Sparks' aura (hazardous terrain)

Erik1978

Question

What happens if Sparks is standing in a sea of scrap markers, and Hungering Darkness has 1 wound left and attacks and kills him?

Darkness takes 1 damage (and injury+1) after completing the action, right?

But then Sparks is dead... but when he took the action there was hazardous terrain?

We played it like he attacked in hazardous and killed Sparks but died himself because the scrap was hazardous when he made the action.

7 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

We play it the other way, that hazardous checks at the end of resolving the action, at which time the generator of the hazardous aura is already dead and the aura is no more.

As the owner of the Vent Steam model generally, I’d certainly prefer it to be otherwise, but...

Why does it matter that the aura disappeared?

The model was in hazardous terrain while resolving an action, so it should suffer the effects of that terrain.  Essentially the same way it would if it had started the action in the hazardous terrain and then buried itself, placed itself, or even better buried or moved Sparks without killing Sparks.

• Like 1

Page 23 of the beta rules: 

A model is considered to be resolving an Action during every part of the “Resolving Actions” process. For instance, if a model was in Hazardous Terrain (pg. @@) during any part of the “Resolving Actions” process, the effects of the Hazardous Terrain are applied to the model after the Action resolves.

I think it's pretty clear the model was in hazardous terrain at some point of the action resolution.

We play it the other way, that hazardous checks at the end of resolving the action, at which time the generator of the hazardous aura is already dead and the aura is no more.

As the owner of the Vent Steam model generally, I’d certainly prefer it to be otherwise, but...

39 minutes ago, solkan said:

Why does it matter that the aura disappeared?

I'm fine with this, but let me clarify something near and dear to my heart on that "fully resolve before the aura isn't there anymore" principle;
Nekima's Teach Them Fear aura. 
A 1 wound guard charges Nekima, and kills her, but suffers a point of black blood damage. This kills the guard. Does Nekima then heal for killing something, and return to life?

1 hour ago, Kharnage said:

I'm fine with this, but let me clarify something near and dear to my heart on that "fully resolve before the aura isn't there anymore" principle;
Nekima's Teach Them Fear aura. 
A 1 wound guard charges Nekima, and kills her, but suffers a point of black blood damage. This kills the guard. Does Nekima then heal for killing something, and return to life?

Not the same principle, since the marker is hazardous during the time that Huggy is resolving it's action, so it takes the damage. It's no different than if Huggy moved out of the marker since the end result is "Huggy wasn't in hazardous terrain when the action finished resolving". As for your question, 

Guard damages nekima. Nekima suffers the damage in step 4. Step 5 is when Black Blood resolves so Nekima is still on the board. At this point the damage against the Guard is resolved, so we go through all those steps and get to Step 6 of the guard taking damage, which is when Teach Them Fear happens and Nekima heals one (in step 6c). Now we go back to Nekima who resolves her Step 6 which is when the game checks to see if she's at 0 Wds. Since Nekima is not on 0 Wds at this point she is not killed.

So, since a model may never be reduced below 0, Nekima is functionally immortal as long as there's an enemy with 1 Wd within 1" of her.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

Nekima is functionally immortal

😈
As for the hazardous terrain aura generator business, "if it was at any point hazardous" prevailing makes enough sense to me. I wasn't 100% sure of it when I played into @Gnomezilla, and I think overall this means Lilith died having not snapped as many plants as she could have. Good to know however!