I'd say Misaki isn't tied to her keyword the same way as Yan Lo for instance. I think optimal list will have more Last Blossom in it than not, but as a midtable mediocrity I feel pretty comfortable whether I'm playing in or out of theme with Misaki.

I bring Wokou as a counter pick to scheme marker pools/keywords. They've been ok. Not an "every game" pick. I like how I've painted mine:P

9 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

My buddy used to run Misaki with a gunline back in M2.

Misaki

Ototo

Fuhatsu

Katanaka Sniper

Thunder Archer

Samurai

I recently got his models, eager to try it out.

Most of those models are way better in 3e so you should be good:P

30 minutes ago, Figgyfigs said:

Which upgrades do you guys like for Last Blossom crews?

2x Trained Ninja pretty much always. Comboing Stealth with Extended Reach makes for reasonably tanky models.

Masked Agent fits in nicely in a crew where everyone wants to be charging in and out of activation.  Usually I put it on Ototo. He gets less out of Trained Ninja anyway. But any melee model will work at least ok with Masked Agent.

Silent Protector doesn't really fit in with my usual Last Blossom crews. There's a decent amount of hard to kill in my favoured models as is. It's nice on a Samurai I guess. But usually no, I'd rather spend my Last Blossom ss on something else.

8 minutes ago, LeperColony said:

Samurai honestly seem almost too good to be minions, just because of how Upgrades work now.

My main gripe with them is the ease at which they can deal 6 damage at 12" range in 1 action. Turning them into enforcers won't change that.

But sure, if they do get nerfed eventually, becoming enforcers will eat some of their power and synergies away. It would be an "easy fix" without touching Gatling Gun (shared by other models) nor their concentrate bonus (which works nicely with their melee without being over the top in that respect).

I'll be 100% honest and say I don't think I've purchased a single non-thematic upgrade this entire third edition.

They seem good, but I just never have the soulstones for them--I'd much rather do something else with them, I guess?

23 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

At the same time I'd say Misaki isn't tied to her keyword the same way as Yan Lo for instance. I think optimal list will have more Last Blossom in it than not, but as a midtable mediocrity I feel pretty comfortable whether I'm playing in or out of theme with Misaki.

I bring Wokou as a counter pick to scheme marker pools/keywords. They've been ok. Not an "every game" pick. I like how I've painted mine:P

And I totally agree, I think that is definitely another strength that she has--she can work with almost anything on the table.  While her thematic crew does get benefits from her markers, you could easily enough replace them with other models and Misaki still functions.

I think that with the many options she brings to the table, just from her thematic crew options, you have a wide range of models (utility, damage, scheme running, etc).  I really love thematic synergy, so I'm all about running her thematic crew.  But yeah, she definitely doesn't suffer at all from getting other models on the board.