Playing as Hamelin vs Lady J - crew building help required

whodares

I've got a couple of games lined up and my Catelyn box is painted so it's time to bust out the cats. Our group generates schemes and then declares faction + master, so we are building a crew without looking at the terrain in general. We do try to keep it fair when actually building the map.

So I declared Outcasts - Hamelin and my opponent went for Guild - Lady "let me blend that" J.

We've got Plant Explosives on Corner Deployment. The schemes are Detonate Charges, Breakthrough, Harness The Ley Line, Search The Ruins and Take Prisoner.

My plan was to go for a combination of Breakthrough, Harness The Ley Line and Search The Ruins.

The crew I had in mind:

• 6 stones left
  • Hamelin
  • 3x Stolen
  • Nix
  • Benny
  • Emissary
  • Obedient Wretch
  • 2x Malifaux Rat
  • The Midnight Stalker with Soldier For Hire Upgrade

Game plan: The Stalker can easily do either of those 3 singlehandedly thanks to not dying, Leap, Demise(Eternal) and free Fast from Turn 2 onwards. He'll probably be doing Breakthrough as he makes that rather trivial, so that leaves me with Harness and Search The Ruins.

Depending on the eventual board, I will probably go for Harness as I have the Emissary. He can give 1 model "Don't Mind Me" and he can also drop a Scheme Marker for a Free Action. If the Terrain setup favors Search The Ruins, I will take that. I will also try and fake out the one I didn't choose so it doesn't become immediately apparant which one I took.

Turn 1 I will do the trick with Benny to create 4 Rats and use Hamelin to give them all Focus so I have one very strong Rat King (Focus +4). This will leave me with 2 Rats left who will probably Turn into a King when the game goes on Turn 3.

I feel like this list has a decent chance against Lady J as the models are decently durable and won't get one-rounded right away. If they can survive for a couple of Turns, the Blight Tokens will have stacked, allowing my Bleeding Disease a fighting chance.

Any suggestions?

41 minutes ago, whodares said:

Turn 1 I will do the trick with Benny to create 4 Rats and use Hamelin to give them all Focus so I have one very strong Rat King (Focus +4). This will leave me with 2 Rats left who will probably Turn into a King when the game goes on Turn 3.

It doesn't work like that. Replacing multiple models lets you keep the highest condition, not add them all together

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Adran said:

It doesn't work like that. Replacing multiple models lets you keep the highest condition, not add them all together

Well fml. Guess I want my beta back now :P

Any other remarks? I've spent the last couple of days rereading the rules, but it seems I can't keep it all in my head.

Any suggestions regarding crew and game plan? Seems legit or do you think it's a big fail?

• Haha 1

The basic plan seems solid. Other than considering Take prisoner when you see the opponents crew. (Some models/set ups do just seem to ask for it).

Hamlins big advantage is his ability to outactivate his opponent thanks to the replace rules and Rat kings. . I would probably start each turn with using your rats to remove pass tokens. You probably can't rely on them surviving long enough to get to activate, and this at least counters the pass tokens they have just given away and so preserves your activation control possibiliites.  It also gives your opponent a hard choice, kill the rats and give you cards, or don't kill them and leave them as resources for you to use.

Justice will be able to kill large amounts of the crew if that's what she decides, accept it. Try not to make it too easy for her, but if all she is doing is culling rats, then you're in a good place. Try to not let her hit Hamlin and more than 1 stolen at the same time.

I'm not sure if I would have tried to get another big hitter in the crew, or use Blight as my big hitter. I can't remember what I normally added to Plague, if anything.

If I was facing your list I would probably focus on killing the stalker because he looks the model most likely to get  explosives down and score at least 1 scheme. That might be just my reaction to the annoyance of facing him. You have put a decent amount into keeping him safe with Hard to kill but you might also want to consider where you do place him.

• 1 month later...