Good OOK Models

retnab

So with M3e's release later this month, figured it's time to start talking OOK models.  Who do you take out of their keyword and when?

I'll start us off by pointing to Cassandra, who is both an excellent scheme runner thanks to Mv 5, Nimble, Don't Mind Me, Celebrity, and Changing Plans, as well as Upstage letting her fit into basically any crew and borrow their gimmick (personally I find it funny taking her in the Foundry and combo'ing Finesse and borrowing Vent Steam for pseudo-Serene Countenance, or borrowing Off The Rails and just ram through the enemy lol).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Amina for a nice stat7 obey and SS generation could be really good in some pools.

Shoutout to Angelica, who can place a scheme marker over 11in away for a 5:ToS-Tome:. In the right pool it could be good enough to give her the upgrade to let her use SS.

• Agree 1

Oxford mages are good condition removal in an area!

silent one are good for healing things at long range, i guess Medical Automaton could do it at a shorter range for less points but not used them.

Wind gamin are great schemers

The essence of power is good in raspy list 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dannydb said:

Oxford mages are good condition removal in an area!

Anybody keeping half an eye on the open beta forums will probably be tired of hearing me say this but the OM is pretty amazing in general. The condition removal is pretty ace but also bear in mind the trigger "Elemental Transference: Either remove a Scrap Marker in base contact with the target, end Slow on the target, or reduce the value of the target's Burning or Poison Condition by 2. After resolving, either Drop a Scrap Marker in base contact with the target or the target gains either Slow, Burning +2, or Poison +2."

Note the "after resolving" part. This means that given a tome, even a 1, you can put Slow on any target that is either in base contact w scrap or has a Burning or Poison value at 2+ unresisted since it goes off even if the attack misses. That is pretty strong in crews that juggles these mechanics or vs other crews that use them.

15 minutes ago, Barmution said:

Anybody keeping half an eye on the open beta forums will probably be tired of hearing me say this but the OM is pretty amazing in general. The condition removal is pretty ace but also bear in mind the trigger "Elemental Transference: Either remove a Scrap Marker in base contact with the target, end Slow on the target, or reduce the value of the target's Burning or Poison Condition by 2. After resolving, either Drop a Scrap Marker in base contact with the target or the target gains either Slow, Burning +2, or Poison +2."

Note the "after resolving" part. This means that given a tome, even a 1, you can put Slow on any target that is either in base contact w scrap or has a Burning or Poison value at 2+ unresisted since it goes off even if the attack misses. That is pretty strong in crews that juggles these mechanics or vs other crews that use them.

I see your point with the trigger being after resolving and not requiring success. But you still need to pay the cost to get the trigger right? So it's probably only as important as it is for the opponent... 

Stranding a non-walking forge Foundry model sitting on scrap. Cool of a Kaeris model, annoy mcmorning, and put slow on them?

32 minutes ago, frumpypigskin said:

I see your point with the trigger being after resolving and not requiring success. But you still need to pay the cost to get the trigger right? So it's probably only as important as it is for the opponent... 

Stranding a non-walking forge Foundry model sitting on scrap. Cool of a Kaeris model, annoy mcmorning, and put slow on them?

Indeed. Their best use is obviously in your own crews that generate scrap or put out fire or poison, but there's a niche for them as enemy condition dampeners vs some other crews too. If you're facing something that puts stuff on your models and you've got a low tome on hand you could always target yourself and get a nice piece of scrap instead. I wouldn't necessary recommend them vs McMourning due to Rancid Transplant tho, would end opp being a really weird condition ping pong match.

1 hour ago, dannydb said:

While on the topic of Oxford mages. How do they work with conditions you get when you activate (of you have a model standing in say both a mages aura and bad juju can you get stunned and then get rid of stun?

You choose the order of things that affect your model, so yes you can gain Stunned and then lose it

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Coryphee Duet could be an interesting one to pick up for 13SS. It takes a lot to put down. 

I also think Fitzsimmons could be an interesting one to consider. Destroying their markers as well as dropping your own against them could be good. Plus, stripping burning off, say, a Fire Golem is pretty relevant against Kaeris and potentially Sandeep.

Shoutout to the steampowered scoundrels for pointing out this interaction for the coryphee duet.... I've not tried this as I don't own them but it sounds like it'll make them a crazy OOK pick....

