New Player Advice as

GossWeapon

Hello All!  Brand new player getting into the game for 3E and looking for some purchase and more importantly list building advice.

So far I have:  Shenlong box, Misaki box, Archers, Tanuki, Wandering River Monks, Crime Bosses, and TT Brothers

Am I missing any staples (outside the Shadow Fate box)?  List building I find if I add Misaki or Shenlong to the other's list I don't get very many models.  Is there a rule of thumb on how many SS remaining I want or what support models to include per master?

All comments greatly appreciated

I would stick to one Keyword with a Versatile model or two until you get a better handle on things.

Looking at that list, you've got a solid start for Last Blossom with the Misaki box, and Crime Bosses. Tanuki are always a solid choice for support and the Archers provide ranged firepower.

Start with that, aim for 45 Soulstones and play some games. You'll soon work out if you need to adjust the leftover SS for whatever you need to do.

Once you've got your head round Misaki, then play a few games with the Monks. The Versatile models will fit nicely there too I think!

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, theamazingmrg said:

I would stick to one Keyword with a Versatile model or two until you get a better handle on things.

Looking at that list, you've got a solid start for Last Blossom with the Misaki box, and Crime Bosses. Tanuki are always a solid choice for support and the Archers provide ranged firepower.

Start with that, aim for 45 Soulstones and play some games. You'll soon work out if you need to adjust the leftover SS for whatever you need to do.

Once you've got your head round Misaki, then play a few games with the Monks. The Versatile models will fit nicely there too I think!

If I can give you some advice, it would be :

• Define Scheme pool a day or two before the game so you will have some time making your crew
  • don't take too many different models (one of each to test them will surely make things a lot more complicated)
  • Read your cards at least once or twice before getting into your game
  • If there are some deployment stuff to do (tanuki should be close to some model that will need focus), try to think about those before the actual deployment.

Now for your list :
Something like :

• Misaki & Shang (free with 6 soulstones)
  • torakage x3 (18),
  • crime bossx2 (16),
  • tanuki x2 (10)

Don't take items.
Now you'll have to understand how the team works with the shadow markers. It will be easier to learn some models and mechanism if you made some resilient choices. You'll be able to focus on the objectives and the models.

But you should probably play a 30-35 soulstones team for your first game.
I'd say :

• Misaki & Shang (free) with 2 soulstones,
  • torakage x2 (12),
  • crime bossx2 (16)

• Agree 2

My advice.

Nothing is an essential. You have enough models to make playable lists so the best thing to do is use what you have. 

My advice for learning the game and my advice for list building are at odds.

To learn the game most people want to have multiples of the same model, because then they have less profiles to learn, and they get a better idea of ways to use models by having to use the same model in different circumstances. You probably want to stick with fairly similar lists until you are comfortable with the basic game rules. You might try 1 game with 3 torkage, and then 1 game with 2 and a high cache to get an idea of how many soulstones you want for example.  The amount of soulstone you want will depend on how you play, and what masters you are using. Likewise activation numbers will depend on what you like, and what sort of game you are playing.

Once you're happy enough with your understanding of the rules you will want to start creating your list to match the board and the game each time.

Now you can start to evaluate what you think you are lacking, and do you need to try and get it in your crew.

For example you might find you struggle against armour lists, so you might pick up some Samurai with their armour ignoring swords. You might find you're struggling to do movement schemes so look for a fast moving model (i'd normally say wandering monks, but you already have them)

People that have taken part in the Beta will have some combinations they like, but most people haven't really had a chance to really confirm things like what support models they want for a certain master.

• Agree 3