If you have the duet to start (why wouldn't you, you save 1ss of tax!?!) You can use its activation and dance apart at the end, then the chosen coryphee to have NOT activated (as part of the replace rules only one has activated) can then Dance together at the start of its activation and continue with the rest of its activation as the duet again... Reactivate minus the bonus actions for the duet per turn...

The main limitation seems to be that if the duet can't do this trick if it's below half health or it dies before it gets replaced. (I skim read, corrected below. It just takes half current health off)

This seems pretty darn strong.... It gives activation control as well....

Who's tried this?

The damage is half its current health. So as long as the corephyee duet is on 2 health it can successfully change into 2 corephyee (who would both be on 1 health). When they join back together the duet would be back on 2 health again.

This mechanic is why the duet is the most expensive model that isn't a master.  You are trading 1 walk action (nimble) and a little more durability for 2 general actions and an extra activation. Its pretty good, and I would expect the duet to dance apart and together most turns you are using it. It is worth knowing when you don't want to dance together (I used my duet to drop 3 scheme markers in the last turn to score me 2 points for schemes, but it meant that it ended up as 2 corephyee, so it would have been more costly to do if there were turns remaining)

• Agree 1

Union Miner can do schemes like Leyline, Detonate, and Search the Ruins on it's own thanks to False Claim. Can also be used to give Cojo a pile of Focus with his Mark Territory action.

Metal Gamin score the end of game portion of Dig Graves on their own.

Scorpius could be very very mean if your opponent names Brewmaster or McMourning. It'll tear through most of their models if they build up the poisoning.

Mobile Toolkit is really nice with Mei Feng, Handing out Focused and Healing a pretty significant amount with its built in trigger makes it a nice cheap inclusion for some added defence

Cojo is nice, if only for access to Toss. I still want to try the strategy of throwing a Steam Arachnid Swarm at the enemy master turn 1 and alpha striking them down.

I've taken Gunsmith in certain crews. While it's true that Arcanists already have Saboteur, Gunsmiths give some really nice ranged presence to crews that lack solid ranged options. I view it as halfway between a Saboteur and Envy.

Langston could have a place if you know your opponent is going to be trying to force through scheme markers, or if you can drop a ton of them yourself with the likes of Colette (though if you're suspect on this, you'd be much better off just grabbing the Steam Arachnid Swarm)

Medical Automaton looks like it'd be a fantastic pickup for Ironsides, considering the synergy between Grit and Emergency Mode, although I lack the practice with Ironsides to be sure. Admittedly her crew already seems very bubble-y, so it could just end up compounding on their weaknesses

10 hours ago, Alex108 said:

Scorpius could be very very mean if your opponent names Brewmaster or McMourning. It'll tear through most of their models if they build up the poisoning.

Mobile Toolkit is really nice with Mei Feng, Handing out Focused and Healing a pretty significant amount with its built in trigger makes it a nice cheap inclusion for some added defence

Cojo is nice, if only for access to Toss. I still want to try the strategy of throwing a Steam Arachnid Swarm at the enemy master turn 1 and alpha striking them down.

I've taken Gunsmith in certain crews. While it's true that Arcanists already have Saboteur, Gunsmiths give some really nice ranged presence to crews that lack solid ranged options. I view it as halfway between a Saboteur and Envy.

Langston could have a place if you know your opponent is going to be trying to force through scheme markers, or if you can drop a ton of them yourself with the likes of Colette (though if you're suspect on this, you'd be much better off just grabbing the Steam Arachnid Swarm)

Medical Automaton looks like it'd be a fantastic pickup for Ironsides, considering the synergy between Grit and Emergency Mode, although I lack the practice with Ironsides to be sure. Admittedly her crew already seems very bubble-y, so it could just end up compounding on their weaknesses

Some good thoughts. Scorp does make a good counter tech pick.

I don't think Howard works quite as you're suggesting. Trail of gore is enemy scheme markers and any time you're controlling enemy actions they drop markers friendly to the controller, not the model, unless otherwise specified. (P28, one of the dot points)

23 hours ago, valkirsWrath said:

I've given it some thought and since Angelica can use her 5" move bonus action on her self she could be a really good scheme runner. She can walk six, use give em an encore for five and then drop a scheme marker ten inches away with a tome. Seems decent ook for 7+tax. 

Not just 10", you get the length of the shockwave marker too, so it's a bit over 11. I've wondered if she's worth the SS use upgrade to guarantee the tome for that trigger.